Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  07:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

... the lovely piece by Larry of the cleric in the snow is an old favorite and fits my vision of the Realms...

If you mean "Avalyne the Lifegiver" (I think that's what it's called) that's one of my favourite pieces of fantasy art too. It was the cover of one of the very first Dragon magazines I ever bought and it still lingers in my consciousness now.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  10:26:59  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Ed is Mirt and Elminster, are you Khelben??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 26 Aug 2008 10:27:25
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  14:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

If Ed is Mirt and Elminster, are you Khelben??

Only on days without coffee can I summon up the proper Khelben growl.

And I've never been able to focus my gray/white hair in my beard to limit itself only to my chin.

Thus, the image doesn't hold up all that well.

I'll confess that Khelben's voice comes very easily to me, due to long familiarity, though I still insist he (and most Realms characters) are all still Ed's creations far more than mine.

Steven
who'll happily write in Khelben-speak when it suits, but the potential markets for that are dry (as WotC doesn't want past novels)

PS: Blackstaff Tower has a few notes of Khelben-speak in it, but how and why, you'll have to pick up the book to see.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  14:22:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But you do have a mock "Blackstaff," right?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  17:34:47  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

But you do have a mock "Blackstaff," right?

Be that what he be calling it then, eh?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  18:24:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, for one, can say that if you ever feel the need to write some Khelben 'fan fiction' (c'mon, normal stories people! Get your mind out of the gutters...), we'd be more than willing to read `em.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  03:15:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leaving aside all discussions of staves of any kind....

There's just no feeling to compare to getting a box of one's own novels in the mail. Just got my author's copies of Blackstaff Tower this afternoon and I'm giddy.

And since I didn't say it other than to him at Gen Con, I'll share it here. Ed wrote such a great introduction to this first book in the "Ed Greenwood Presents" line and I wanted to thank him more publicly for that. (And I meant what I said in my dedications too, Ed....)

Only a week to go before its official release date.....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  03:53:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine what it's like to experience that same feeling Steven [though I hope to one day], but I am indeed happy that you can draw so much joy from it. 'Tis indeed well deserved.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  06:26:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Only a week to go before its official release date.....

Ugh... Considering that my local bookstore never gets novels in on time, that means I won't be able to buy the book until after I get back from Ireland!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  07:20:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to read it, Steven. It should hit my shores by late September, fingers crossed.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  16:46:31  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Steven,

Why aren't you holding a drawing for a free signed copy of your next book like Paul Kemp and Jaleigh Johnson?

Sincerely,
Hawkins
Who likes winning free things!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  18:34:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gots the book! I gots the book! Hee-hee hee-hee

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  08:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, do you know (perhaps through the Missus) whether or not Kendall will be posting more of the art than just that one oh-so-very-strange piece by Keith Parkinson? I hope they put more online (and maybe explain that little picture).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  11:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Steven, do you know (perhaps through the Missus) whether or not Kendall will be posting more of the art than just that one oh-so-very-strange piece by Keith Parkinson? I hope they put more online (and maybe explain that little picture).

I doubt there'll be more on the site, alas; Sarah's too busy to keep changing or updating the site more than once a show unfortunately. Those were just the promo pieces the artists sent electronically (though the piece on this page is in the show and it's phenomenal up close http://www.kcad.edu/gallery/kendall-gallery/out-of-the-dungeons

Hopefully there are some Candlekeepers who'll make the jaunt over to Grand Rapids to see this art show in the next 3 weeks...

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  12:22:25  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, after returning from your honeymoon cruise you whimsically mentioned that the sea voyage aspect had stirred some ideas about pirate ship wizards. That inspired me to create a trio of NPC pirate spellslingers who hire out to ships in the Nelanther Isles for a Baldur's Gate II mod I'm working on. Please let me know if you have any further ideas you'd be willing to share about this specifically that I might incorporate!

This particular pirate mage group I'm designing will have been reduced to a duo by the time they're encountered in the game. But in general I wanted to emphasize the theme of spellcasters working seamlessly in tandem (initially as a trio) with some awe-inspiring spellcasting chops.

Did you have any ideas about what sorts of spellcasting routines pirate ship mages might use? Especially once a target ship is boarded, i.e., in combat to take over another vessel?

Anything else come to mind on this subject? (Or if it's something you'd rather keep under your hat for a future story, I underdstand, obviously.)

Edited by - Lemernis on 30 Aug 2008 19:36:12
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  18:38:44  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just poking my head up from Blackstaff Tower for a quick breath. I'm about halfway through the book and, so far, it is a great read. It does keep the flavor of the adventuring parties we are used to. I'll have more to say when I'm finished, and in another thread where I can warn about spoilers.

Thank you again!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  19:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Just poking my head up from Blackstaff Tower for a quick breath. I'm about halfway through the book and, so far, it is a great read. It does keep the flavor of the adventuring parties we are used to. I'll have more to say when I'm finished, and in another thread where I can warn about spoilers.

Thank you again!

No--thank YOU. Every author I know is humbly grateful for each and every reader who picks up his/her work. I'm looking forward to reading your comments on the book and hearing what worked, what didn't, and what it made you think about while reading.

So does the book discussion forum not open until the book is released on Tuesday? I hope that's where you'd planned to talk about BT, Ashe....but you're welcome to direct comments here as well.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  23:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So many people here seem to have picked it up, I've been to every new bookshop in town now. Everybody says Tuesday for both your book and Jaleigh's (and not until the 30th for the paperback of Gentlemen of the Road, which is the other book I'm looking forward to buying this month). Between that and nothing I needed at Half Price, it's been a frustrating weekend at the bookstores!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  03:48:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be at my local Borders Tusday morning.

If they don't have it, I may have to hurt them... a little.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  13:34:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis

Steven, after returning from your honeymoon cruise you whimsically mentioned that the sea voyage aspect had stirred some ideas about pirate ship wizards. That inspired me to create a trio of NPC pirate spellslingers who hire out to ships in the Nelanther Isles for a Baldur's Gate II mod I'm working on. Please let me know if you have any further ideas you'd be willing to share about this specifically that I might incorporate!

This particular pirate mage group I'm designing will have been reduced to a duo by the time they're encountered in the game. But in general I wanted to emphasize the theme of spellcasters working seamlessly in tandem (initially as a trio) with some awe-inspiring spellcasting chops.

Did you have any ideas about what sorts of spellcasting routines pirate ship mages might use? Especially once a target ship is boarded, i.e., in combat to take over another vessel?

Anything else come to mind on this subject? (Or if it's something you'd rather keep under your hat for a future story, I underdstand, obviously.)

No real solid thoughts on piracy and spells, other than these off the top of my head:

Swim or row silently in small boats up to target ships (or invisibly works even better) and then unleash fog/sheltering mists spells around the ship so they can't see you coming. Illusion spells are also all good in terms of distracting a target ship (by sending massive sea monsters popping up on all sides of them audibly and visibly...)

Grease is still king of the low-level effectives in terms of making it hard for folks to climb ropes, walk decks safely, etc. Use it liberally.

For boarding and attacking ships, use combat spells that don't affect the integrity of the ship you're trying to claim--thus, more sound or ice/cold spells over fire or force. If your intent IS to sink the ship or damage it overmuch, then by all means, use all methods to do so.

Druids can be moderately effective (or at least their spells on scrolls) by warping wood and affecting the ship's hull....

If there are ways to phase things out of sync with reality (i.e. send things ethereal or astral), have them do that to opponents' sails to slow them down or limit their movement. Icing up the waters around them may also help....and while I'm unsure at this moment, I wonder if Evard's Black Tentacles can be summoned in water to grapple/slow a ship.....

No other thoughts right now, but I hope some of these rambles spark other ideas....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  13:43:35  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...and while I'm unsure at this moment, I wonder if Evard's Black Tentacles can be summoned in water to grapple/slow a ship...

Evard's Watery Tentacles would be a cool variation. Or something like it from a druidic source. I'm flashing on surfing holy men like those Captain Cook's sailors saw in Polynesia in the 1760s, fighting ships with summoned aquatic creatures and water spouts and tentacles. And stuff.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  15:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, be warned there's some spoilers for Blackstaff but none really for Blackstaff Tower. Still, I'm happy to start seeing reviews out there for this book.

http://andrewd2.livejournal.com/34039.htm

Alaundo, Sage, or Wooly--is there a better place I should be placing review sites for my novel other than herein?

Steven

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  16:17:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not as such. You could create a new scroll for exactly that purpose I suppose, or merely add the link to other discussions we have here about the Blackstaff novel.

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Sep 2008 16:18:12
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  22:41:29  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spells stilled, Steven:

I got this question in during the silence of your working on
Blackstaff Tower, but it seemed to disappear.
I want to use Halaster in some other way that what happened at the end
of EtU. I want to say that he has escaped the "office" of Mad Mage of
Undermountain "taken by a Manshoon clone" and Halaster becoming a wild
card factor in Faerun as a servant of Mystra. Now, while he is free
from his insanity, what would he try and do? Raise another Imasker
kingdom? Do the ever popular manipulate behind the scenes like everybody else with
power does? Go into hermitism and bury himself in another deep hole in the ground?
Who would his allies be? Would he use allies, or just servitor creatures? Would he
try and collect the Imasker artifacts? Snuff out the Church of Shar or maybe ally with
the Lords of Waterdeep and take a more "evil" approach similar to the Blackstaff? Where would he base his activities?
This inquiring mind wants to know.

(It may be that my question has already made the scroll and that I have overlooked it.
If it be the case, I apoligise for the double question. But I have went about twenty pages
back and did not see it. I also realize that all these ?'s may be covered by NDA's)
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  17:56:34  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spells stilled, Steven:

I must unfortunitly go back to staves discussion.
Am I incorrent in assuming that the minor blackstaffs
that Khelben gave out in Blackstaff (the book) are incomplete
copies of the Blackstaff (the artifact)? I only ask this
because in the back of Epic-Level Sourcebook a blackstaff
is detailed under Khelben's entry, and I assumed that it
was a minor blackstaff.

Edited by - althen artren on 08 Sep 2008 01:16:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  19:12:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would prolly be more accurate to think of them as lesser blackstaves, rather than incomplete ones.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  03:07:04  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, going by Blackstaff Tower, the lesser versions are Duskstaves to the artifact Blackstaff.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  10:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It would prolly be more accurate to think of them as lesser blackstaves, rather than incomplete ones.

It's staffs, dammit! Staffs! Barrels have staves, wizards have staffs. And "eldritch" just means "old," not "arcane" or "or "magical." And sailors who live ashore in shanties sing chanties, not vice versa.

(Well that's twenty-five years of spleen well-vented!)

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  11:11:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's "staffs," dammit! Staffs! Barrels have "staves," wizards have staffs. And "eldritch" just means "old," not "arcane" or "or "magical." And sailors who live ashore in shanties sing "chanties," not vice versa. I have made it a personal goal to correct these usages throughout the entire world of gaming and fantasy fiction.

(Well that's twenty-five years of spleen well-vented!)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  12:09:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to my dictionary program (by Webster's), staves is the correct pluralization of staff. Dictionary.com says either staves or staffs is correct. And in both cases, that pluralization does refer specifically to multiple sticks of wood.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000