Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  09:15:36  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I know that, I was just speculating what would happen to half-elven house after the Fall ...

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  01:32:14  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I've just read through Sleep of Ages, which I think looks a great adventure (no current plans to run it as neither of my games are anywhere near right now). I think the Order of the Crescent Moon is really interesting. I know you didn't write Champions of Valor so you might not be the right person to address this too, but do you know why the Order in there is based in Impiltur rather than Tethyr? Or is it a new Order, inspired by the Tethyrian branch?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  04:58:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh god, I never even saw that. Eric?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  08:38:46  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Eric, I've just read through Sleep of Ages, which I think looks a great adventure (no current plans to run it as neither of my games are anywhere near right now). I think the Order of the Crescent Moon is really interesting. I know you didn't write Champions of Valor so you might not be the right person to address this too, but do you know why the Order in there is based in Impiltur rather than Tethyr? Or is it a new Order, inspired by the Tethyrian branch?

Looks like I wasn't the only one to wonder about this... Maybe a check of the timelines involved in both articles could provide a possible solution on which order was established first. I don't have the sources at hand at the moment, but I would not be surprised if the Tethyrian order is the older. The Impiltuaran could have been based on the Tethyrian one - after all, Selune and Clangeddin could have easily divinly inspired some of their faithful into establishing a similar order without the two being affiliated. Basically copying the 'tool' while the original was held in 'safekeeping' until needed.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  00:19:47  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Tethyrian order was founded many centuries ago, while CoV p.103 simply states the 'order is over one hundred years old, but is relatively unknown outside Impiltur.' This to me implies that it is a more recent foundation, but given that the Tethyrian order has only recently been reawakened (as of 1369-70 when the adventure is set), it is highly unlikely the Impilturan order would have been based on it because the original order was essentially unknown outside of obscure histort books, according to Sleep of Ages.
The most feasible solution I can think of is the one that Mumadar has suggested. Without divine intervention, I find it unlikely that such an order would have come into existence, especially as the original order is unknown so not around to be an example to be followed.
I'm thinking it might have been a mistake in CoV, but if possible I prefer to come up with in game solutions to possible canonical errors.
Incidentally, I only noticed because I was sure I'd heard of the Order somewhere before once I started reading the adventure, so checked through some sources and found it in CoV.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  16:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric, this will be the last time I bother you about this subject (I promise!)...can you say when the actual physical Sundering of Aber-Toril occured?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  17:39:00  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kalin Agrivar

Hi Eric, this will be the last time I bother you about this subject (I promise!)...can you say when the actual physical Sundering of Aber-Toril occured?

One theory is a the Dawn of Time. Another theory is -17,600 DR. A third theory is -24,000 DR. They are all only theories at this point, each supported to varying degrees by the evidence, depending on which Realmslore you choose to interpret most strongly. My personal preference is the Dawn of Time.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  17:40:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Actually, I did write part of Champions of Valor (16 pages), but not this part. I did catch this "opportunity" but not in time to make resolving it simpler. Some of the other ideas on this thread seem interesting, but I don't have time to pick one now. I imagine the two groups are loosely coupled in some fashion as yet undetermined.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2006 :  18:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Eric!

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  01:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric, I'd certainly be interested in hearing how you'd resolve it when you get round to it.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  03:43:34  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

A question about Halaster's Heirs. IIRC, it's not your original idea*, but you gave to it a lot of place in CoS. This place is supposed to be on the first level of Undermoutain, but do you picture it in some of the known rooms of the first level or as a kind of "secret" sub-level ?

Thanks,

* If I'm correct, do you know/remember who created this academy?

Edited by - Skeptic on 31 Oct 2006 03:44:08
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  10:34:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Hi Eric,

A question about Halaster's Heirs. IIRC, it's not your original idea*, but you gave to it a lot of place in CoS. This place is supposed to be on the first level of Undermoutain, but do you picture it in some of the known rooms of the first level or as a kind of "secret" sub-level ?

Thanks,

* If I'm correct, do you know/remember who created this academy?

No, the academy is my creation.

I figured it's a mix of existing rooms and possibly some secret ones.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  18:50:08  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

No, the academy is my creation.

I figured it's a mix of existing rooms and possibly some secret ones.

Oh, so I'll ask a few more questions about it, first one :

Given that most south rooms are described on Wizard's web site and that the north rooms are controled by the Loviatar forces (if that is not changed), could I say that the Academy has control over the rooms east of the Well and north of the "Dragon's legacy" rooms ?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  21:06:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds reasonable.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Paj
Seeker

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  09:30:34  Show Profile  Visit Paj's Homepage Send Paj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met.

Can you shed any light on The 'Meeting of the Three'?

Its a day when Jergal, Garagos and Sharess meet somewhere and it was first mentioned in Powers and Pantheons under Jergals entry.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  17:54:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question Eric, for my 3/3.5e NPC list. I would have made a guess on this NPC but I didn't want to be wrong.

Araeralee Summerstar, 9th Wizard, Half-moon Elf, LG, An orphan raised in Blackstaff Tower, City of Splendors: Waterdeep

What is her/his gender? He/she is on page 24 in the Blackstaff Academy write up.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  18:20:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Female.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  18:21:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paj

Well met.

Its a day when Jergal, Garagos and Sharess meet somewhere and it was first mentioned in Powers and Pantheons under Jergals entry.

The extended version of this event first appeared in one of the old Border Kingdoms articles in Polyhedron. Some with access to sources might be able to provide the issue #.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  18:47:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Female.

--Eric

Thanks, that's what I figured but was double checking. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  18:51:17  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Mr. Boyd, I'm doing some research for the Elven Yuir Deities for a little something on Elves that I am making. I was wondering if you could provide what their "symbols" are. Demihuman Deities mentions a few times that the Elven Yuir Deities had their symbols on stones in the Sunglade, and that the symbols have faded over time. But, what the symbols were was never mentioned. Can you help me out on this one?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 06 Nov 2006 18:52:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  20:56:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Paj

Well met.

The extended version of this event first appeared in one of the old Border Kingdoms articles in Polyhedron. Some with access to sources might be able to provide the issue #.

--Eric

It's also discussed in Ed's Border Kingdoms feature on the Wizards website, specifically in the entry for the Barony of Great Oak.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  23:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Eric.

I was wondering if you had any more information on Chlanna Asjiros, the Ex Grand Rapturemother of Lliira. As far as I can tell, she only appeared in Faiths and Avatars, and her death was mentioned in Faiths and Pantheons (leading to the creation of the Scarlet Mummers, which you mentioned were created by Erik Mona)

Also, with the return of Waukeen and Chlanna's death, what state is the Lliira church in?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Go to Top of Page

Amnezjusz
Acolyte

Poland
39 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  21:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Amnezjusz's Homepage Send Amnezjusz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hello Eric :)
I have two question about Coiled Cabal.
1. I was wondering if you had more information about Coiled Cabal leaders, "The Hooded Ones" (um, or at least about one of them :P).
2. Do you know how advanced are works to take over (currently to manipulate) Cult of the Dragon and Red Wizard, the most important organizations which Cabal want to rule in the future.

Sorry for My english.
I will be grateful for your help :)

THERE'S NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST ME. - Death

http://www.polarzepy.fora.pl - My website.
http://www.dnd.polter.pl - Official Polish D&D site.

Edited by - Amnezjusz on 10 Nov 2006 14:04:35
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  01:19:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric:

I just got my Dragon Magazine for this month, and I really liked the planetourched races in it. You did an excellent job, and I'm glad they finally got around to publishing this (now it fhey would pick up on that article about the Unseen . . . ). I am really looking forward to offering these to my players as PC races, which brings me to my question.

The planetouched races in the FRCS are presented as LA 0 races in the Player's Guide to Faerun by taking away their Outsider (native) type and just making them humanoids. Do you think that this approach would work with these races as well, i.e., do you think taking that away would make them "balanced" with other LA 0 PC options? I'm mainly concered with the dwarven, elven, and halfling plantouched, not quite as worried about presenting the Warghest as a PC option.

Thanks for your time, and for the article!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  13:14:25  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KEJR, one little thing that have worked in my campaigns concerning planetoucheds and LA, is the rule to "buy" in xp the LA, presented in the Unhearted Arcana. My players that tend to play with LA 1 races have liked that option, and until now, it have worked very well.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Amnezjusz
Acolyte

Poland
39 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  22:25:18  Show Profile  Visit Amnezjusz's Homepage Send Amnezjusz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric.

I have another questions related with Coiled Cabal:
a)some say that Coiled Cabal want to shatter power of the Ssteh's clergy. But, did they know that Sseth was replaced by Set? And why Cabal want to Shatter power of this clergy?
b)when exactly Cabal was created and who was the first leader of the organization?

I will be very, very grateful for your help :)

THERE'S NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST ME. - Death

http://www.polarzepy.fora.pl - My website.
http://www.dnd.polter.pl - Official Polish D&D site.

Edited by - Amnezjusz on 17 Nov 2006 22:28:05
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  17:03:29  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui!

Reading a few bits and pieces on Menzoberranzan in Drizzt's do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark I noted the rumour about "survivors" of House Oblodra in the Claw Rift, referred to as "witchlin". Has these ever been mentioned in another sourcebook or Monstrous Manual?

Thanks, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  17:07:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Vendui!

Reading a few bits and pieces on Menzoberranzan in Drizzt's do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark I noted the rumour about "survivors" of House Oblodra in the Claw Rift, referred to as "witchlin". Has these ever been mentioned in another sourcebook or Monstrous Manual?

Thanks, Zanan!

I'm not Eric, but the witchlin was a creature detailed in the DragonLance Monstrous Compendium, which was basically (if I recall), a pair of skeletal hands and floating eyeballs. They were specifically an elven form of undead, again, if my memory holds.

Just thought of this, and I looked it up. The Witchlin has 3.5 statistics given in the Bestiary of Krynn DragonLance sourcebook.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 26 Nov 2006 17:11:53
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  22:02:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

Vendui!

Thanks, Zanan!

I'm not Eric, but the witchlin was a creature detailed in the DragonLance Monstrous Compendium, which was basically (if I recall), a pair of skeletal hands and floating eyeballs. They were specifically an elven form of undead, again, if my memory holds.

Just thought of this, and I looked it up. The Witchlin has 3.5 statistics given in the Bestiary of Krynn DragonLance sourcebook.

It was officially a Dragonlance beastie, but I know Ed included them a couple of times in official Realmslore. The other instance that comes to mind was Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, IIRC.

--Eric

Mod Edit: Fixed the quotes

--

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Nov 2006 00:05:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  00:58:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

Vendui!

Thanks, Zanan!

It was officially a Dragonlance beastie, but I know Ed included them a couple of times in official Realmslore. The other instance that comes to mind was Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, IIRC.

--Eric

Mod Edit: Fixed the quotes

Pages 45 and 46 of that book. Elminster noted that it's a Krynnish beastie, but he thinks that's what's killing folks in the Prowl.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000