Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  06:51:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Hey Steven! Since you're now back, why aren't you joining in with the great lovefest that is the Blackstaff Book Club thread? I get warm and fuzzy feelings every time I browse through it.

So nice to be able to unequivocably love a Realms novel again.

Yes, I feel the same way.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  02:43:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Candlekeep has an elven dictionary in the traveler's lore/unofficial lore section. I have been copying it into my journal for later use, but I noticed many familiar words, even after reading Blackstaff. That might help. Cinna ebrath!

-Yeah, I know. I was the one who compiled it! Thanks though...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  02:53:57  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Ok, Mr. Schend. You've gotta lotta 'splainin' ta do!

-So, I finished Blackstaff, and it truly was one of the greatest Realmsian novels I've read. Thank you for penning that story down.

-Now, if you don't mind, could you dig out your notebooks and give me the translations for these Elven words/phrases. As I stated before, I have a fairly large Elven Dictionary (Which can be found here: www.angelfire.com/rpg2/dagnirion/elven.html), and I am always looking for new words to add in. Thanks in advance for whatever light you can provide. Alright, here we go:

Manth'elh'Ascalhorn
Maelathen (some kind of wine)
Manth'ehl'Malavar
Faer'tel'miir
Ol Ahnvae Sehanine
A'su'nys
Osi'nys
A'a'sum
Evae'n
Siilathaeraes
Kiiratel'Uvaeranni
Maornathil (Tsarra's Blade)
E'e'a'sum
Cor'Selu'Maraar'Miyertaari
Rymanthiin
N'vaerymanth
Sukarat
Sinaglar
Numil
Tuul
Edemp
A'layr
Perivaernikerym (Raegar's weapon)
Avael
Avaess
N'quel
N'sukarat'layr
Myth Akherynaar
Teless
Ivaakh
Osu'nys

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  11:39:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now we have an Author Profile for our esteemed Sage Schend:
Author Profile: Steven E. Schend

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  21:43:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something I saw in another thread made me wonder about this... Are you working on anything else WotC-related right now?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  22:53:53  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have several questions for you, Mr. Schend. (Mr. Anderson?)

First, however, I would say congrats on a wonderful book. I read other scribes glowing reviews and I can only add on to that.

The questions I have concern certain oaths/sayings that some characters have within the book. I am not sure if they are contained within already published lore, if you made them up, or are NDA, but here is what I am curious about:

On page 149, Khelben swears to Gamalon saying "Do you need me to pledge by the Nine who Remain, the Six Argent Guardians, or the Twelve Mysteries, among other things?"

Page 189, the Pentad say to Khelben, "We all take Oacenth's Vow and Dragmar's Promise to heart." I can figure out Oacenth's Vow, but Dragmar's Promise?

Page 222, when Khelben is leaving Blackstaff Tower, "Good luck, the speed of gods, the wishes of Those who Watch, and the Moon's Benison upon us all."

It seems that there was other sayings, also, but I didn't write them down.

thanks
Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367

Edited by - Mkhaiwati on 24 Jul 2006 22:55:54
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  01:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A benison is a blessing, so Khel was saying "Moon's (Selune's/Sehanine's) blessing".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  04:03:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And by the way, I'd still love to know if any of the "newly risen" mages on the High Moor are eligible bachelors. I have a certain lady mage/ex-apprentice of Khelben/Moonstar who's a single woman... She has asked me to play matchmaker for her.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 Jul 2006 04:04:04
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  05:13:09  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Schend, has it ever been revealed what caused the mass-deaths on the Whamite Isles? Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: oops, nevermind. A more careful reading of the excellent Sea of Fallen Stars book by Mr. Schend answered my question.

Edited by - RodOdom on 25 Jul 2006 05:15:18
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  14:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Ok, Mr. Schend. You've gotta lotta 'splainin' ta do!

-So, I finished Blackstaff, and it truly was one of the greatest Realmsian novels I've read. Thank you for penning that story down.

-Now, if you don't mind, could you dig out your notebooks and give me the translations for these Elven words/phrases. As I stated before, I have a fairly large Elven Dictionary (Which can be found here: www.angelfire.com/rpg2/dagnirion/elven.html), and I am always looking for new words to add in. Thanks in advance for whatever light you can provide. Alright, here we go:

Manth'elh'Ascalhorn

This should be "Manth'elh'nar Ascalhorn" but I forgot to tinker with it at 2nd draft. Manth'elh'nar means "place of pride's fall" and is associated with places that fell out of their own hubris (like Netheril, Ascalhorn, Malavar's Fall, etc.)

I deleted the rest of the list as most of them can be figured out with what's already out there for the elven glossary. (Yes, that's a challenge to ye Realms fans. ) Still, there's enough new things that I'll toss these notes your way:

Lore crystals of Uvaeren = Kiiratel’Uvaeranni

Elven name for sharn = fhaorn’quessir

ol ahnvae Sehanine.”( “on Sehanine’s Night.”) This is what the elves call the Feast of the Moon, after their own moon goddess.

Osu Father (parent O, male su) OH-soo
Osi Mother (parent O, female si) OH-see
U’osu Father of father, grandfather OO-oh-soo
I’osu Mother of father, grandmother EE-oh-soo
U’osi Father of mother, grandfather OO-oh-see
I’osi Mother of mother, grandmother EE-oh-see
Tan brother TANN
Nys sister NISS
Os’nys Aunt OHSSS-niss
osu’nys Aunt (sister of father) OH-SOO-niss
osi’nys Aunt (sister of mother) OH-SEE-niss)
Os’tan Uncle OHSS-tann
osu’tan Uncle (brother of father) OH-SOO-tann
osi’tan Uncle (brother of mother) OH-SEE-tann
Tyss(ir) cousin (either gender) TEES/TEESur
a’su’tan Niece (from brother) ah-SOO-tann,
a’su’nys Niece (from sister) ah-SOO-niss
e’su’tan Nephew (from brother) eh-SOO-tann,
e’su’nys Nephew (from sister) eh-SOO-niss

Sum Child SOOM
e’sum Son EH-soom
a’sum Daughter AH-soom
e’e’sum Grandson, “son of son” EH-EH-soom
e’a’sum Grandson, “son of daughter” EH-AH-soom
a’e’sum Granddaughter, “dtr of son” AH-EH-soom
a’a’sum Grandaughter, “dtr of dtr” AH-AH-soom

Lemme know if I've missed any other phrases you want translated. There are a few that don't have translations, and to do so would ruin some mysteries, but you won't know which ones until you ask.

Steven
PS: Apologies if the tab fields don't translate over for easier reading

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  15:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

I have several questions for you, Mr. Schend. (Mr. Anderson?)

First, however, I would say congrats on a wonderful book. I read other scribes glowing reviews and I can only add on to that.

The questions I have concern certain oaths/sayings that some characters have within the book. I am not sure if they are contained within already published lore, if you made them up, or are NDA, but here is what I am curious about:

On page 149, Khelben swears to Gamalon saying "Do you need me to pledge by the Nine who Remain, the Six Argent Guardians, or the Twelve Mysteries, among other things?"

Well, if I told you all about those things, there'd be no mysteries left to plumb, would there?

This was my touch of the hat brim to old faerie tales in how there were many more mysteries than ever defined or talked about. I wanted to lend an air of mystery there....and also one should never know everything about what wizards discuss. `tis not safe.

quote:

Page 189, the Pentad say to Khelben, "We all take Oacenth's Vow and Dragmar's Promise to heart." I can figure out Oacenth's Vow, but Dragmar's Promise?

Just like Oacenth, I figured I could easily slide in a dwarven leader's name who'd vowed to find ways to work together with the other races as well. Only thing else we know about Dragmar is that he was a high priest of Dumathoin and probably a leader in a long dead dwarven civilization between the times of Miyeritar and -300 DR.

quote:

Page 222, when Khelben is leaving Blackstaff Tower, "Good luck, the speed of gods, the wishes of Those who Watch, and the Moon's Benison upon us all."

It seems that there was other sayings, also, but I didn't write them down.

thanks
Mkhaiwati

Rinornalyrna answered that last one for you already; it was simply a grandiose way of saying "May the gods that are watching us now bless our work ahead." (and yes, many in that room knew that at least Mystra and Corellon and Sehanine were watching, if not Oghma and Dumathoin)

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  15:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

And by the way, I'd still love to know if any of the "newly risen" mages on the High Moor are eligible bachelors. I have a certain lady mage/ex-apprentice of Khelben/Moonstar who's a single woman... She has asked me to play matchmaker for her.

My dear Rinonalyrna (may I call you Lyrna for short), what wouldst thou prefer?

There are bachelors of the dwarven, centaur, gnomish, human, hin, and elvish (wood elf, moon elf, AND gold elf, but no star or dark elf) varieties wandering the streets. Thou hast a plethora of choices.

Steven
Who never got a chance to explain that centaurs made up the bulk of the scouts and sentinels and couriers of Miyeritar and they did have many herds that far north in those days....and there are at least three tribes/herds restored by the ritual

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  02:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

There are bachelors of the dwarven, centaur, gnomish, human, hin, and elvish (wood elf, moon elf, AND gold elf, but no star or dark elf) varieties wandering the streets. Thou hast a plethora of choices.

*grins* Yes, you may call me Lyrna--I like that! As for my character, she is a regal half wood-elf wizard, but also quite cosmopolitan (she is living in Waterdeep at the current time, to better do her duties as a Moonstar researcher), so I'd like to think she is a bit open-minded when it comes to potential mates. As for being with a centaur, though...hmmm, is that actually possible? I have to say I find it intriguing though!

How about Mentor Wintercloak? So what if he's old?

I also have a few questions about Khelben. Since he's been married several times before (not just to Laeral), does he consider his past wives to be his "soul mates" as much as Laeral? Is he the kind who believes you can have more than one soul mate? Also, after so many centuries, does he still carry the baggage of his youth (that is, being Nameless)? Is so, how come he didn't just get over it eventually? There's more to life than childhood baggage!

And were those lore crystals in Blackstaff inspired by the crystals in Superman (from the Fortress of Solitude)?

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 26 Jul 2006 02:14:49
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  07:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

*grins* Yes, you may call me Lyrna--I like that! As for my character, she is a regal half wood-elf wizard, but also quite cosmopolitan (she is living in Waterdeep at the current time, to better do her duties as a Moonstar researcher), so I'd like to think she is a bit open-minded when it comes to potential mates. As for being with a centaur, though...hmmm, is that actually possible? I have to say I find it intriguing though!

How about Mentor Wintercloak? So what if he's old?

That's entirely up to Mentor, now, isn't it?

quote:

I also have a few questions about Khelben. Since he's been married several times before (not just to Laeral), does he consider his past wives to be his "soul mates" as much as Laeral? Is he the kind who believes you can have more than one soul mate? Also, after so many centuries, does he still carry the baggage of his youth (that is, being Nameless)? Is so, how come he didn't just get over it eventually? There's more to life than childhood baggage!

He's been married more than a half-dozen times, and while he's loved each of his wives, Laeral has been his only soul mate and the only one to get his truename. And no--there's only one soul mate per lifetime, even when that lifetime is 910 years long.

He DID get over his baggage from childhood--that's what that exchange with the elves was about at the start of the ritual at the end of BLACKSTAFF. Apologies if you've not gotten that far yet....

quote:

And were those lore crystals in Blackstaff inspired by the crystals in Superman (from the Fortress of Solitude)?

Not really, though perhaps subconsciously. They first popped out of my head when writing Cormanthyr and putting the lore crystals of Uvaeren therein. I really just wanted something different for info storage and happened to see a prism with some scratches on it to give me the initial idea. No floating heads of Marlon Brando here....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  00:05:04  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love on the crystals of Uvaeren. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  00:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So if the elves have called the sharn, essentially, brothers (giving them an "X-Quessir" name), does that mean they knew/suspected their true identities and just happened to forget to mention this to the humans?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  01:20:41  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or chose not to, specifically. There's probably a lot about the Elves that we don't know...

(Just realized that what you said was probably a bit sarcastic. Cough, disregard me!)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 27 Jul 2006 01:21:13
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  01:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I was asking because I wasn't sure if Mentor was single, or whether or not he was interested in being with a lady...

quote:

He's been married more than a half-dozen times, and while he's loved each of his wives, Laeral has been his only soul mate and the only one to get his truename. And no--there's only one soul mate per lifetime, even when that lifetime is 910 years long.

Hmmm, if that's the case, how is being a "soul mate" different from "only" being loved? I asked if he had more than one soul mate, because in real life some people don't believe in the concept that there is just ONE person out there for you. Why is there only one soul mate per lifetime? And if Khelben knew for a long time that Laeral was his soul mate, then why did he choose to get married to other people in the long run? Isn't it cruel to marry someone (assuming it's meant as a "love marriage") knowing that you aren't going to give yourself to them fully?

If you can't do that, why get married?

quote:
He DID get over his baggage from childhood--that's what that exchange with the elves was about at the start of the ritual at the end of BLACKSTAFF. Apologies if you've not gotten that far yet....

Nah, I'm happy for the answer. The burdens that heroes carry, and let go of, always intrigue me.

quote:

Not really, though perhaps subconsciously. They first popped out of my head when writing Cormanthyr and putting the lore crystals of Uvaeren therein. I really just wanted something different for info storage and happened to see a prism with some scratches on it to give me the initial idea. No floating heads of Marlon Brando here....

Steven

Too bad. That part was cool.

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  01:58:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

So if the elves have called the sharn, essentially, brothers (giving them an "X-Quessir" name), does that mean they knew/suspected their true identities and just happened to forget to mention this to the humans?

No, actually. The SHARN called themselves collectively the fhaorn'quessir, as did a few elven researchers like Oacenth in hidden lore. This wasn't anything openly known beyond a few handfuls of people until the ritual.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  02:46:33  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just hand copied the Candlekeep Elven dictionary into my Realms Tome of all things that fascinate me. Now I have to update it!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh.... Ah well, it is always a pleasure to scribe some more lore from the master of Elven lore himself. Now if I only knew "thank you" in elven. Keep writing Steve!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  03:33:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "Bladesinger" novel by Keith Strohm has lots more elven language as well.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  03:36:44  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply.

Aluando thought it would be a good idea if I cross referenced my questions and answers in the book club discussion chapters, so I am going to do that.

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  04:34:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Steven, I know that you pointed out that there were a lot of casters involved at the end of Blackstaff, and it gives you a lot of leeway in those that could be included, but I was just wondering if you had any specific dwarven casters involved that "officially" participated in your mind?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2006 :  23:17:50  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just hand copied the Candlekeep Elven dictionary into my Realms Tome of all things that fascinate me. Now I have to update it!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh.... Ah well, it is always a pleasure to scribe some more lore from the master of Elven lore himself. Now if I only knew "thank you" in elven. Keep writing Steve!

-Don't worry. I am in the process of updating it, since I have a ton of things to add, including new Elven words, expressions, and now Names. Give it a few days, and it'll be all done for you. Lots of words from Blackstaff and Bladesinger are on the way!

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  12:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dagnirion! I am well on my well to fully using elvish in my DnD game. My fellow players are like what did you just say? And I am like, dude you only get to know if you speak elvish. Of course I eventually show them the words meaning but I am a haughty gold elf. I'm just role-playing.

I wonder who comes up with these words. Ed or Steve? Maybe both? Maybe the designers and novelists collectively?

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  13:05:56  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, I was asking because I wasn't sure if Mentor was single, or whether or not he was interested in being with a lady...

Oh, he'd be interested, though I suspect any eligible ladies may have to get in line behind the former apprentice of Halaster, with whom he was one of the 5 "fingers of Malavar." She's been rather attentive and close to him since the rising. Stiff competition, that lady Jhesiyra Kestellharp.

quote:
quote:

Hmmm, if that's the case, how is being a "soul mate" different from "only" being loved? I asked if he had more than one soul mate, because in real life some people don't believe in the concept that there is just ONE person out there for you. Why is there only one soul mate per lifetime? And if Khelben knew for a long time that Laeral was his soul mate, then why did he choose to get married to other people in the long run? Isn't it cruel to marry someone (assuming it's meant as a "love marriage") knowing that you aren't going to give yourself to them fully?

If you can't do that, why get married?

I'm just being very specific and I'm mirroring Khelben's attitude/words. He is a man who loves very deeply but rarely shows it on the surface. Likewise, Khelben doesn't bandy about the term soulmate idly, like a drunken bard seeking a rhyme--he's only referred to it with one person in 950 years, and here's why:

Only Laeral has learned Khelben's "truename"/"soulname" and that's what makes her his soulmate.

Khelben's very deeply loved his other wives (as evidenced by having three mourninglobes for them) and put his all (or what his "all" was at that time) into every marriage. That said, the love he and Laeral share is a factor beyond all that--partially because both are Chosen and thus have other equally great connections to other things AS WELL as their personal bonds.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  13:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Steven, I know that you pointed out that there were a lot of casters involved at the end of Blackstaff, and it gives you a lot of leeway in those that could be included, but I was just wondering if you had any specific dwarven casters involved that "officially" participated in your mind?

No specific dwarven casters popped to mind, but then, I'm Old School and tend to forget that dwarves are now privy to arcane magic. <shrug>

That said, there's probably more than a few dwarves who were part of the Sharn and are now individuals in Rhymanthiin who might possibly be equivalent to archmages due to the shared knowledge among the Sharn. What their names are I'll not guess at present; I'll leave it to others like Eric and George to suggest from which dwarven realms any sharn may have come to the merging and why.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  13:12:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Dagnirion! I am well on my well to fully using elvish in my DnD game. My fellow players are like what did you just say? And I am like, dude you only get to know if you speak elvish. Of course I eventually show them the words meaning but I am a haughty gold elf. I'm just role-playing.

I wonder who comes up with these words. Ed or Steve? Maybe both? Maybe the designers and novelists collectively?

We all do collectively, but there's not always communication among us. Thus, I have no idea what words Keith put into play with his elvish words in Bladesinger, nor do I know if they follow the loose grammatical structures I'd built in Cormanthyr based on Ed's and Elaine's previous elvish words (and a few of Professor Tolkien's).

If there are discrepancies or overlaps of words, that's always accorded to "dialectic differences" and left to player/GM choice as to which words and/or structures to use. It's all good.

Steven
who'll admit some of his elvish gets as tangled as draconic names

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  16:26:27  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thank you for your work in the Elven language. It is hard to come up with Elven words when greats like Tolkien and Greenwood do it so easily. Actually it was probably hard as heck. Tolkien studied different languages his whole life, and Greenwood probably took 20 years to get something together that was to his liking.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  05:53:28  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Steve, I was wondering...Does this mean that the Sharn no longer exist? Did ALL of the Sharn revert to what they were previously?

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000