Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  18:49:14  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now that I can finally talk about it after tossing the first draft over the wall and onto the editor's desks.......

WIZARDS Series Book 1
July 2006

BLACKSTAFF
by Steven E. Schend

Can't begin to tell y'all how equally exhausted and excited I am about this.....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  19:48:47  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

And now that I can finally talk about it after tossing the first draft over the wall and onto the editor's desks.......

WIZARDS Series Book 1
July 2006

BLACKSTAFF
by Steven E. Schend

Can't begin to tell y'all how equally exhausted and excited I am about this.....

I think one or two in the fan-base might mirror those feelings to some extent, or well, every single member of it that's ever read one of your sourcebooks actually

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  20:12:42  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is awesome Steven! Can't wait to read it!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  20:54:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WIZARDS Series Book 1
July 2006

BLACKSTAFF
by Steven E. Schend

Very wonderful news. Will this be a present day tale or will the novel be about past events?
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  21:38:34  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet mother of freaking Mystra, this is awesome! Khelbun is my favorite character, and Steven is a good part of the reason for that (the other two parts of course being Elaine and Ed). THIS IS JUST AWESOME!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  23:03:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WIZARDS Series Book 1
July 2006

BLACKSTAFF
by Steven E. Schend

Rock! That is truly wonderful news!

That's great... You are the man when it comes to channeling Khelben. And this is a great way for you to return to the Realms... Plus, it's a novel!

I am excited about this. You know you've already sold at least one copy!

Congratulations on getting it done, and welcome back to the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  23:39:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Thank ye greatly for this information, Steven. It's been a killer keeping this information in and not sharing it with others Great news....and it certainly seems to have gone down very well so far

I'll definately be looking forward to this one!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  00:42:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's announced! Now I can finally exhale! I am so looking forward to seeing this in print, it promises to be a beauty. And yes Steven, tell us more, more, more.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  03:01:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WIZARDS Series Book 1
July 2006

BLACKSTAFF
by Steven E. Schend

Steven, this is wonderfully exciting news!

I'm so very glad to see you're once again taking up the author's quill. You're BACK in the Realms!!! In fact, I was so pleased by this news that I spilt my morning orange juice when I first read it!

I can't wait for the time when you can start dropping the odd tidbit or three about what this particular novel will focus on... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Jul 2005 03:03:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  03:17:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

WIZARDS Series Book 1
July 2006

BLACKSTAFF
by Steven E. Schend

Very wonderful news. Will this be a present day tale or will the novel be about past events?

According to his blog, it's in 1374. I'd post the exact quote, but I don't know if he'd want that or not. Ditto for linking to said blog. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  03:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the kind words.

Yes, it takes place in 342 Northreckoning.

No, I'd rather not have my blog linked here, thanks for asking, Wooly. Some of you know where it is, and that's fine, but as it's a more personal site and I'd rather be professional here, let's leave that tiny shred of a line there, please.

I still have to check as to whether or not I generate the back cover copy or if it's done in-house; if I write it, I'll see if I can get an okay to post it here eventually. Just remember it's still a year off, folks. Spend your money on Ed's and Elaine's book, eh? (and yeah, part of why he's not in their book is this one I've been writing...)

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  09:09:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic! Now this is the kind of novel i've been hoping for for years! Thanks for letting us know, Steven. Can't wait. Will the novel be based in Waterdeep or elsewhere?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  12:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only want to say that I stay static before my PC after I read that new for more than 10 minutes!
A Khelben novel by Steven Arunsum? Err... Khelben Schend? Err... man, man... there´s nothing need to say. Only pray in gratitude for Mystra, Azuth, and a great number of good gods for that new.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  13:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Fantastic! Now this is the kind of novel i've been hoping for for years! Thanks for letting us know, Steven. Can't wait. Will the novel be based in Waterdeep or elsewhere?

Yes.

The majority of the action takes place in Waterdeep and a lot of scenes within Blackstaff Tower. I don't want to ruin the surprise (nor do I know what will survive through second draft) so I'll not talk too much about how far afield the story goes across space or time....

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  13:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do we find out whats going on between the HArpers and the Moonstars these days?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  17:42:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I certainly hope so! I'd love to know what the Tel'Teukiira is up to, and some things they've accomplished.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  04:51:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I certainly hope so! I'd love to know what the Tel'Teukiira is up to, and some things they've accomplished.

I agree. I'd also like to read a little more about the Schism itself and how both groups initially felt toward each other.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  05:22:02  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

I agree. I'd also like to read a little more about the Schism itself and how both groups initially felt toward each other.

Well, I've worked some of them into the novel, but to talk more would ruin things. I will say the book hinges on a plot I've kept in my back pocket for far more years than the Harper/Moonstar schism...though I would love to do a book on just that myself.

In lieu of that, whaddya wanna know about the Schism?

In some folks' eyes (i.e. the Harpers fanatically loyal to the hierarchy at Berdusk), the Harpers/Moonstars split is akin to the state of American politics among its two major parties. They're two groups that share alleged goals but have vastly different attitudes and ideas about the good ways to go about them.

Among the rank and file and those in the field, it's really just a tempest in a teapot bit of semantics. If someone who's now a Moonstar was previously a trusted friend, they're not going to stop trusting that person on someone else's say-so. Most are too pragmatic for that.

On the other hand, neither side will be all 100% trusting. Think of them as "fellow intelligence agents." Each side may know things about the other side and/or situations, but neither side wants to be the one to tip their hand....

That help you out in terms of attitudes, role-playing, and such, Sage?

PS: Wooly, Kyriani still sleeps with Harpers, despite her Moonstar status. Just in case you were wondering.

Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  07:09:38  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this book mean we might see you return to writing FR source books some time in the nearish future?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  07:34:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Well, I've worked some of them into the novel, but to talk more would ruin things. I will say the book hinges on a plot I've kept in my back pocket for far more years than the Harper/Moonstar schism...
Now that is an intriguing snippet... .

quote:
In lieu of that, whaddya wanna know about the Schism?
Basically, how did the Harpers feel about the Moonstars immediately after the Schism? Group tensions and feelings of betrayal aside, was there ever a point where the Senior Harpers thought about trying to bring their wayward "brothers and sisters"... back into the fold? Did the Schism completely destroy any attempts for future reconciliation? Do you foresee the Harpers and Moonstars ever eventually seeing eye-to-eye -- perhaps enough so that they could actually work together?

I imagine that there are those among the Harpers who still retain a relative measure of their anger toward the Moonstars, regardless of the time that has past since the Schism. In that regard how long did it take the most senior Harpers at Berdusk to fully (or as fully as they were willing to allow) accept Khelben's actions and those of the Moonstars?

quote:
In some folks' eyes (i.e. the Harpers fanatically loyal to the hierarchy at Berdusk), the Harpers/Moonstars split is akin to the state of American politics among its two major parties. They're two groups that share alleged goals but have vastly different attitudes and ideas about the good ways to go about them.

Among the rank and file and those in the field, it's really just a tempest in a teapot bit of semantics. If someone who's now a Moonstar was previously a trusted friend, they're not going to stop trusting that person on someone else's say-so. Most are too pragmatic for that.

On the other hand, neither side will be all 100% trusting. Think of them as "fellow intelligence agents." Each side may know things about the other side and/or situations, but neither side wants to be the one to tip their hand....
I'd see this more as the current perspective on relations between the Harpers and the Moonstars. Time has tried its best efforts to find a common ground between them.

quote:
That help you out in terms of attitudes, role-playing, and such, Sage?
Actually yes, it does . Steven, once again I appreciate your creative insight into the background of important Realms elements .

You've left this particular Sage... wanting more!

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jul 2005 07:45:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  16:44:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

PS: Wooly, Kyriani still sleeps with Harpers, despite her Moonstar status. Just in case you were wondering.

Thanks for sharing that!

Does Kyri make an appearance in your novel?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  16:47:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobROE

Does this book mean we might see you return to writing FR source books some time in the nearish future?

That's a question on my mind, as well.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  12:19:34  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is one of the best things I have heard in a long while.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  18:20:13  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BobROE

That's a question on my mind, as well.

Mine too, but remember that the Books and RPG Departments are two totally different animals, and working with one does not guarantee working with another.

All in all, I'd rather get another book contract, thank ye very much.

In other answers...
Wooly--Yes, Kyri makes an appearance in the novel, but we'll have to see if she survives the revising and editing processes. After all, there's more than a few notables popping up in this book. Had to make it live up to its series title of THE WIZARDS, after all.....

Sage--Immediate impact of the Schism was more "WTF?!?" reactions from established Harpers outside of the political circles, than outright battling. Only those die-hards who immediately worked with the three at Berdusk might see things as irreconcilable...and there may be other hidden reasons for that as well....<mutters something about things never being as simple or as direct as they might seem...people never being as simple as they might seem....>

Here's the view on how I see most Senior Harpers dealing with it all--Khelben does NOTHING without seven plans and eighteen reasons for doing it. He also knows many things we know nothing about. Further, he's been on hand to help found the Harpers TWICE. Thus, we'll give him his leeway and trust that what he does won't impede Harper works. They may not like being out of the loop, but they do have some level of trust that Khelben works for the greater good always. They just get pissy because he doesn't share what he knows.

From Khelben's perspective, "What I do is mine own business and that with whom I share said business. All others who wish to know these secrets know not the wearisome burden it is to carry them. What I do with my tel'teukiira and what I have done with the Harpers shall protect the most and sacrifice the least in the long days ahead, both among those who Harp, those who Watch, and the populaces they protect."

More than likely, I'll tinker with some notes files and turn them into either web support or articles for DRAGON, with the okay of Books, that is.... Really, really hope I get to write The <NDA> of Khelben Arunsun.....

Enough give-aways for now; I'm off to a picnic.

Hope to talk to y'all later and keep the discussion going on Moonstars and Moon Pies and everything in between.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  01:25:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Enough give-aways for now; I'm off to a picnic.
Can I come too? If only to press you with more questions about the Moonstars... .

I'm kidding of course . After your sharing of more lore regarding the Moonstars, I wish you a grand picnic indeed .

Thanks again Steven.

Go to Top of Page

Llah
Acolyte

Ukraine
6 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  07:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Llah's Homepage Send Llah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Stiven. Accessory "Fall of Myth Drannor" is one of the best FR products for me. This book impressed me a lot, as the "Elminster in Myth Drannor", which I read earlier so I want to write some fan-fiction collection of essays about the Fall. But when the first three stories were ready, I run into some problems. And these problems are in the following questions. I already asked them to Ed Greenwood, and Wooly advised me to ask them for you too. So:
1. The main theme of collection is the story of Iolas Eyriendor, Arykerym of Ak'Velahr, whose name was mentioned in the "Fall of Myth Drannor". He was described, as traitor, but I'd think a lot about his deeds…and asked myself: "And what if this man only executed a command?". So I read this book again and thought: "Hmm, the Fall was very bad event for all…except Noble Houses. They regain Old Elven Court, closed it for all non-elves, unruly commanders (such as Captain Selorn and Major Olortynaal) were dead, and the N'Tel'Quess-members of Council also were killed. This is very interesting". And after two days, when I sat at the table with pencil and paper, I suddenly stop writing and thought: "And what, if the Houses decided to surrender Myth Drannor with all its N'Tel'Quess?" So the first question to Ed is - "Could Houses decide to do this, or not? Could they decide to destroy the whole city for the restoration of elven glory?"
2. Second question. During the Twilight's Falling Lady Steel and a lot of Harpers at Twilight died. But what role did they play in Myth Drannor? Was their death important or nor? And could the Houses decide to kill her for the best of all golden elves?
3. In the description of the battle, which was named Dawn at Erolith's Knoll, the name of Erolith was mentioned. Is there any information about this "noted sylvan elf scout and warrior."
4. Human-mage Nezras, who later was named, as Traitor? Played some role in the Fall. There is no information about him, except notes about his participations in battles and his wedding with elven wizardress Raejiisa Sicafei. There are two questions - Is there anything about his life? - and - Could the family Sicafei agree with this wedding for the future use of Nezras during the War?
5. During the Silvergate Battle? Elminster Aumar detonated the portal between Silverymoon and Myth Drannon from within. Here is the citation from the rulebook - "Elminster was lost among the planes for a time, due to his task of destroying the gate from within". Is any information about El's traveling between planes?
6. During The Third Court Crusade 2/3 of Captain Selorn's forces were leaved in the restored Elven Court. He was a good commander and had to understood, that with 1/3 of army he couldn't do nothing in Myth Drannor - only die. So the question is: What was more important for Selorn, as a Captain of Ak'Velahr and also the son of the House Selorn - the order of Houses, representatives which formed the Council of Elven Court, or his duty before Myth Drannor?
7. And the last question. The Bane Duel. The last hope of Myth Drannor…or no? Or may be the hope was dead long ago? The last question is: IF Captain Fflar defeated Aulmpiter and stay alive, could he save the City of Song, or not?
That's all. I'll be very grateful for answers.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  14:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, Llah. That's a lot to digest before I've had my morning's coffee...and alas, I'm short on time right now.

Thank you for the kind comments on FoMD, and it looks like I'm going to have to go back and reread what I'd written before taking a stab at answering your very intriguing and well-thought-out questions.

Hopefully I'll be able to tackle these questions and give them the answers they deserve soon. Let me just say it's gratifying to see someone get out of that product exactly what I'd hoped--a lot more thinking about the stories behind the stories, given the short shrift/overview nature of that product.

And now's a good time if anyone else lurking out there asked me questions that have remained unanswered as well. Remind me, as my brain's a sieve some times...

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  21:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven, since you are asking for a reminder, I am still very curious if you have any musings about what iteresting cultures and critters can be found on those terra incognitas around the globe of Toril.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2005 :  18:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Despite the self-aggrandizing puffery of those windbags at Twilight Hall, the Blackstaff stands, as ever, unbowed. But then again, that's what makes him so much fun to tease."

-Kyriani Agrivar

THIS is an absolutely marvelous quote, and I'm very curious as to its origin. I'm 98% certain that I never wrote it, and I was under the impression that I was among the blessed few keeping that little minx in print and continuity. Found the quote on WotC's boards, and I'm just dying to find out from whence it came. Wooly? Anyone?

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2005 :  18:43:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NOTE TO LLAH

You've not been forgotten, but due to troubles with my personal computers, I'm very limited on online time and can't answer your query at present. Trust that I'm still working on it and should have some answers for you soon.

Sorry for the delays, but my time is not my own, I'm afraid.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000