Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2014 :  21:05:32  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Steven, thank you for answering. I can certainly see the inspirations you mention, and agree with your ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  16:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who might have an interest in stopping by and saying howdy, I'll be working at the Gaming Paper booth at Gen Con next week Thursday and Friday from 10am to 2pm each day. Beyond that, my time is my own, so I'll plan to hit a few seminars and officially attend the Lords of Waterdeep get-together (because the Realms does NOT have hoot-a-nannies) on Saturday evening as my final event. Sunday I have to leave early so don't expect to be on site at all that day. Hope to meet a lot of Candlekeepers (or are we Candlekept?) down in Indy!

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  16:50:38  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

Looks like an interesting product, I'll have to swing by and check it out! See you (again) at the Candlekeep seminar as well.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  10:25:49  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

my players will soon tour the cities of the northern shores of the Lake of Steam and i have some questions ("current campaign time" is early spring of 1375 DR):
- Am i wrong in picturing Innarlith as a dark place, with Cyricists and their lackeys kidnapping people (particularly spellcasters), closing down temples of goodly deities and chasing out of town their priests, with informers and both secret and not-so-secret police enforcing the rule of Pristoleph?
- Dalelost ... anything on this more than "ruined city occupied by priests of Bane"? Do the ruins extend to the road between Yhep and Ankhapur (meaning: do travelers have to pass through the ruins or take a detour)? Are these priests of Bane under the Twisted Rune, under Teldorn Darkhope, indipendent or a combination of the three? Do they work against the Cyricists of Innarlith or do they keep to themselves on some dark and obscure project? If the latter, can you enlighten us, please?
- Has King Janol I "Pinch" Famisso taken a stance against the problems of the region? Is he planning or engaging in support to Saelmur or covert/overt military actions against the Banites of Mintar or the Cyricists of Innarlith?
- What are the diplomatic relations of the various indipendent Lake of Steam cities and Sespech?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  10:57:45  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heya,

I just created this scroll(http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19667) trying to find more information on Clan Auzkovyn.

In my searches I stumbled upon the passage mentioning vhaeraun-worshipping drow living in the High Forest p.51 in 'The North' Boxed Set.
I was wondering, since you co-wrote the book, if you had written that particular bit and what your thoughts were on the possible relations between Misstyre's band and clan Auzkovyn (before the latter left for Cormanthor). Furthermore If you know who originally came up with the idea for the clan and would be willing to tell me, so that I could pick her/his brain, I'd be grateful! :D

Thank you in advance and thanks for your great contribution to the Realms.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  15:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

Heya,

I just created this scroll(http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19667) trying to find more information on Clan Auzkovyn.

In my searches I stumbled upon the passage mentioning vhaeraun-worshipping drow living in the High Forest p.51 in 'The North' Boxed Set.
I was wondering, since you co-wrote the book, if you had written that particular bit and what your thoughts were on the possible relations between Misstyre's band and clan Auzkovyn (before the latter left for Cormanthor). Furthermore If you know who originally came up with the idea for the clan and would be willing to tell me, so that I could pick her/his brain, I'd be grateful! :D

Thank you in advance and thanks for your great contribution to the Realms.

I saw over on Eric Boyd's board that you've got your answers on Clan Auzkovyn, which is a relief. My only response was to say "Not my tower. Not my minions."

Sorry for the flippant response, but they're not anything to which i've any memory or specifics to help.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  18:29:44  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Steven,

my players will soon tour the cities of the northern shores of the Lake of Steam and i have some questions ("current campaign time" is early spring of 1375 DR):
- Am i wrong in picturing Innarlith as a dark place, with Cyricists and their lackeys kidnapping people (particularly spellcasters), closing down temples of goodly deities and chasing out of town their priests, with informers and both secret and not-so-secret police enforcing the rule of Pristoleph?

Innarlith's quite dark as you've noted, but there are also some small pockets of safety within it--mainly among the moneyed and nobles (from other places) whose personal chapels and temples within their estates could not be eradicated without serious upset of social order.

quote:
- Dalelost ... anything on this more than "ruined city occupied by priests of Bane"? Do the ruins extend to the road between Yhep and Ankhapur (meaning: do travelers have to pass through the ruins or take a detour)? Are these priests of Bane under the Twisted Rune, under Teldorn Darkhope, indipendent or a combination of the three? Do they work against the Cyricists of Innarlith or do they keep to themselves on some dark and obscure project? If the latter, can you enlighten us, please?

I doubt folk have to travel through the ruins, as those priests would use some ruined areas to rebuild slapdash sentry points, barracks, or crude gates to protect their occupation. I don't have any notes re: who the Banites truly serve, but it's an opportunity for you to play out a lot of internal conflict within the Church of Bane at that time. As for who's in control and why, that's up to you--but I'd personally prefer this to be a fallback position for Teldorn to flee to if he gets uprooted from his power base.

quote:
- Has King Janol I "Pinch" Famisso taken a stance against the problems of the region? Is he planning or engaging in support to Saelmur or covert/overt military actions against the Banites of Mintar or the Cyricists of Innarlith?

Personally, probably, but politically,, he's more apt to straddle the fence until he knows with absolute certainty he can keep his power and not be overthrown by interests local or farther afield. Thus, he's probably backing covert actions vs. both while remaining publicly neutral.

quote:
- What are the diplomatic relations of the various indipendent Lake of Steam cities and Sespech?

As peaceful and organized as any relations among people on the Internet--polite when that's the standard held by the venue in which they're communicating, but as sharp, rude, or blunt as anyone if there's no reason to be otherwise civilized.

Diplomacy is only handled as a subset of trade and keeping money flowing, OR as a communication tool to ensure that Calimshan doesn't horn in on their independence. It's really more of a city-state-independent setup with coordination only happening when it has to. At least that's how I see it/remember it.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2014 :  11:41:01  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

I saw over on Eric Boyd's board that you've got your answers on Clan Auzkovyn, which is a relief. My only response was to say "Not my tower. Not my minions."

Sorry for the flippant response, but they're not anything to which i've any memory or specifics to help.

Steven

No worries at all. Thanks anyway. I'll keep digging but in another direction, then ^_^

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  02:35:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Friend Steven, I am curious about a family you described in the City of Splendors boxed set...

Lord Bronson Phaulkon is described as being a minor Cormyrean noble who relocated to Waterdeep. What I'm curious about is how much of the Phaulkon family remained in Cormyr, and the connection between the ones who stayed and the expats who went to Waterdeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2014 :  03:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Friend Steven, I am curious about a family you described in the City of Splendors boxed set...

Lord Bronson Phaulkon is described as being a minor Cormyrean noble who relocated to Waterdeep. What I'm curious about is how much of the Phaulkon family remained in Cormyr, and the connection between the ones who stayed and the expats who went to Waterdeep.

Sadly, I can't locate my notes on the Phaulkons and the only other tidbit that leaps to mind was his cousin (or sister? Can't remember right now...) Jeryth became a Chosen of Mielikki and was relatively nearby (or at least closer than Cormyr).

Off the top of my head, I'd say he was part of a family akin to early 20th century British nobles--long storied title and family name, but alas, no cash....which is what brought him to Waterdeep to seek his fortunes. How many are left behind is up to you (or Ed or Garen Thal), as I can't recall much else.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2015 :  21:46:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven,

I am almost finished reading Blackstaff (which is by the way the first realms novel I have ever read). Loving all of it so far, Khelben really comes alive in it as a human being, rather than the distant super hero he is often portrayed in the sourcebooks.

I can't wait for the death scene and at the same time I almost don't want to read about the death of one of my favourite characters (although I probably will have him return in my campaigns since that modified kiira is bonded to Tsarra and either wittingly or not his memories and personality could overwrite hers).

I'm wondering about a few things. First is this passage
quote:
"Did I ever tell you how long it took us to drop that smoldering traitor after he killed you? Honestly, the man was more stubborn as a corpse than he was in life!"

It refers to Lord Elsmyth who stabbed Khelben in the eye. The "more stubborn as a corpse than he was in life "makes it sound like he persisted into undeath after his demise. I wonder how long did Laeral take to kill him, was it an immediate response to Malek's death, did Elsmyth flee and Laeral spent the next two decades tracking him down, did he then rise again after he was killed?

Also what happened to the other traitors involved in the assassination attempt on Laeral. Tryshalm Varret and his accomplices were pinned to the walls by magic in Malek's tower so one presumes the magic wore off after a time and they fled. The other lords may have escaped during the confusion and one assumes there were other noble houses involved.

There is mention of the Xornmoors and Easting Reaches as areas within Stornanter, it sounds like these are internal regions more inland than on the coast, so could it be the eastern edges of the realm were those involved in the uprising.

What happened to all these traitors? Did they flee elsewhere? Were they saved by the departure of Laeral and Stornanter's demise. I'm kind of hoping they flee to the Moonshae Isles as I'm looking to link them to the armada of 852 DR and could use a few noble names.

One other question was about the Blackstaff itself. I remember reading that Khelben said he hadn't used the staff since he truly entered mystra's service. Well I took that to mean the day he died and became a Chosen, which makes the Blackstaff actually the Duskstaff of Sarael from the beginning of the book which sounds like a staff of the magi (or whichever one explodes when you break it) but warped somewhat by the sacrifice of Khelben and his dad perhaps. Is that true?

Anyway, excellent book I can't wait to finish it and then reread it and try to match up all the past lives of khelben with realms history (especially the tomb in Impiltur).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Magor
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  07:07:38  Show Profile Send Magor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, from a collector's perspective I'm curious about the 2e Calimshan sourcebook you wrote. I do have two questions: Is there a reason why the block of the booklet is removable from the cover or was this just by accident? Didn't the original planning of the product include a map - why was it left out?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  17:14:07  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven,

Curious: you've stopped posting on your blog. Any chance you'll be posting more soon?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  01:27:51  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Hi Steven,

Curious: you've stopped posting on your blog. Any chance you'll be posting more soon?

All the chaos of kid-wrangling has kept me from doing much with that, but I might be revving the site(s) up again this summer if all goes well...and I actually have something about which to talk.

Thanks for inquiring; wondering if THIS time I'll be able to maintain a more regular pace like I managed briefly back in 2009 for a while....

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  01:39:26  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Hi Steven,

I am almost finished reading Blackstaff (which is by the way the first realms novel I have ever read). Loving all of it so far, Khelben really comes alive in it as a human being, rather than the distant super hero he is often portrayed in the sourcebooks.

I can't wait for the death scene and at the same time I almost don't want to read about the death of one of my favourite characters (although I probably will have him return in my campaigns since that modified kiira is bonded to Tsarra and either wittingly or not his memories and personality could overwrite hers).

Hope the ending satisfied you, dazzlerdal. And remember, no one outside of the Rhymanthiin ritual knows that the Khelben that returned to Waterdeep after all that was not really him...nor did anyone discover this for more than 20 years.

quote:
I'm wondering about a few things. First is this passage
quote:
"Did I ever tell you how long it took us to drop that smoldering traitor after he killed you? Honestly, the man was more stubborn as a corpse than he was in life!"

It refers to Lord Elsmyth who stabbed Khelben in the eye. The "more stubborn as a corpse than he was in life "makes it sound like he persisted into undeath after his demise. I wonder how long did Laeral take to kill him, was it an immediate response to Malek's death, did Elsmyth flee and Laeral spent the next two decades tracking him down, did he then rise again after he was killed?

It's probably better to leave it wide open for individual interpretations, but as you're asking specifically...he had items and previously-held-in-state enchantments that kept all parts of his body focused on their final activity until destruction or completion of action. Thus, imagine a smoking skeleton, crawling claws, etc. all trying to choke or otherwise harm Laeral. I do believe it took them the better part of three months to finally find every single finger bone, tooth, etc. and grind every bit of Lord Esmyth to dust after his death.

quote:
Also what happened to the other traitors involved in the assassination attempt on Laeral. Tryshalm Varret and his accomplices were pinned to the walls by magic in Malek's tower so one presumes the magic wore off after a time and they fled. The other lords may have escaped during the confusion and one assumes there were other noble houses involved.

There is mention of the Xornmoors and Easting Reaches as areas within Stornanter, it sounds like these are internal regions more inland than on the coast, so could it be the eastern edges of the realm were those involved in the uprising.

What happened to all these traitors? Did they flee elsewhere? Were they saved by the departure of Laeral and Stornanter's demise. I'm kind of hoping they flee to the Moonshae Isles as I'm looking to link them to the armada of 852 DR and could use a few noble names.

That last sounds like a marvelous bridge from one bit of unresolved lore to another, so go with it. I've got no other details on the traitors...and if Laeral so chose, she could exact any vengeance she needed later (though she probably wouldn't once her temper cooled a score or two of years later).

quote:
One other question was about the Blackstaff itself. I remember reading that Khelben said he hadn't used the staff since he truly entered Mystra's service. Well I took that to mean the day he died and became a Chosen, which makes the Blackstaff actually the Duskstaff of Sarael from the beginning of the book which sounds like a staff of the magi (or whichever one explodes when you break it) but warped somewhat by the sacrifice of Khelben and his dad perhaps. Is that true?

Anyway, excellent book I can't wait to finish it and then reread it and try to match up all the past lives of khelben with realms history (especially the tomb in Impiltur).

The True Blackstaff is a unique item, the primary form of which is the reconstituted former Duskstaff of Sarael fused with the Lupinaxe and a healthy dose of Mystra's divine touch/silver fire.

Of course, now you've got me wondering and thinking about how many minor blackstaves I put into (and took out of) play with two novels.....but I've no energy to chase down that lore tonight.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  01:42:12  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Magor

Steven, from a collector's perspective I'm curious about the 2e Calimshan sourcebook you wrote. I do have two questions: Is there a reason why the block of the booklet is removable from the cover or was this just by accident? Didn't the original planning of the product include a map - why was it left out?

I think the separate cover was just a production slip-up, nothing more. There wasn't a loose map in that--just the centerfold two-pager that I recall.

I would have loved a poster map for that, if only to do a zoom-in map for the smaller subsections like with the Adventurer's Quarter map from the CITY OF SPLENDORS boxed set, but alas, the budget wasn't there.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  08:51:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ending was more than satisfactory and was almost enough to make me consider keeping Khelben dead, but i like him too much as a character to remove him, plus having his memories overwrite tsarra's is the ultimate double blind (Khelben is masquerading as Tsarra who is masquerading as Khelben), i doubt even Laeral could figure it out. Khelben did say it was easier to "die" away from witnesses (and less painful) and so that had been his method of passing for many lives, but one wonders if it is not also less convincing for his enemies (many of whom are powerful magic users and may have pieced together his history), so his latest death had to seem final so that he could fool those enemies. Make it a secret death, but with witnesses (loyal witnesses that believe he is dead and would have to be tortured to reveal the information), and so no one really knows that his consciousness survived in the modified kiirra that would eventually overwrite Tsarras personality (Khelben probably feels real bad about the last part but Tsarra would be dead anyway without his intervention and he still has plans to see to fruition). At least thats how i'm going to play his demise.

I love the image of crawling pieces of Lord Elsmyth trying to kill Laeral by creeping into her dinner and killing her from the inside. He must really have wanted her dead to place such enchantments on himself. That kind of hatred is most unusual and indeed seems exactly the same kind of hatred that caused Priamon's final downfall.

The ending with Priamon falling into Halaster's hands was excellent, especially because the sourcebooks (and i presume other novels) seem to gloss over the fact that liches cannot be destroyed without also destroying their phylactery (too often a lich or dracolich has been labelled as "destroyed" as a result of a single battle, which would mean the idiotic creature would have to be wearing his/her phylactery at the time). I'm sure Halaster's plans for Priamon will be suitably torturous, maybe he could spend a few thousand years as the animating spirit of a golem, forced to do Halaster's every bidding and unable to escape or disobey.

I did note after posting before that the final description of The Blackstaff included an axe blade which was on "Oh" moment as i realised two powerful magic items must have fused to create a single artefact, i do wonder what it's curse is though?

Anyway, excellent novel, i enjoyed it from start to finish, even more so because it gave me lots of ideas for elaborating on Khelben and his plans.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  01:54:06  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The ending with Priamon falling into Halaster's hands was excellent, especially because the sourcebooks (and i presume other novels) seem to gloss over the fact that liches cannot be destroyed without also destroying their phylactery (too often a lich or dracolich has been labelled as "destroyed" as a result of a single battle, which would mean the idiotic creature would have to be wearing his/her phylactery at the time). I'm sure Halaster's plans for Priamon will be suitably torturous, maybe he could spend a few thousand years as the animating spirit of a golem, forced to do Halaster's every bidding and unable to escape or disobey.

Halaster's revenge in two words: toilet brush.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  08:32:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have a truly evil mind Steven, because if i recall correctly there is an entire level of Undermountain devoted to being the toilet of the dungeon complex.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  15:37:18  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You have a truly evil mind Steven, because if i recall correctly there is an entire level of Undermountain devoted to being the toilet of the dungeon complex.

Got it it one!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2015 :  17:02:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven

I've been dredging your recent gift and came across this ... bring back any memories?

Blade Bracers

These heavy gold and mithril or steel bracers magically adjust to wrap fully around the entire forearms of the wearer. Covered with runes and an idealized icon of a weapon, the blade bracers were among the most sought-after items of fighter-mages throughout Myth Drannor. With a single command word, weapons instantly manifest at hand!
The bracers were all exclusively forged by the Clan Lavargent and enchanted by Clan-Friends Wardaeh Pyrawad (N em W19) and Arlest Ruech (NG hem W16). Only 37 sets of blade bracers were ever made in the last 160 years of the city. Of those 37 pairs of bracers, 15 were commissioned by the Coronal's Court for senior armathors; 8 were specially created for various heirs of the noble Houses; and the remaining 14 pairs were created either for the clan or its friends.
There were four distinct styles of blade bracers, though all contained at least these basic enchantments: +2 to attack/damage rolls and AC +1. While constructed in pairs, only one attack per round could be made with these bracers unless the character gained multiple attacks by experience or training (i.e. rangers). A major benefit of these bracers was the person's ability to hide weapons in plain sight, and also these were far lighter and easier to carry than the primary weapons and (in some cases) far deadlier. The statistics below are accurate for damage and most other particulars, but speed factors all drop by 2.
• Axe Bracers: The original design of the clan, these bracers carried axes among their runes. When activated, the axe blades sprout of both sides of the bracers. The metal extends and envelopes the hands, turning the character's hands and arms into battleaxes. Only dwarves tended to use these, since most folks wanted their hands free and open in battle.
Weapon Statistics: As per battle axe.
• Bludgeon Bracers: Used only by various clergy of all races of Myth Drannor, bludgeon bracers sprouted either a warhammer head or a chained mace. Both deal the same damage, though handedness, training, or preferrence determines which one was made.
Weapon Statistics: As per horseman's mace.
• Dagger Bracers: Two types of dagger bracers were created, and both were highly favored by the gnomes and halflings of Myth Drannor. A blade either develops along the outside length of the bracers (for slashing attacks), or the top of the bracers crimps and extends to a point up over the knuckles (for piercing attacks) as a katar.
Weapon Statistics: As per dagger/dirk.
• Saber Bracers: With the active blades extending out of the topside or underside of the forearm guards to their normal lengths and curving just slightly up to points, saber bracers left hands totally free for spellcasting and thus became the favored (and most numerous at 19) of the blade bracers.
Weapon Statistics: As per scimitar.

Bear in mind that, due to the unfamiliar movements and attacks needed to use these items effectively, characters who gained these bracers needed an open weapon proficiency to learn how to fight with these blade bracers. For the most part, Myth Drannor's peace during their time of creation was steady, and their bearers had the time to learn their specific bracers, even though it takes twice the normal time of learning NWPs.
Of these 37 known pairs of bracers, nine pairs of saber bracers remained with their owners after the Fall, and all of these are either nobles or commoner elves. Eight folk among those various factions of elves fleeing Cormanthyr carried their bracers with them, as did five N`Tel`Quess bearers. The remainder, some of which were even more enhanced with other magics, lie among Myth Drannor's ruins; the most well-known and storied are the lightning-charged dagger bracers called the Arcbracers of Darim, the fiery sabers known as Muircil's Flame Fangs, or the bludgeon bracers of the ever-pious Durgoth "Battlebraver" Honedaxe called Dumathoin's Fists which became legendary relics of that dwarven church.

You always came up with the good stuff, Steven!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2015 :  02:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hi Steven

I've been dredging your recent gift and came across this ... bring back any memories?

Blade Bracers [snip]

I have absolutely no memory of those whatsoever.
Reads like me, but I truly do not remember those. I'll assume I wrote them for Fall of Myth Drannor and couldn't fit them in or something to that stripe.....

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2015 :  13:05:39  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again Master Schend.

Do you perhaps recall anything about Sulmeth, the birthplace of the Kolat twins? So far, I've been working on the assumption that it's a small village in Erlkazar - perhaps in Shalanar Barony?

Thanks for your time.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 19 Jun 2015 13:08:02
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  10:42:47  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you tell us more about T’karon, Hamra, and Alunor? What were their respective genders and elf subraces? did they have any house names to them? Thanks in advance ^_^

Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  12:23:47  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Steven, I have a question for you if you don't mind...

In Miyeritar, in Myth Olriith where would that be located in today’s time? Dark Elven Baelnorn Dalorix’ Melarn (what would she look like and style dress) of the Sapphire Moon Academy, can you give me a description of where she might be in its ruins (what they look like) and about the crystal lore spindles in relation to what is a psionic simulacrum (are they Kiiratel’Miyeritani)?
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2015 :  13:37:27  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Bruce: I think what you are asking about is fanon created by Snowblood.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2015 :  15:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Hello again Master Schend.

Do you perhaps recall anything about Sulmeth, the birthplace of the Kolat twins? So far, I've been working on the assumption that it's a small village in Erlkazar - perhaps in Shalanar Barony?

Thanks for your time.

Very much a small village--a thorp, almost. II was a small trade village (only by nature of a trade crossroads leading to the capitol) and farming village, once much larger but on hard times the past few decades. It was south-southwest of Llorbauth and served as one (of many) farming villages that specifically supplied the Mystics' Academy and the city guard/militia of Llorbauth.

Not on any maps (as most things below town status weren't mapped or noted), but there nonetheless.

Edited by - Steven Schend on 09 Jul 2015 15:42:43
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2015 :  15:40:59  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

Can you tell us more about T’karon, Hamra, and Alunor? What were their respective genders and elf subraces? did they have any house names to them? Thanks in advance ^_^

The Cor’Selu’Tarr’Miyeritaar triumverate, eh?

Well, all were former drow restored to dark elf status in BLACKSTAFF, so their house names are long lost to time and the confusion from millennia as sharn.

As for gender, Alunor and Hamra are female and T'karon is male.

Hope that helps somewhat....I'm still trying to recall where this info of mine re: Rhymanthiin saw publication......

SES

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2015 :  15:44:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Hello Steven, I have a question for you if you don't mind...

In Miyeritar, in Myth Olriith where would that be located in today’s time? Dark Elven Baelnorn Dalorix’ Melarn (what would she look like and style dress) of the Sapphire Moon Academy, can you give me a description of where she might be in its ruins (what they look like) and about the crystal lore spindles in relation to what is a psionic simulacrum (are they Kiiratel’Miyeritani)?

As noted, this is most likely Snowblod's work, so he's the better judge and/or person with answers. Very nifty, but not my stuff, so I'll let him chime in on it.

Go to Top of Page

Moragion Selian
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  19:20:43  Show Profile Send Moragion Selian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr Schend,

I posted a question about Cormanthyr Empire of the Elves on the rpg products forum, but I was told to maybe best post the question directly to you.

I've been rereading my Ad&d books again, and on Cormanthyr page 8 says something about a chapter called Worlds Beyond Cormanthyr, where there should be descriptions of the other races other than elves that live on Myth Drannor, and I suppose descriptions of neighbouring realms, but I haven't found anything like that. Am i missing something? Is this an errata for a chapter planned and then not included?

Hope you can help, as I really want to do some campaigning on Cormanthyr.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000