Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2008 :  15:10:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

I was looking for some information on buying land and/or buildings in the Realms due to some interest by some of my players. I came across hints pointing me to "Property Values in Waterdeep" with a link to geocities, but the link is no longer valid. Does anyone know of a new link or someplace to get a copy of the article? Thank you.

I believe The Sage took care of referencing an old post/article I'd written however long ago in LAND PRICING IN THE REALMS, in the Running the Realms threads. Having reread that, I'd still agree that those prices are applicable still, at least for Waterdeep.

That said, in the immediate post-Spellplague mess in Waterdeep, there's probably an additional bump of at least 10-15% in prices across the board for one reason--the magical bulwarking of so many buildings may have made the foundations of those buildings and many more unstable when the magical supports collapsed. Thus, a lot of building will be happening in Waterdeep because of the Spellplague, but fret not--the city and the majority of the buildings will survive. Just know that those minor buildings that obviously need magical support (like many ostentatious noble's homes perched atop magical constructions) may not survive....and when they need to be rebuilt, there's due to be extra charges because they may have to reshore or rebuild the entire foundation...and build it mundanely this time....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2008 :  20:36:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn
Now that some background has been laid down and you’ve cringed at my writing skills enough to give you a neck ache =), How do you think Alorin would fit in the Moonstars organization? Would he still be taking direction from and working for Simov? I see Alorin’s role as more of an information funnel and occasional strike force as needed, working with and for more senior members.

While I realize our campaign is just that, ours, your opinion in these matters is greatly respected and appreciated.

Nice ideas and good details, Alorin.

I'd probably make Alorin an equal to Simov and perhaps his go-between and contact with the rest of the Moonstars (or perhaps both of you use Elsura and others for that purpose). As the Loudwater rep, your closest base of operations away from that is actually Rhymanthiin, where it's most likely you will be apprised of its existence, if not invited in. Your higher rank contacts within the Moonstars want to meet there, if not close by (perhaps you simply get on a boat and sail out onto Highstar Lake and are levitated into Tor Asuor to meet with folks there).

While I doubt you'll be dealing directly with Tsarra (still totally disguised as Khelben throughout the years up to and beyond the Spellplague) often, you might meet with her in her guise (not as the Blackstaff) and she promises to pass along your info to the Blackstaff. Otherwise, your most common contact for the five to ten years after the events of Blackstaff might be Laeral or Malchor Harpell and you'll be busier because of the rumors that start flying about the changes on the HIgh Moor. They'll count on him to funnel worthy people down toward them at Rhymanthiin and to distract and keep away those looking for plunder or magical riches.

Heck, he might even be called in in early 1375 to assemble trustworthy heroes to be among a number of parties out on the High Moor keeping other things and peoples busy while the Grand Mages of Rhymanthiin and their people empty out the library behind Kraanfhaor's Door....

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2008 :  20:44:05  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Steven,

I´m in need of a help to better detail the background of my new and improved Realms player character (after years behind the DM screen, I finally will play).

I´m creating an evereskan sun elf that broke the ties with his family and go back to cormanthyr, to take care of the forest. He´s a druid / wizard in training (1 level in each class ).

What I want is an old and traditional sun elf family that have a good contact with the Blackstaff (he was trained in the Art in the Blackstaff Tower), and that is originated from Myth Drannor. Do you have some sugestion?

Thanks in advance

Chosen of Moradin, playing with an elf,only to break my own stereotype.

Well, there's at least two or three gold elf family names mentioned in Blackstaff (novel); the ones he's on best terms with might be the Ilbaereths (who descended from two Myth Drannor families....can't remember which ones but their names mash together into Ilbaereth and it got a mention when Tsarra met Yaereene).

Whoops. The Ilbaereths are up in Neverwinter Woods, not near Evereska.

The family with whom he has the most ties in Evereska is his half-sister's family; Phaerl Hawksong is a moon elf who married into the gold elf Hawksong clan (so her kids are either one or the other, similar to Ashemmi, who's also gold/moon mixed elf). Phaerl had no contact with Khelben for about 140 years as Khelben's and her husband Calarel's politics did NOT mix; he died in 1311, and since then Phaerl, Laeral, and Khelben were the primary folks involved in the building of the tel'Teukiira (though they weren't revealed until 1370 or so).

The Hawksong clan is a large family name well honored in Evereska, so that one should work best for you.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2008 :  20:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Greetings friend Schend,

What information can I coax out of you regarding the tunnels of Clan Tarynstone in Myth Drannor (if you remember anything, that is).

I'm afraid I have no immediate knowledge or memory at hand about Clan Tarynstone or the tunnels beneath its manor/holdings in Myth Drannor, alas.

My suggestion, as I doubt anyone has maps of those already, is to either pay homage to Gary Gygax and randomly create the dungeons using the 1st Edition DMG tables OR make them whatever you need them to be.

I'll ask for more info on what you need to know exactly about these tunnels and see what ideas pop forth (but I'm away for a few days, so expect a delay). In other words, what are your interests in Clan Tarynstone and their lands (and that will help shape my answer as well).

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2008 :  20:50:46  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Hello Steven. I've got another question about Westgate, if I could get a moment of your time. I'm going to ask Eric Boyd as well, given that you said previously that he was the one who did more on the city.

What would be the seal/symbol of both Durgar the Just, Croamarkh of Westgate, and the official seal of Westgate itself. I was thinking that for Durgar, a derivation of the Tyrran symbol would be suitable, while for Westgate itself perhaps a ship, surrounded by seven hills. Any ideas?

Westgate's always been Eric's baby (as well as Jeff & Kate Grubb's, which is why Alias of the Azure Bonds was tied to it). Thus, my answer should be less than canonical, as I've not as invested therein.

I like the idea of Durgar's mark being derived from Tyr's--how about merging his holy symbol with a full sail and/or mast of a ship? Your suggestions on Westgate's mark sound good too, though I'd probably replace the seven hills with coins as easier to see/mark.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2008 :  21:43:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Well, there's at least two or three gold elf family names mentioned in Blackstaff (novel); the ones he's on best terms with might be the Ilbaereths (who descended from two Myth Drannor families....can't remember which ones but their names mash together into Ilbaereth and it got a mention when Tsarra met Yaereene).

Whoops. The Ilbaereths are up in Neverwinter Woods, not near Evereska.

The family with whom he has the most ties in Evereska is his half-sister's family; Phaerl Hawksong is a moon elf who married into the gold elf Hawksong clan (so her kids are either one or the other, similar to Ashemmi, who's also gold/moon mixed elf). Phaerl had no contact with Khelben for about 140 years as Khelben's and her husband Calarel's politics did NOT mix; he died in 1311, and since then Phaerl, Laeral, and Khelben were the primary folks involved in the building of the tel'Teukiira (though they weren't revealed until 1370 or so).

The Hawksong clan is a large family name well honored in Evereska, so that one should work best for you.

Steven

Thanks for the reply, Steven.

Hmmm... Hawksong clan, eh? And I´m creating a druid of Solonor, the hawkeye? Fitting.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  21:05:37  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Greetings friend Schend,

What information can I coax out of you regarding the tunnels of Clan Tarynstone in Myth Drannor (if you remember anything, that is).

I'm afraid I have no immediate knowledge or memory at hand about Clan Tarynstone or the tunnels beneath its manor/holdings in Myth Drannor, alas.

My suggestion, as I doubt anyone has maps of those already, is to either pay homage to Gary Gygax and randomly create the dungeons using the 1st Edition DMG tables OR make them whatever you need them to be.

I'll ask for more info on what you need to know exactly about these tunnels and see what ideas pop forth (but I'm away for a few days, so expect a delay). In other words, what are your interests in Clan Tarynstone and their lands (and that will help shape my answer as well).

Steven

I am in the process of constructing a properly cited essay/netbook for turning in here at Candlekeep of Myth Drannor, trying to pull together all the massive info from all the various sources such as CEoE, FoMD, RoMD, EIoE, Last Mythral trilogy, Dragons, that I have access to, and adding some fluff of my own creation. Anyway, I would like to give some detail about the connections between buildings, crypts and other cellars that the tunnels of Clan Tarynstone connected with each other. If you don't remember anything, thats alright, but I like getting as much info from the original source as possible before adding my own info. Some of the stuff I was hoping for were the clans who were calling for the death penalty at the Ruling Council meeting, the size and dimensions of the tunnels, I thought I would try and hand draw a map between the building mentioned. You mentioned their estate, do you remember where their estate was?

While I doubt you have time to see it, would you like to see an example of what I done with the Burial Glen? It would give you an idea of what I am trying to do with the essay, and maybe spark some long lost iota of info you forgot on them.

Edited by - althen artren on 19 Mar 2008 21:07:11
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  16:13:04  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Greetings friend Schend,

Steven

I am in the process of constructing a properly cited essay/netbook for turning in here at Candlekeep of Myth Drannor, trying to pull together all the massive info from all the various sources such as CEoE, FoMD, RoMD, EIoE, Last Mythral trilogy, Dragons, that I have access to, and adding some fluff of my own creation. Anyway, I would like to give some detail about the connections between buildings, crypts and other cellars that the tunnels of Clan Tarynstone connected with each other. If you don't remember anything, thats alright, but I like getting as much info from the original source as possible before adding my own info. Some of the stuff I was hoping for were the clans who were calling for the death penalty at the Ruling Council meeting, the size and dimensions of the tunnels, I thought I would try and hand draw a map between the building mentioned. You mentioned their estate, do you remember where their estate was?

While I doubt you have time to see it, would you like to see an example of what I done with the Burial Glen? It would give you an idea of what I am trying to do with the essay, and maybe spark some long lost iota of info you forgot on them.

I'm afraid I've no memory re: Clan Tarynstone or any particulars about their (or most any elven family's estates) estate buildings in MD.

That said, here're my conjectures and assumptions on what to expect within their holdings:

Definite tunnels into main cellars for food and goods storage (those are obvious, and many have secret doors and tunnels among them to aid movement throughout and beneath the house's main buildings). The secret doors/tunnels at these levels are almost meant to be found to distract thieves and infiltrators.

There are (80% of time) often deeper, more secret tunnels (think three or four successively more difficult to find/trigger secret doors within one foundation wall) that hide the family crypts, if they keep such (rather than Burial Glen or other places longer held by the family outside of Myth Drannor). These hidden passages are quite likely to link buildings that the heads of the families used most often and ensured that important figures to the family could never be easily trapped and/or assassinated. As for those ways to disguise secret doors.....if the first entry point is to entomb onself inside a lifesize elf statue at what seems to be the obvious door to the family crypt, which then opens a slide beneath the statue, ending in a very snug room with crushing walls that conveniently destroy any intruders who don't find the next secret door quickly enough....and that door opens to a corridor with tip-floor-covers over many deadly pit traps...and only someone with true knowledge would know that the 3rd pit has both a feather fall effect beneath its lid and the final secret door opening to lead to safe passages and/or secret chambers...

Remember the most basic thing about elves and the political powers in MD--they are vastly long-lived (as are their intrigues, their plans, and their building of comfort and safety into their homes). Thus, no matter how complex or tangled some things seem, they've had a long time to plan and execute nearly any potential construction....

And imagine if a family of elven (secret) necromancers had been working on a potion or item that takes a millennium to craft....and the ways in which they'd work to both hide and protect that secret.....

Hope these notes help..and apologies I can't provide more specific help on the Tarynstones. I suspect the sort of thing above may spark enough ideas to work in new plots with them and many others....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  22:37:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Steven, you've been away from Myth Drannor for too long. Clan Tarynstone was a dwarven clan.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  03:20:56  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Oh Steven, you've been away from Myth Drannor for too long. Clan Tarynstone was a dwarven clan.

-- George Krashos

Where's the smiley with egg on its face?

Well, what I said above still holds, as dwarves are also long lived and even better at sneaky traps et al. Still.....mea culpa....

Steven
aka Azoun the Embarrassed

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  11:56:17  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm... I need to read it again, since I can't remember that bit although several of my PCs have met Lady Ilbaereth. That said, will 'Blackstaff Tower' feature any elven clans or reveal juicy tidbits about ancient elven realms? I have high expectations for it, since it's probably going to be the only 4E FR novel I'm going to buy.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  07:21:20  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Steve, I have a question. It's fairly straight-forward, don't worry.

-We know that the Sharn (most of them) were transformed Dark Elves. We also know that Dark Elves could use Elven High Magic. That said, was the Sharn Wall created using a form/variant of Elven High Magic, usable by the Sharn? I am asking because Player's Guide to Faerûn states that Elven High Magic was unable to repair the breach in the Sharn Wall in 1371 DR, and I've been giving some thought as to the reason why.

-As always, we all appreciate any insight you can give us, and that you take the time to help us all out here.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2008 :  20:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Steve, I have a question. It's fairly straight-forward, don't worry.

-We know that the Sharn (most of them) were transformed Dark Elves. We also know that Dark Elves could use Elven High Magic. That said, was the Sharn Wall created using a form/variant of Elven High Magic, usable by the Sharn? I am asking because Player's Guide to Faerûn states that Elven High Magic was unable to repair the breach in the Sharn Wall in 1371 DR, and I've been giving some thought as to the reason why.

-As always, we all appreciate any insight you can give us, and that you take the time to help us all out here.

Sheesh. A week to come back and answer this. I'm ashamed. My bad.

Well, I'll confess that I'd never really made a study of the Sharn Wall, but here's my take on it and why elves couldn't repair it.

The Sharn, at least as I've always posited them since the summer of 1991, are a uniquely amalgamated race with unique mindsets due to the collective consciousness of it all.

Given that WotC never officially set the sharn up as X+Y+Z creatures and instead left it wide open, that allowed me the freedom to set up BLACKSTAFF and its climax the way I did. Thus, my take should not be seen as excluding any other interpretations, just adding details as I see `em.

The simplest answer--it's not JUST Elven High Magic. It's MORE than that, though elven High Magic formed the skeleton on which it's built.

The long answer--Remember that the sharn are a combined 3 GRAND Mages, perhaps an additional elven High Mage here and there, plus a whole lot of elves (of all stripes, including sea elves, IMO), AND a whole lot of other races, each of them bringing their own magics and potentials with them. Once merged, the collective understanding of magic within the sharn increased and they were able to do things they'd normally never be able to do....like create a construct like the Sharn Wall. So, if elves were ever willing to share the knowledge of High Magic with gnomes and dwarves and centaurs, they might learn that there are other thoughts and other processes that other cultures know about that could work with their High Magic. But since many elves with High Magic see themselves as above all that and/or unwilling to share tel'quessir secrets, they don't get to learn about other races' secrets and magics.

Stray ideas--The above isn't to suggest that every race has its own version of High Magic. It's more that the Sharn Wall is the culmination of special tricks and a unique mixture of ideas and spells woven together by High Magic. With their new and unique perspectives, sharn could take dwarven rune magics and carve them inside the Sharn wall in three dimensions, creating entirely new runes never seen carved into rock before. Sharn could also take advantage of gnomish understandings of illusions and build very special, very sturdy illusions that served also to bulwark the Sharn Wall (and to delineate what they were would ruin the illusion, ja?).

Get the idea now? That's the true power of the Sharn, and some of that power got pulled into use in restoring Rhymanthiin. All Khelben and his assembly of wizards et al restored a 50 mile radius plot of the High Moor to health and they helped restore the original bodies/races/minds of many within the Sharn. It was the Sharn itself/themselves (using those same wizards et al as magical support and mental support ala supporters of High Magic) who created the city of Rhymanthiin with their unique magics.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  16:37:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

In response to your PM to me:
quote:

Hello. Hope I'm not too pushy here, but I had to ask.

By no means were you pushy, I am honored that you asked me!
quote:

Saw your posts in the FR reading section and I wondered what your thoughts and reactions were to Blackstaff (good and bad alike).

<snip>

Steven
who's getting nervous about Blackstaff Tower

Over all I really enjoyed the book. Being a cat person, I really enjoyed the amount of "screen time" Nameless got. I also really enjoyed the description of how apprenticeship in Blackstaff Tower works, and the introduction and development of the character of Tsarra. I found the way you used her connection with Khelben to give us a glimpse into his memories in a very Ed-like (it reminded me a bit of Elminster in Hell) manner. Now for the one semi-negative thing I have to say: I found the history of the Sharn illuminating, confusing, and hard to follow. Yes, I know that is a bit contradictory, but that is what it felt like. I really appreciated the above response you gave about the Sharn, because that helped clear most the questions I still had about them. While I am eagerly anticipating Blackstaff Tower, I would also be interested in a work about Sharn, perhaps dealing with their war against the Phaerimm (though with WotC pushing the 4e Realms and post-Spellplague novels, I am sad to say I doubt I will ever see it ).

Your friend,
Tim (A.K.A. Hawkins )

P.S. Is Blackstaff the book for which you actually went and visited Ed to get insights from him on the character?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 04 Apr 2008 16:41:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  20:38:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add my two cents in here, there were only two points of contention I had with the book (the rest was GOLDEN) -

The incredibly confusing history of the Sharn (which I believe Hawkins is also referring to). I wasn't able to follow that part too clearly (with all the 'flash-back' scenes mingling with 'real time'), and I think I may have to go back and read it a third time (just that part) to figure out who those people were (They seemed to be priests of a bunch of gods; which indicates to me that the Sharn's magic should be more along the lines of Divine, NOT Arcane). Maybe thats why they are so powerful - they blur the lines between different types of magic?

Not part of the novel, but it comes into play:
The Phaerimm are mentioned as nearly taking down the Sarrukh (who had to divert an entire sea to stop them) in primordial times, long before Elves came around. Also, they had some contention with the Imaskari! The Imaskari faired the best against them though, and were able to drive them off (to Netheril?). I'm wondering if the Spell Shenandra 'discovered' in Shadowtop Borough was the same one the Imaskari used to solve their 'Phaerimm Problem'.

So the Sharn have not been around nearly as long as the Phaerimm. I think that whatever the Sarrukh did, it drove the Phaerimm form the world for some time (otherwise, where were they between -33,800 DR, and around -8350 DR when the Imaskari created them). Yes, it specifically says Imaskar created the Phaerimm (Und pg. 9) - Its all very confusing...

Unless the Imaskar's method of dealing with their problem was to to send them back through time!

Which is probably why the Sharn do not encounter them until years later, even though both existed at the time Of Imaskar.

Who knows? Maybe the 'flood' only kept the Phaerimm busy while they cast their real magical solution - to put the Phaerimm in stasis for all eternity...

And of course, the Nethrease magics somehow weakened their 'prison', allowing them to trouble the world once again, and bringing them into conflict with the Sharn (or the stasis-magic could have just failed after 25,000 years or so). The weird part of that solution is that they would have been in stasis right through the time period of their own creation (and existed twice at the same point in time). Unless they were locked away in a demi-plane instead... in which case perhaps the Imaskari didn't so much 'create' them, as they did release them (temporarily), and then locked them back up in stasis or the demi-plane, whichever you prefer.

The Sharn Wall seemed to be the second least-effective means dealing with them (silly Sharn/Elves, and their near-useless High-magic), the first being Karsus's incredibly catastrophic blunder.

Anyhow, I went somewhat off-track with the Phaerimm there, but you see what I mean about the Sharn - Not so much them, but their 'enemies' that gives me 'canon headaches'.

I like the way you envision the Sharn's mind working - very alien, super-genius, and you know what they say - "there is a fine line between genius and insanity". It fits them well, and explains there sometimes-irrational behaviour. It also sounds a lot like Ed's take on the Aboleth's from the other thread - so many memories from so many different people, that it becomes a confusing blur, while at the same time providing insight into problems unsolvable by 'lesser beings'.

The second point of contention is the 'missing' Dark Elves... but I've beaten that dead horse in a few other threads...

I just can't seem to let it go... If there's an actual question somewhere in this mish-mosh, it would be "What happened to the Dark Elves of Miyeritar?"

On last thing before I shut the heck up:
You know... if you really want to solve all of this but still keep all the facts canon, you could always use the Sundering, which created two distinct Timelines for a period of about 20,000. In the original timeline, the Sarrukh created the Phaerimm, and solved their problem by casting a spell very similar to the Elves 'Sundering' Ritual, causing the Phaerimm to be 'erased' in their time, only to reappear in another time and place (which is how the Imaskari were able to create them a second time, years later).

Doctor Strange cast a similar magic when he saved the world from Kulan-Gath, and inadvertantly created Nimrod by changing time.

Lesson: If you mess with time, it comes back and bites you in the a__.

Maybe that 20,000 year slice of 'altered time' became it's own world... one called Abeir.

Which has also been used in comics before, when the Timetrapper did the same thing to create Superboy's 'Pocket universe'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  20:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM
[Over all I really enjoyed the book. Being a cat person, I really enjoyed the amount of "screen time" Nameless got.

Me too (though Steve already knows that).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  20:53:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I just can't seem to let it go... If there's an actual question somewhere in this mish-mosh, it would be "What happened to the Dark Elves of Miyeritar?"

The dark elves that were Sharn chose to remain Sharn, so as not to become drow.

I'm not Steve, but I think that answers your question...?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  21:13:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why? Is being a Sharn all that great?

I wouldn't want to look like that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  21:21:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was likely preferable to becoming a drow.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  23:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Exactly.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  00:44:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That might have mattered once, but I think lately there are more Drow in human towns then humans! Everywhere you turn lately, there are Drow on the surface, and some even holding positions of power.

Its not like it used to be - nowadays every major city probably has a 'Drizzt fan Club' in it. It seems like RAS (and his rabid fans) have made being Drow and desirable thing, not something to be ashamed of.

And 'Underdark Fever' is running rampant across the North.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Apr 2008 00:45:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  02:00:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

And, also, escaping certain death. As Steven Schend once said:- "I figure there's been a few who've been offered salvation from certain death by joining the sharn." He wasn't specifically referring to those of Miyeritar, but it may be possible that several of the elves of Miyeritar didn't embrace the idea of becoming drow, or looked upon the notion of death with distaste. And thus, instead chose the path to Sharn-hood [that's a word now! ].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  15:53:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I could've made a joke there...

but I won't...

Now, before I get myself in trouble, I should ask a question and get this back on topic -

Aside from Blackstaff Tower, are there any other products/novels you are working on currently, and if so, are they FR related?

Mod edit: Joke reference removed; it had too much potential for causing nastiness.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Apr 2008 16:45:01
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  17:05:05  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With books titled "Blackstaff" and Blackstaff Tower", I have but one question, How do I get the image of Drow porno out of my head? Thank you.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  21:10:02  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

I sent you an email via the forums, but wasn't real sure it went, so I'm gonna bug ya here too. I posted this in Eric Boyd's thread beacsue he authored the book, but would very much welcome you opinion on the matters Moonstar.

quote:
Eric,

In the Waterdeep, City of Splendors 3.5 book the Moonstar Prc lists stealthy and investigator as required feats. I think this is a bit too rogue/bard focused for the amount of spellcasters involved with the group and it goals/aims. While I agree both feats certainly assist in the group goals, could you perhaps provide an alternate feat for spellcasting member who achieves stealth & snooping via his spells rather than a feat that requires them to take CC skills?

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Jeiroth
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  10:39:29  Show Profile Send Jeiroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Schend,

I had posed this question to the Hooded one in an earlier topic, but after looking at Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves I noticed that you were the glorious author of that magnanimous pice of work.

Therefore I was wondering if you could possibly answer my question, which is:

The family crests/symbols of the Vyshaan and the Irythil. You astutely included ones for most of the rest of the elven noble families (thank you!) but unfortunately my campaign is also centering around Vyshaan, and Irythil. I wanted to make them somewhat authentic adventures, as such I wanted to get an explanation for their crests and include those on shields, doorways etc.

Thank you,
Go to Top of Page

Jeiroth
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  12:03:06  Show Profile Send Jeiroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I know this question has been asked, but it has never been answered completely.

Stats for High Lore Kiira such as the Nightstar?

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Ithil
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  18:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Ithil's Homepage Send Ithil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

As I get back into the latest Realms novels, I chose as my first one, Blackstaff. I've always respected your work as game designer and was happy to discover your excellent talent in writing novels! I especially appreciated the very detailed descriptions of magical items; you really made each item unique even if that item only appeared for a brief moment on the shelf.

I thought that the entire book was a giant treat to history buffs of the Realms. I felt very rewarded for the investment I have in the ancient past of the Realms by what you wrote, particularly about Miyeritar and the subsequent elven dominions.

You brought to my attention in the 4E FR Forum Topic that the happenings in the High Moor took place about 110 miles south of Loudwater. Since that is the site of the starting campaign in the new FRCG, I was wondering if you could extrapolate on the developments in the High Moor? Has the topography/fauna/flora of the entire area changed? Have the South Wood and Misty Forest expanded into the area? Have new settlements come in? Is the area safer?

Thank you for any insights.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  23:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeiroth

Also, I know this question has been asked, but it has never been answered completely.

Stats for High Lore Kiira such as the Nightstar?

Thanks again!

The standard stats for the high magic lore gems were all in Cormanthyr and/or Fall of Myth Drannor.

As the Nightstar was done by Rich Baker, it may have some differences, but I'd be loathe to stat it up without knowing a lot more about Rich's final plots with that.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  23:17:51  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just encountered the Character Name Generator and suggested it to my players on our site, but I'd like to know if you intend to add more professions and more adjectives? I kept getting similar results even when using different letters and professions, not that some of those adjectives weren't bad mo ... "I'm talkin' 'bout Shaft!" ....

(Insert appropriate emoticon here.)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 16 Apr 2008 23:20:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000