Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  07:27:20  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

A quick question, again related to Blackstaff Tower:
I was hiking yesterday with a few friends. It was hot and muggy, and I opened my buttoned shirt down to about my navel. One of my friends, a FR reader like me, remarked 'Are you trying to look like Ashemmon?' ('cause in Blackstaff Tower, when Laraelra meets his ghost, he's described as wearing a robe revealing his chest to navel). Another friend, who doesn't read FR, asked 'Is Asemmon a rapper I haven't heard of?' We said 'no'. 'Ah, a gangster, then?'
It dawned on us that the way I (and Ashemmon) wore out clothes was typical of rappers and gangsters (down to tattoos - Asemmon's, not mine, I don't have any).
Were you aware of this, Steven? And does anybody else have a comment, perhaps?

Ashemmon is wearing a robe, and pants, but no shirt. If his robe were open, his chest would be showing. I wouldn't characterize this as similar to a rapper or gangster, personally, merely a gentleman who is rather.. comfortable with his own skin.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  01:05:41  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>
3) Khelben's spiri(t) says to Varja when she claims the Blackstaff: "I see my blood and Gamalon's blood in you". How is Khelben and ancestor of Varja? And who is Gamalon?
<snip>

I would dearly love the Arunsun/Thann family tree to be made public, but I suspect it will be NDA until summer in Caina (because "until the other eight Hells freeze over" has been so overused in various forms). Please prove my suspicions wrong, somebody... anybody...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  01:11:20  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>Elminster mentions Shoon IV and Shoon VII, who were both 'evil incarnate'. Now, we have a tale of the cruelties of Shoon IV (the Death March). How about one of Shoon VII, who according to El, was even more abhorrent?<snip>

Well, the Tome of the Unicorn (more specifically, its creation) was a pretty darned appalling act... twelve unicorns were killed for its creation, IIRC? If you were looking for something unpublished, you'll have to wait for Steven's response...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  06:58:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I forgot about Gamalon... it's so hard, not having the books.The only way I can get them is order them, and even then, only several at a time. It's so frustrating!
Thanks a lot for the answers, though. They're a great help.
EDIT: Also re-reading Lands of Intrigue... especially the Tethyr part. So I have many questions: Elminster mentions Shoon IV and Shoon VII, who were both 'evil incarnate'. Now, we have a tale of the cruelties of Shoon IV (the Death March). How about one of Shoon VII, who according to El, was even more abhorrent?
What exactly was the treachery Amahl VII used to defeat King Silvyr?
What was the Sword of Starlight, and where is it?
WHat did the elves really do to Lord Dinos Akhlemere?
Where did the 'Retreat of the Elves' go to? I'm betting on Evermeet.

I'm not Steven, but I'll have ago at some of these:

For Shoon VII, see the write-up for the Tome of the Unicorn.

For Amahl Shoon VII, he used poison in his duel with Silvyr.

For the Sword of Starlight, this is another 'dangling realmslore hook' that Steven was a master at leaving behind in his writings. In other words, the answer to your question is whatever suits you.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 25 Jul 2009 06:59:23
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2009 :  18:36:38  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steve,

I'm not sure if this really an appropriate question or a waste of your time, but I wanted to put it out there. In my campaign, I'm using Khelben in a cameo position to sort of set up future events. I'm running Ruins of Adventure (Phlan, 1340) and will eventually lead into Curse of the Azure Bonds. One of the PCs (Anton) was left behind as the party got routed and he was taken unconcious to the wizard Yarash's pyramid up river. There he was marked with a series of blue tattoos up and down his arms and back. I'm leaving the hint that this is part of the protype for the Azure Bonds, themselves. He was also implanted with something that made him more or less a human shield golem. The party managed to defeat him in combat later, without killing him, but he remained comatose for quite some time.

He's a Cormaeril and his uncle, Dasmer Cormaeril, was able to pull some strings to have Khelben Arunsun "come and take a look." He will be able to return Anton to conciousness and coherant control of his own body. Several PCs will at least tangently encounter him while he remains in Phlan and I'd really like some guidance into making him memorable and truly Khelben. I've read Blackstaff and I've read other books in which he made an appearance, but if you had a couple of minutes to throw some thoughts out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Chris
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  03:36:11  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
<chop>

Steven
who does know quite a bit about Khelben's bloodline and relatives but can't say too much, as what'd be the fun in that?

Okay... revisiting this quickly... if lore regarding officially (canonically) deceased NPCs doesn't impact the IP, why can't lore regarding "dead-as-of-post-Spellplague" NPCs be freely discussed, NDA or not, especially if (as they have stated repeatedly) Wizbro is not interested in publishing anything regarding the unplagued Realms? I can, of course, see them changing their stance on this last point, given the apparent demand for such lore (as evidenced here at CK, for a start), and I suppose that answers my question, doesn't it? If not, please share any other answers you may have. Particularly if they relate to Khelben's extended family, esp. the Thann and Wands connections. Yes, I'm persistent. I suppose that all I can do is wait... but I've never liked waiting. In the meantime, whatever you can tell me that doesn't violate NDAs is greatly appreciated... however little that may be.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 Aug 2009 03:37:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  07:28:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
<chop>

Steven
who does know quite a bit about Khelben's bloodline and relatives but can't say too much, as what'd be the fun in that?

Okay... revisiting this quickly... if lore regarding officially (canonically) deceased NPCs doesn't impact the IP, why can't lore regarding "dead-as-of-post-Spellplague" NPCs be freely discussed, NDA or not, especially if (as they have stated repeatedly) Wizbro is not interested in publishing anything regarding the unplagued Realms? I can, of course, see them changing their stance on this last point, given the apparent demand for such lore (as evidenced here at CK, for a start), and I suppose that answers my question, doesn't it? If not, please share any other answers you may have. Particularly if they relate to Khelben's extended family, esp. the Thann and Wands connections. Yes, I'm persistent. I suppose that all I can do is wait... but I've never liked waiting. In the meantime, whatever you can tell me that doesn't violate NDAs is greatly appreciated... however little that may be.

It's not necessarily an NDA, in this case. Keep in mind that friend Steven is a fan of leaving as many mysteries as he solves.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  15:01:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
<chop>

Steven

It's not necessarily an NDA, in this case. Keep in mind that friend Steven is a fan of leaving as many mysteries as he solves.

It's both, I'm afraid.

I'm still tied to NDAs of long ago as well as the idea that it's better for you folks to have the freedom to make up what works for your campaigns.

Also, I'm well aware I've unwittingly stepped on other creatives' toes in the past by stating things as I understood them, so sometimes it's best to just keep my mouth shut.

Steven
www.steveneschend.com
who's leaving for Gen Con in 24 hours

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2009 :  09:22:36  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bytw Steven, in Blackstaff tower, the mage in grey whose wand could paralyze.

was said mage greyhands???

nobody has told me if Waterdeep's secret police are still around...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  04:19:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven I read your story in "Gamer Fantastic". Good stuff. So are you planning on writing anymore stories of AJ and Sam?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  04:45:16  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Steven I read your story in "Gamer Fantastic". Good stuff. So are you planning on writing anymore stories of AJ and Sam?

This is the first published one with AJ in it, but Sam appears in another one. :)

I'll direct you to Steven's site for more information, or you can PM as well. :)
http://www.steveneschend.com/

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  06:52:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, thank you.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  15:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are more than welcome.

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  17:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks very much, Brimstone.

To answer your question, definitely. If I can ever finish the novel in progress.

In the meantime, just go to my website and use the tags to find info and links to things about AJ, Sam, Oscar, etc. Then again, I could provide some links for that as well.

http://www.steveneschend.com/tag/aj-soltare/
http://www.steveneschend.com/tag/oscar-kharm/
http://www.steveneschend.com/2009/02/12/bio-sam-herneson/
http://www.steveneschend.com/tag/vanguard/

And to keep this even mildly within the scope of FR, my site also has lots of hints and hooks for a fantasy campaign (including the Realms, if you'd want to use Kharndam as one of the Torilian continents):
http://www.steveneschend.com/tag/kharndam/

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  17:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

No, I believe he was simply a member of the mages' guild, not a Greyhand. And no, I can't say one way or the other whether or not that organization still exists. They're protected by the greatest magic known: NDA harnesses.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  20:20:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks.

The dreaded NDA wins again.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  22:50:11  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No, I believe he was simply a member of the mages' guild, not a Greyhand. And no, I can't say one way or the other whether or not that organization still exists. They're protected by the greatest magic known: NDA harnesses.

well that answer is better than no answer.
thanks Steven Shend.

btw
when is your next book coming out???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  01:24:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Interesting.

See, I speculated previously abut a tidbit in Blackstaff Tower that made me think of the Grey Hands. 'Tis on pg. 191. A bit about all grey-robes possessing wands that allow them to paralyze or slow their opponents. This rang "Grey Hands" bells in my mind.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  03:26:52  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven... any thoughts on asking our own Markustay for a map of Kharndam? A world that vividly described needs a map... or maybe it's just the way my brain works, ever since reading Tolkien and being just as fascinated (if not moreso) by the maps and appendices as by the stories themselves... but that also explains why I'm such a Realmslore junkie. I'm working on building my own Arunsun-Thann-Wands genealogy, but I'm not finding enough information about relationships between characters outside of the main Arunsun line. Can you direct me to some published sources that might assist me in this quest? If it was published for the Realms and not a novel, I probably own it, but possibly don't have it with me at the moment; one notable exception is the Waterdeep Trail Map.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  20:54:41  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not very often that I have the opportunity to quote myself, so I'll take every chance when it comes along:
quote:

Write more Blackstaff novels, Steven! Fill them with lots of tasty bits of retrospective lore!* Please and thank you!

* - preferably lore of the sort that I've been inquiring about, but any lore regarding Khelben and his family is good.
(from my recent scroll in Sages of Realmslore; reposting here to make sure you get my request)

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  14:01:39  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's not very often that I have the opportunity to quote myself, so I'll take every chance when it comes along:
quote:

Write more Blackstaff novels, Steven! Fill them with lots of tasty bits of retrospective lore!* Please and thank you!

* - preferably lore of the sort that I've been inquiring about, but any lore regarding Khelben and his family is good.
(from my recent scroll in Sages of Realmslore; reposting here to make sure you get my request)

Thanks, Jakk. I'd love to write more BLACKSTAFF novels, but that's not in the cards at present.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  14:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven... any thoughts on asking our own Markustay for a map of Kharndam? A world that vividly described needs a map... or maybe it's just the way my brain works, ever since reading Tolkien and being just as fascinated (if not moreso) by the maps and appendices as by the stories themselves... but that also explains why I'm such a Realmslore junkie. I'm working on building my own Arunsun-Thann-Wands genealogy, but I'm not finding enough information about relationships between characters outside of the main Arunsun line. Can you direct me to some published sources that might assist me in this quest? If it was published for the Realms and not a novel, I probably own it, but possibly don't have it with me at the moment; one notable exception is the Waterdeep Trail Map.

I'll eventually do some rough maps of Kharndam for the site and if anyone does better versions, more power to them.

Can't help any more re: published sources of info on the geneologies, as 99% of that info only exists as my draft notes now locked under NDAs, I'm afraid.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  21:32:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, Jakk. I'd love to write more BLACKSTAFF novels, but that's not in the cards at present.

I would soooooooooooooo read another Blackstaff Novel.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  21:37:03  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response, Steven. No surprise re: genealogy info... I'll have to dig through the pile of published Realmslore on my own, I guess... fortunately, there are many far worse things one could be required to do.

Looking forward to seeing maps of Kharndam.

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2009 :  23:54:52  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I would as well

I just finished Blackstaff...now my wife is halfway through it. We both did the same thing when it came to Azure Edge...we scrambled through all the FR material we own and could find no reference to this item (?artifact?) Is this a previously mentioned item in any book or game?
Thanks

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  05:40:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

I just finished Blackstaff...now my wife is halfway through it. We both did the same thing when it came to Azure Edge...we scrambled through all the FR material we own and could find no reference to this item (?artifact?) Is this a previously mentioned item in any book or game?
Thanks

Azuredge is fully detailed in the old City of Splendors boxed set. Page 97 of the Campaign Guide to the City. There are other references to it scattered throughout the boxed set.

The 3E version is in Magic of Faerūn, page 168.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Sep 2009 05:40:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  08:10:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

quote:

quote:

I would as well

Thanks

'Azuredge' is a magical artifact that was crafted by Ahghairon in Waterdeep, and 'twas infused with the soul of the Warlord Lauroun. Steven originally set it up as an adventure hook in the 2e City of Splendors tome to:- " ... allow the PC party to get a hold of the axe to give them ties to the city and to give them an immediate, if unknown, hook with Khelben."

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Sep 2009 08:12:07
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  21:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe I missed it. Thanks all

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2009 :  17:42:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm rereading The Lord of the Rings right now (inspired by playing a lot of Lord of the Rings Online)... I just finished The Two Towers. And it occurred to me while reading it that Treebeard and his buddies deciding to guard Orthanc is much like Turlang and his buddies guarding the site of fallen Hellgate Keep. Was this intentional?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Sep 2009 17:44:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2009 :  00:28:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must admit, I never made that particular connection. And I really can't say that I see it as much the same in my book, but I'd be interested to hear what Steven has to say in reply to this.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000