Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  22:31:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Hello, Eric.

I need of a little information for a character that Iīm creating.

How much will cost a house (simple, but elegant), for a lone gold elf in the Adventurerīs Quarter, in Waterdeep? How it would be, using elvish architeture?

Thanks in advance

Chosen of Moradin

:)

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ss-buildings.htm

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  13:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!!

Thanks for the link, Kuje!!! :)

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  16:23:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow!!

Thanks for the link, Kuje!!! :)

No prob.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  18:50:58  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Eric,

I was wondering, since the Savage Tide outline/preview has now been revealed, if you'd be ready to let us know how your conversion notes will look like?

Which places will be used for Sasserine and other locations of the AP?

In advance, thanks a lot for your reply.

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  19:01:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bocklin

Dear Eric,

I was wondering, since the Savage Tide outline/preview has now been revealed, if you'd be ready to let us know how your conversion notes will look like?

Which places will be used for Sasserine and other locations of the AP?

In advance, thanks a lot for your reply.

Bocklin

Good question, but my turnover isn't due yet. ;-)

I'm leaning towards Sasserine == Tashluta. Most of the middle third of the AP will go "off map". The last third is in the Abyss and should not require much in the way of conversion. I can guarantee that there will be 0 conversion notes needed for STAP #10. ;-) Plus #10 will include a Realms easter egg, assuming I can sneak it past the editors.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  19:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ancient Dragon Kingdoms

I loved this section from the preview online. Can't wait for the book to come out.

In the Dragon History section of DoF, I see mention of three ancient dragon kingdoms: Caesinmalsvir, Darastriverthicha, and Tharkrixghontix.

So from what I can glean, Caesinmalsvir means "Evil Forrest", Darastriverthicha means "Dragon Mountain" (a nod to the old box-set module "Dragon Mountain" perhaps?) and Tharkrixghontix means something to do with ogers (Ogre Spires maybe? I couldn't translate Tharkrix...)

Can you share any thoughts about where these kingdoms may have been located back in the day?
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  08:13:04  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Ancient Dragon Kingdoms

I loved this section from the preview online. Can't wait for the book to come out.

In the Dragon History section of DoF, I see mention of three ancient dragon kingdoms: Caesinmalsvir, Darastriverthicha, and Tharkrixghontix.

So from what I can glean, Caesinmalsvir means "Evil Forrest", Darastriverthicha means "Dragon Mountain" (a nod to the old box-set module "Dragon Mountain" perhaps?) and Tharkrixghontix means something to do with ogers (Ogre Spires maybe? I couldn't translate Tharkrix...)

Can you share any thoughts about where these kingdoms may have been located back in the day?

I'll let Eric answer your question about that (as this is his forum), but I would like to say that I think you'll find nice bits here and there of Draconic language in the book. So everyone get out your handy Draconic dictionary (I guess the Draconomicon will have to do).

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  12:46:06  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Ancient Dragon Kingdoms

Very good translation job. You got the first 2 right. The third one is harder, playing off the ogre word Tharkul and the draconic word Maekrix to mean “King of the Ogres.”

I don't want to pin down where they were located quite yet. As Ed always says, when you answer some mysteries you should create some new ones.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  17:11:33  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good question, but my turnover isn't due yet. ;-)

I'm leaning towards Sasserine == Tashluta. Most of the middle third of the AP will go "off map". The last third is in the Abyss and should not require much in the way of conversion. I can guarantee that there will be 0 conversion notes needed for STAP #10. ;-) Plus #10 will include a Realms easter egg, assuming I can sneak it past the editors.

--Eric

Thanks for the answer, Eric. I re-read the bit on Tashluta in Serpent Kingdoms and this sounds quite exciting. It could be a lot of fun trying to weave in FR elements in the AP (I am thinking of the church of Talona and Savras).

But it seems that I might end up playing STAP as a player, so I'll have to stick away from Dungeon and your conversion notes in the future... :-(

Thanks again for the answer. I look forward to playing through instalment #10!

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  00:02:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bocklin

Thanks for the answer, Eric. I re-read the bit on Tashluta in Serpent Kingdoms and this sounds quite exciting. It could be a lot of fun trying to weave in FR elements in the AP (I am thinking of the church of Talona and Savras).

You might want to reread Major Centers of worship for Talona and Savras in F&A and P&P, respectively.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui!

Reading through that drow Dragon 298 again, I noted the name Zinzerena and remembered that she was mentioned in Demihuman Deities under Lolth. While originally a Greyhawkian deity, she has thus made a short appearance in the FR and I wonder whether her inclusion back then was a way forward for those drow who wanted to escape the clutches of the more stereo-typical drow societies? Obviously, a CN but still somewhat "darkish" deity would suit drow outcasts and renegades better than most human ones, good ones such as Eilistraee, or a straight 180° turn to the female-hating Vhaeraun.
Any chance that we see a return of hers (even though it is Lolth in disguise), as the Silence (which would have counted for Zinzerena priests too) might have increased her ... let's say follower base somewhat? Would surely be quite interesting, especially for the less-religious driven drow places.

All the best, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  11:27:20  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zanan,

Related to your question is a thread I started last year:
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4919

I would also be interested if Zinzerena herself returns to the Realms or what Lolth's plans were for that particular aspect of herself.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 07 Aug 2006 11:30:25
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  13:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While reading Georges dragon article something struck me as being odd

How has King Imbrar managed to get enough XP to reach 8th level when he hasnt even reached his 16th birthday?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  16:56:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

How has King Imbrar managed to get enough XP to reach 8th level when he hasnt even reached his 16th birthday?

Neglectful nannies?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  20:57:59  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Neglectful nannies?

Worse: he is secretely an half-orc.

Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  01:37:17  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, maybe that is why he hasn't ended up being killed like the others before him. After reading the article, I was suspicious that the Queen Regent was arranging deaths of young kings to maintain her status...

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  08:35:38  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DargothHow has King Imbrar managed to get enough XP to reach 8th level when he hasnt even reached his 16th birthday?

And there I was thinking that not getting a bicycle until my 13th birthday was a tough childhood.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  14:32:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Relentless training in hopes of keeping him alive until his 16th birthday. He probably received a shortsword for his 3rd birthday and a longsword for his 5th birthday.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  14:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about 'he's a precocious hero'?
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  15:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, in the 2nd edition Waterdeep box, there is an aprentice of Khelben that is a little boy (I donīt remember exactly the age), with some spells developed by him...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  16:11:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

IIRC, in the 2nd edition Waterdeep box, there is an aprentice of Khelben that is a little boy (I donīt remember exactly the age), with some spells developed by him...

Gemidan. He was 6 or 8, at the time.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  16:17:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's 8 at the time of 2e CoS.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  16:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Gemidan. He was 6 or 8, at the time.

Yeap. And Wizard 5. With 2 or 3 variations of Magic Missile developed, if my memory still serve me.

Maybe he and King Imbrar adventures together...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  16:36:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeap. And Wizard 5.
Wizard Level 3 actually -- as of 2e CoS.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  16:40:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Sage. I knew that something was wrong, but I donīt was remembering what...

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  21:54:06  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

Here's a good one for you, as your answer might sway me (and perhaps many others) in giving a shot to 'Red Hand of Doom'... Here it goes:

=====================================================

Today, 12:41 PM
Richard Baker
Member Join Date: Jun 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy, that's a tough one. Red Hand of Doom wasn't a FR sourcebook, despite the fact that it closely parallels the Channath Vale... I'm not sure whether we should have included it or not. In any event, I didn't work on Dragons of Faerun, so I didn't have to make the call on that. Maybe Eric can shed some more light on the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocklin
Dear Eytan, Dear Eric, Dear Rich,

I have received "Dragons Faerûn" just yesterday and am so far immensely enjoying the book. That's really first quality FR material!

I tried to look for any passing reference to a "Tiamat-worshipping horde of hobgoblins in the Channath vale", but have not seen anything along those lines so far. If I have not missed it, then I wanted to ask the following.

I know that RHoD is core, but was wondering if you'd plan to nevertheless refer to the events therein in any direct or indirect way in a future FR product. After all, it's a FR region that is "hosting" the plot!

In advance, thanks for your answer.

Bocklin
=============================================
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  01:42:25  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Hi Eric,

Here's a good one for you, as your answer might sway me (and perhaps many others) in giving a shot to 'Red Hand of Doom'... Here it goes:

Answered on WoTC thread.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  01:50:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Hi Eric,

Answered on WoTC thread.

--Eric

Since some of us are not active over there, could someone provide either a link or a quote from the appropriate WotC thread?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Aug 2006 01:51:14
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  10:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No info on Zinzerena available just yet?

(Posting of 07 Aug 2006 : 10:48:46 on page 19)
Go to Top of Page

Lawless
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  14:25:52  Show Profile  Visit Lawless's Homepage Send Lawless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there anything in the works to explore and/or go into detail of Chondalwood?

Waiting to say something brilliant.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000