Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  16:01:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

We are having a minor debate in this thread:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6341

About the portfolio of time. Mystryl had it according to the Netheril box set and so some people feel that the original Mystra should of had it, but all of the material about her never shows that she had it, and so the disagreement is that some of us say that it's unclaimed.

So, did the original Mystra have the portfolio of time or is it truely unclaimed? And if she did, does Midnight/Mystra have it, since she is also a reincarnation of the original Mystra.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Mar 2006 16:03:49
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  17:20:38  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Eric in Powers and Pantheon it says Gargauth has a temple in Waterdeep any idea where it is? Is it in the Gralhund noble family estate?

It's possible it's in the estate, but it's more likely hidden beneath an indirectly owned warehouse or in a crypt beneath the City of the Dead.

quote:
Also is there any links between the Gargauth worshiping Gralhund family and the knights of the Shield?

Probably, but the shared nature of their devotion may not be clear. The Knights have their clearest hooks into the Ruldegost family, IIRC, but that's more the "open and honest" wing of the Knights. Activities tied closer to the Shield Council have other areas of influence in Waterdeep.

Also, FWIW, see the mini-adventure set in the Ilzimmer (IIRC) redoubt.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  01:22:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks

Eric have you seen the map thats being added to your CoS WE?

Does it cover sites from Elaines novels such as Taskerleigh, Summit Hall, Thornhold etc?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  01:45:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks

Eric have you seen the map thats being added to your CoS WE?

Does it cover sites from Elaines novels such as Taskerleigh, Summit Hall, Thornhold etc?

I think the area is too small to hit any of those. Look at the map of regions in the FRCS and imagine a close-up map of the Waterdeep region.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  03:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at the map the Waterdeep area looks to take in the following

The Mere of Dead Men
Kryptgarden Forest
Sword Mountains (Which would include Thornhold)
Leilon
Kheldell
Amphail
Red Larch
Rassalantar
Ardeep forest
Sumber (Which is were Summit Hall is) and Forlorn Hills: The border runs through both of them
Roosting Griffin Inn
Hall of Whirling Blades
House of Stone
Crumbling stair
Elorfindars Estate
Ilefarn
Black Helm Tower

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2006 :  04:13:53  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Mere of Dead Men
Kryptgarden Forest

and the lair of Marune...
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  07:03:38  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to you (and Ed) for pretty much setting me up to run my now Epic Realms campaign for several more years, by writing Power of Faerûn.

It’s like you guys took a look over my shoulder and saw what was going on in my game over the last couple months and wrote a sourcebook specifically tailored to help me out!

You've got me covered on how to handle:

*) One character’s efforts to tame the Stonelands and by extension, survive the perils of the Royal Court of Cormyr (chapters 1, 2, 5, 6 and 9 will help nicely, here).
*) The other character's efforts to establish a base of operations/influence in Waterdeep, for which chapter 4 will be an excellent guide. Thanks here especially for the Waterdeep information!
*) The whole group’s efforts to keep their end of a bargain with Aumanator (their part of the deal being to quietly spread copies of His Holy Texts to all major centers of learning across Faerûn). I've already established a certain level of strife amongst Lathandrites in my game. Chapter three will only add to the fun!

It’s like I’ve got all I need in one book to handle everything they’re trying to do.

Well done Sir, truly well done!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 16 Mar 2006 07:10:52
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  19:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:Originally posted by George Krashos

The majority of those locations can be found in Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II. Canaith is the former bardic college mentioned in a few sources, notably the novel "Elfsong".

-- George Krashos

A few might be from the pre-edit version of Lands of Intrigue. I really liked some of the local flavor places that got cut, so I refuse to believe they are not really part of the (published) Realms. ;-)

--Eric

I don't suppose you'd be willing to share any o' those tidbits? Please! *Begs and pleads and whines and such* The more Tethyr the merrier, spill yer guts on that place, if you can!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  19:44:44  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Herr Doktor

quote:
quote:Originally posted by George Krashos

The majority of those locations can be found in Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II. Canaith is the former bardic college mentioned in a few sources, notably the novel "Elfsong".

-- George Krashos

A few might be from the pre-edit version of Lands of Intrigue. I really liked some of the local flavor places that got cut, so I refuse to believe they are not really part of the (published) Realms. ;-)

--Eric

I don't suppose you'd be willing to share any o' those tidbits? Please! *Begs and pleads and whines and such* The more Tethyr the merrier, spill yer guts on that place, if you can!

Head over to Steven's scroll for such pleadings!

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  10:08:42  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From a questioned originally asked of Eric that's better asked of Steven, to the precise opposite:

In City of Splendors: Waterdeep, The Shadow Thief Marune is said to report directly to the Shade of Baldur's Gate (Orniiv "The Eclipse" Fandarfall). How come he doesn't report to the Shade of the Sword Coast North (Nulara Haphet)?

Incidentally, this offers the intriguing suggestion that the Shadow Thieves are trying to establish themselves in other cities in the north. Luskan seems a likely candidate, but it'd be interesting to find out for sure :).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  11:14:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm not Eric, but I'd say that despite his 'lowly' Cloakmaster title, Marune is pretty much an independent, free agent in the Shadow Thieves. If you read his entry in "Cloak & Dagger" you realise that as one of the organisation's original founders, he's got significant clout and power behind him. I'd say that quite simply he doesn't think much of the new, 'upstart' Shade of the Sword Coast North, considers operations in Waterdeep to be outside her purview and control and reports to the Shade of Baldur's Gate (when he feels like it of course), because he's always done so - and no-one, not even Rhinnom, is likely to tell him different.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  11:21:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric was the Unicorn Blade ever detailed or expanded on?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  14:22:00  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric was the Unicorn Blade ever detailed or expanded on?

I've got it written up, but I don't think it's made it into print. I did just submit something that included a Unicorn Blade write-up, so it's possible you might see it eventually.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Waldham
Seeker

83 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  15:52:26  Show Profile  Visit Waldham's Homepage Send Waldham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Erudite_Bastich :
quote:
Draegloth were intended to have SR, at least when they were first introduced. There's always the chance that has changed since then, of course, but there's no clarification stating outright that it has as of yet.

The following is copied from MONSTERFAQ1302003.pdf (Sage Advice compilation file that includes Monsters of Faeraun), which should still be available to download. I spaced the info out for ease of reading, and bolded the parts most relevant to this topic.

What does the term "drow abilities" refer to in the
draegloth's (from Monsters of Faerûn) special qualities
entry? Does a draegloth get spell resistance?

It refers to the special qualities of drow, which are listed in
the drow entry in the FORGOTTEN REALMS Campaign Setting
book (and in the Monster Manual). These include the
following:

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day dancing lights, darkness, and
faerie fire. These abilities are as the spells cast by a sorcerer
of the drow's character level.

Darkvision up to 120 feet.

Spell resistance 11 + class level.

+2 racial bonus on Will saves against spells and spell-like
abilities.

Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light (such
as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds drow for 1 round. In
addition, they take a -1 circumstance penalty on all attack
rolls, saves, and checks while operating in bright light.

Proficient with longsword, rapier, longbow, composite
longbow, shortbow, and composite shortbow, regardless of
character class.

Immunity to magic sleep spells and effects.
+2 racial bonus on Will saves against Enchantment spells
or effects.

+2 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks. A
drow who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or
concealed door is entitled to a Search check as though
actively looking for it.

Note that a draegloth with class levels has Spell Resistance
11, despite its number of Hit Dice.

Why didn't the SR include in the Champions of Ruin (savage progression) - write-up of the race ?

Or perhaps the draegloth don't have the spell resistance ?

Thanks for your future help.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2006 :  18:08:41  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I didn't have anything to do with that side of the book.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

brownfox
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  21:28:01  Show Profile  Visit brownfox's Homepage Send brownfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all,
I seek information on the Tunnelrunner's Axe. For those Dwarves out there, Ardelve. This item was mentioned in Drizzt's Underdark guide.
Thanks for any info yall have time to offer!
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2006 :  18:27:47  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

In some FR Gods Past & Present research I came across Tom Coasta's "Prestige in the Realms" rather fluff-filled prestige class pdf on your website.

The details I'd been looking for, on the Untheric pantheon, under his Untheric Gods-Ensi PrC, were a fascinating read - the first time any of the history of the Untheric pantheon had been clearly detailed. A really great read, I loved the descriptions of Zigguraxus, but one problem...

After confirming the deaths of the gods constantly reiterated in Realms products to be just that - dead from the Orcsgate War - the text in the divine realm section goes on to treat Girru, Ki, Nanna-Sin, Marduk, Utu, and even Ramman, as alive on their plane (Enlil and Ishtar make sense), and for no apparant other reason say that Nergal and Inanna are "lost" (along with the truly lost Untheric gods).

I was wondering:
1) Any explanation for this?
2) Are they alive? Can they answer prayers?
3) If they're alive in some context (like Auppenser is "alive"?), why aren't they "dead" like Ra, who doesn't seem to reside in Heliopolis according the Player's Guide to Faerûn?
4)What's with the sarcofagi mentioned in Lost Empires of Faerûn, then? (I do realise this was written before that product).

Seeing as Tom Costa is not on the boards, and you provided assistance and webspace for the pdf, I was hoping you could help. :)

Thanks very much!

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)

Edited by - Sarelle on 05 Apr 2006 18:31:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2006 :  18:56:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

Seeing as Tom Costa is not on the boards, and you provided assistance and webspace for the pdf, I was hoping you could help. :)

Thanks very much!

Actually, he does pop up from time to time...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  00:48:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tom's away overseas for work at the moment but no doubt will respond to your query when he returns. Until then, maybe Eric can shed some light ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  22:54:30  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that their being alive is a carry over of the Great Wheel. When they were killed in Avatar form on Faerun, it was only that aspect of them that was destroyed. The 'rest of' those divine beings continued to exist in other parts of the Multiverse, and on many worlds they were, and are still alive and well.

I guess in a sense its really more like they were banished from Toril than really killed.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  17:02:55  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Mr. Costa could provide assistance as well that would be excellent, but until his return, I direct the question at Mr. Boyd.

quote:
Originally posted by Octa

I think that their being alive is a carry over of the Great Wheel. When they were killed in Avatar form on Faerun, it was only that aspect of them that was destroyed. The 'rest of' those divine beings continued to exist in other parts of the Multiverse, and on many worlds they were, and are still alive and well.

I guess in a sense its really more like they were banished from Toril than really killed.

So did I, but the mentions in that pdf (written post-Player's Guide to Faerûn), are of the gods existing currently, alive in some form, in a 3.5 cosmology plane - Zigguraxus.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  10:06:30  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Mere of Dead Men
Kryptgarden Forest
Leilon
Kheldell
Amphail
Red Larch
Rassalantar
Ardeep forest
Sumber (Which is were Summit Hall is) and Forlorn Hills: The border runs through both of them
Roosting Griffin Inn
Hall of Whirling Blades
House of Stone
Crumbling stair
Elorfindars Estate
Ilefarn
Black Helm Tower

I think it covers everything except Kryptgarden Forest, Sumber, and Summit Hall. I don't think I listed the Roosting Griffin Inn, but I can't recall for sure. (It's probably nothing more than a broken wall and a few rocks by now.) As noted by Skeptic, it also includes the lair of Marune, as well as a few you guys have missed.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  10:07:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, I'm not Eric, but I'd say that despite his 'lowly' Cloakmaster title, Marune is pretty much an independent, free agent in the Shadow Thieves. If you read his entry in "Cloak & Dagger" you realise that as one of the organisation's original founders, he's got significant clout and power behind him. I'd say that quite simply he doesn't think much of the new, 'upstart' Shade of the Sword Coast North, considers operations in Waterdeep to be outside her purview and control and reports to the Shade of Baldur's Gate (when he feels like it of course), because he's always done so - and no-one, not even Rhinnom, is likely to tell him different.

-- George Krashos

Yep. BTW, it was my supposition that Marune was off inventing spells during his 25 years "in exile". In my original concept, he had been working on an epic spell that essentially allowed shadow walkers (as the spell in the Player's Handbook) to "peer into the Material" within the area of effect. This didn't make the editorial cut, but might be fun to play with in a Shadow Thief-focused campaign.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 08 Apr 2006 10:10:01
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  10:11:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brownfox

Hello all,
I seek information on the Tunnelrunner's Axe. For those Dwarves out there, Ardelve. This item was mentioned in Drizzt's Underdark guide.

I'm blanking on where this one came from. I think there was a Dragon article on weapons of the Realms (not written by Ed) a long while back. Some of those weapons were reprinted in the Encyclopedia Magica [2e]. That's the best pointer I can remember. Sorry.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  10:34:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Hello all,

I'm blanking on where this one came from. I think there was a Dragon article on weapons of the Realms (not written by Ed) a long while back. Some of those weapons were reprinted in the Encyclopedia Magica [2e]. That's the best pointer I can remember. Sorry.

--Eric

Oooh, I can help on this one, digging out my now ancient DDGttU production notes. Tunnelrunner's Axe was first noted in Polyhedron#90, p.12. To brag a bit, it was I who suggested to Eric to give the various weapons dwarven names which is why it got called Ardelve.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  15:14:16  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
the lair of Marune, as well

I just hope we won't wait forever for it!

quote:
an epic spell that essentially allowed shadow walkers (as the spell in the Player's Handbook) to "peer into the Material" within the area of effect

Could it be possible that you give here an unofficial write-up of this spell ?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2006 :  02:02:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric likes to save stuff that doesn't make the editorial cut "up his sleeve" for future FR projects. So I have a feeling you won't be seeing Marune's epic spell or his 3E update of Andrathath's Mask. Well, not in the WE at least.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

brownfox
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2006 :  03:36:21  Show Profile  Visit brownfox's Homepage Send brownfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Mr. Krashos!

Well, Mr. Boyd alluded to a possible inclusion of Ardelve in the Encyclopedia Magica & Krash sited Polyhedron #90. I've Encyclopedia Magica Vol. 4 and I don't see Ardelve. I do not have Polyhedron #90 and Paizo does not have that issue for sale.

Can any direct me to which of the Encyclopedia Magica volumes that Ardelve is in, if it is?
Or, can anyone offer a suggestion as how to get the information contained w/in Polyhedron #90 (pertaining to Ardelve) since its not for sale?

Thanks for the info!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2006 :  03:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the reply Mr. Krashos!

Well, Mr. Boyd alluded to a possible inclusion of Ardelve in the Encyclopedia Magica & Krash sited Polyhedron #90. I've Encyclopedia Magica Vol. 4 and I don't see Ardelve. I do not have Polyhedron #90 and Paizo does not have that issue for sale.

Can any direct me to which of the Encyclopedia Magica volumes that Ardelve is in, if it is?
Or, can anyone offer a suggestion as how to get the information contained w/in Polyhedron #90 (pertaining to Ardelve) since its not for sale?

Thanks for the info!

Encyclopedia Magic Volume 1---they were organized alphabetically, IIRC.
Go to Top of Page

Waldham
Seeker

83 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2006 :  09:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Waldham's Homepage Send Waldham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, Mister Eric L Boyd
I have a question about three scrolls in the Hall of Mists that Mintiper saw at this place.
Are the three scrolls still in the Hall of Mists or nor ?

Thanks for your future help.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000