Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2005 :  15:58:57  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scottish and red-headed... Oh dear, you did manage to keep from stumbling on your way out, at least, I hope?

To the moderators: See, I even managed to make it a question

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 22 Nov 2005 15:59:21
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  11:32:05  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

And William Hurt is Piergeiron, for those wondering.

Wow....I may never look at Piergeiron the same way....

Of course, now I'm envisioning Tom Berenger as Durnan (and/or Texter), Meg Tilly as Larissa, Kevin Kline as Caladorn, Glenn Close as Nymara, JoBeth Williams as Brianne, and Jeff Goldblum as Sammereza....

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  13:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:

And William Hurt is Piergeiron, for those wondering.

Wow....I may never look at Piergeiron the same way....

Of course, now I'm envisioning Tom Berenger as Durnan (and/or Texter), Meg Tilly as Larissa, Kevin Kline as Caladorn, Glenn Close as Nymara, JoBeth Williams as Brianne, and Jeff Goldblum as Sammereza....

Waterdeep does the Big Chill, huh? Loved that movie....

And if Glenn Close is anyone in the City of Splendors, I'd say she's probably best cast as Cassandra Thann, IMO. We'll see if Elaine agrees...

Brian Blessed is the only person who could properly play Mirt, as espoused by Ed himself.

And if we need to make these into questions, what the heck was I thinking when I started blithering about this?

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  13:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick ping/question to George Krashos:

What's going on down-under, George? I sent you some email a few days back but my mail server's been saying your email server is unreachable or somesuch technoblither.

Drop me a line or clear your email box, eh?

And whether or not anyone's American, I hope all y'all have a safe, happy, and hearty Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'm thankful for each and every one of you Realms fans out there, as both fellow fans and kindred souls who appreciate what Ed and others have created here.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  14:38:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What's going on down-under, George? I sent you some email a few days back but my mail server's been saying your email server is unreachable or somesuch technoblither.
I don't know what's happening in the City of Churches, but I've also been experiencing problems with receiving email from certain sites in the US.

Whatever it is, it seems to be affecting different parts of the country here.

Dargoth, have you had any problems receiving email from anywhere in the US?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Nov 2005 14:39:07
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  15:39:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I don't know what's happening in the City of Churches, but I've also been experiencing problems with receiving email from certain sites in the US.

Yeah the email that Gray wrote to us bounced back to me when I replied all to the two of you and it said that one of your addys had gone mental. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  15:53:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

George changed his email address. Drop me a line if you don't have the new one and he doesn't get to you first. <Insert scary music here.>

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  16:01:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

Yeah the email that Gray wrote to us bounced back to me when I replied all to the two of you and it said that one of your addys had gone mental. :)

Yes, the problem is definitely here in AUS. I've just received too emails from friends here and they're severely garbbled.

So the mental addy was most likely mine.

Hmmm...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  20:26:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

hmmm

Not that Ive noticed, Pazios newsletter got through today and I got a confirmation Email from Amazon.

Maybe its the service provider, Im with Australias answer to the Zhentarim (or Telstra if you prefer the less Melodramatic name)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  02:01:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Drop me a line or clear your email box, eh?

And whether or not anyone's American, I hope all y'all have a safe, happy, and hearty Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'm thankful for each and every one of you Realms fans out there, as both fellow fans and kindred souls who appreciate what Ed and others have created here.

Hey Steven

Don't blame me, blame the biggest telco in Australia that owns all the infrastructure and should have everything working perfectly ...

I had the same problem with Ed a while ago but it seems to be fixed now. Try again: address is akrashos@bigpond.net.au

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  21:57:18  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven- I just had to drop in and say that you got one of the best covers out there on 'Blackstaff', it really cuts into his primal spell casting fury, next to the Simbul he is probably the best mage dueler out of the chosen, and it really comes across.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2005 :  13:13:04  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Steven- I just had to drop in and say that you got one of the best covers out there on 'Blackstaff', it really cuts into his primal spell casting fury, next to the Simbul he is probably the best mage dueler out of the chosen, and it really comes across.

Thanks. I'm pretty excited about it too, even though I had little to do with the cover. Just the words inside.

Yeah, I agree that Khelben as a spell-dueler would be akin to playing a quick game of chess with Bobby Fisher; he's a thinker and he's got the duel all laid out before it even begins. As for seeing this in the novel...

[doors slam open and black-garbed men drag Steven bodily away from his computer, leaving behind only a card marked NDA]

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  16:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those on the WotC boards, I was scanning the discussion of Shoon VII and had only this to add, if someone (George? Kuje? Bueller? )could drop in this note....

As of the Time of Troubles, Shoon VII no longer qualifies as a demilich. He's fully alive in an elf-woman's body (so he's technically only male in his self-concept) and he's got all his intellectual and magical skills at whatever level I set him at.

I suppose if GMs wanted his aura/energy to come across as "male" as a tip-off / clue that something's up with Zallanora Argentresses, they could do interesting things with a True Seeing spell, especially as Shoon's focus and power is so overwhelming.

Poor Zallanora is indeed the first 3rd level demilich to exist. She's still got all the physical powers of a demilich, but only her 3 levels of experience with which to handle this. And that, ladies and germs, is why she almost instantly went insane upon the transfer.

Now, if ever there was a way (perhaps divine quest sent by the gods, like Azuth, who doesn't want his faithful to suffer) to discover exactly what went on, an interesting story/campaign might be to recover the Tome of the Unicorn, restore Zallanora's sanity, and perhaps find ways to manipulate that link between the book and Shoon in Z's body. I don't know if there's a way to restore their souls to their rightful places, but isn't that what epic spells are for? Heck, just by restoring her sanity and finding out what happened, she might suggest taking the book and her skull to any High Mages (and she's probably heard rumors there might be some in Shilmista or the High Forest, but like most, she assumes they're gone from Cormanthor) and have them perform some High Magic to restore her to her body and banish Shoon again.....which should be a quest not unlike trying to get a ring to a certain volcano, given that it's quite likely that Shoon has set up many defenses around the book, doesn't want anyone messing with it (let alone destroying it or him), and he's got a LOT of resources to throw at the heroes, even without ever revealing his hand directly....

Realize, however, there's a whole passel of "if's" in that suggestion above (on both sides of the coin). If you were to ask me, I'd tell you Shoon VII is going to be a major player/villain/sore under the saddle for many many decades to come, given that his body is barely out of elven adolesence. One thing he might possibly do (just for his own comfort level) is to scare up a girdle of gender-changing and become a male again (but couch it so it's taken as an accident that's accepted by the soon-to-be Zallan of Shoonach....but this is all unofficial meandering on my part.

Again, just a stray thought on a Saturday morning....

Edited by - Steven Schend on 10 Dec 2005 16:58:24
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  16:55:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I swung by there and dropped off your note Steven.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  17:28:02  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I swung by there and dropped off your note Steven.

Thanks much, ye gentleman and scholar true.

SES

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  17:54:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We live to serve . . . and diseminate as much information as possible. Plus it gave me a chance to plug Blackstaff couched in the reply, so as not to be "discussing" novels . . .
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  18:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
As of the Time of Troubles, Shoon VII no longer qualifies as a demilich. He's fully alive in an elf-woman's body (so he's technically only male in his self-concept) and he's got all his intellectual and magical skills at whatever level I set him at.

I'm going to get a bit technical here in hopes of offering some tips on how to deal with Shoon's gender identity problems. Yes, Shoon would have a male gender identity. He's suffering from something called gender dysphoria most of the time, which is essentially the rather depressing feeling that his body and mind don't match up sex/gender-wise.

quote:
I suppose if GMs wanted his aura/energy to come across as "male" as a tip-off / clue that something's up with Zallanora Argentresses, they could do interesting things with a True Seeing spell, especially as Shoon's focus and power is so overwhelming.

Actually, Shoon himself just might tell you-or a Sense Motive check might be appropriate. Let me explain.

Shoon's some millenia old, and he's the extremely powerful former wizard-king of an empire. He's probably rather arrogant, and he's just come back into possession of a mortal form. If you play Shoon as arrogant, then he's very likely to regard himself as the center of attention in any situation, and he's going to think of himself as having been burdened by his female body, and he'll try to be as overtly masculine as he can. He'll proclaim loud and clear that he's male, and probably respond to anyone who tries to say otherwise with physical or magical force-he takes those sort of comments right to the heart, so to speak. Even if for some reason, he's trying to hide his gender identity, I'd actually make him make Disguise checks to do it-he's picked up a lot of habits over his years that don't fit his new form, and those could tip careful observers off.

quote:
One thing he might possibly do (just for his own comfort level) is to scare up a girdle of gender-changing and become a male again (but couch it so it's taken as an accident that's accepted by the soon-to-be Zallan of Shoonach....but this is all unofficial meandering on my part.

He'll definitely be doing this-and Steven nailed the reason perfectly. Actually, until he's found one, it'll likely be his first priority/Holy Grail, so to speak-he'll drop most everything else for it.

There's my 2 cents of first-hand commentary on the situation. I think it's an interesting concept, and I'd love to see a campaign/adventure done around it, but I don't want to either play in or run it. Oh, and I forgot one thing-ruleswise, Shoon is male, I think-it's buried in Races of Eberron and I don't have that at hand to check right now.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2005 :  21:54:06  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting thoughts on Shoon, Arivia.

Can't say they mesh 100% with my vision/ideas for him/it/her, as he's surprisingly not arrogant. He's a chessplayer type like Khelben who plays things beneath the vest, not just close to it.

More likely, he'd do the gender change thing if/when his identity as Zallanora got compromised, if she became too noticeable, and/or if something slips and he has to change identities. Despite his longtime hatred of elves, he's very surprised to find out how useful it is to have an elf's body.

So, unless he has to blow up a large chunk of Esmeltaran to preserve his secrecy/identity (or simply kill more than 20 people to do the same), he'll probably hide out as Zallanora for a few more years yet.

All that said, he's been known to weave illusions of high level around him/herself to appear as any number of former Shoon court members--but NEVER as himself, even if the only person who'd recognize him immediately would be Iryklathagra--to manipulate and control information and magic beyond what would be normal for Zalla to know/be involved in.....

Making this clear as mud, aren't I?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  03:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can't say they mesh 100% with my vision/ideas for him/it/her, as he's surprisingly not arrogant. He's a chessplayer type like Khelben who plays things beneath the vest, not just close to it.

More likely, he'd do the gender change thing if/when his identity as Zallanora got compromised, if she became too noticeable, and/or if something slips and he has to change identities. Despite his longtime hatred of elves, he's very surprised to find out how useful it is to have an elf's body.

So, unless he has to blow up a large chunk of Esmeltaran to preserve his secrecy/identity (or simply kill more than 20 people to do the same), he'll probably hide out as Zallanora for a few more years yet.

All that said, he's been known to weave illusions of high level around him/herself to appear as any number of former Shoon court members--but NEVER as himself, even if the only person who'd recognize him immediately would be Iryklathagra--to manipulate and control information and magic beyond what would be normal for Zalla to know/be involved in.....

Ah well, in that case, I completely misread Shoon and ignore the majority of my above post. I'll do some more thinking on the subject when I'm not completely asleep, and post the results.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  03:35:28  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question that goes back to the "Cormanthyr:Empires of Elves" that you helped to write.

You talk about the Tsornyl clan of moon elves and how they were attacked by Moander. It was hinted that they either died or were turned into rotting creatures. My questions are:

1)Did any of that clan get rescued?
2)Were there any relatives that did not live in the small village? It said that in -85 most of the 70 member clan moved there. But it is possible members married into other clans and pregnant woman could have headed to Semberholme.

I just want to see if any member of the clan still exist in some form. I want to know for possible back ground for elven/half-elven characters who might be interested in Finder Wyvernspur (An obession of mine). As this clan was art inclined (Poets, Singers and Musicians), plus they would likely hold a grudge against Moander.

I could see them being favourly inclinded to Moander's slay and/or a nature linked bard. Or using him as a stalking horse to make sure the Darkbringer is dead and remains that way. Either way they would have an interest in this godling, if only for their own purposes.

Just curious. Thanks.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  13:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I have a question that goes back to the "Cormanthyr:Empires of Elves" that you helped to write.

You talk about the Tsornyl clan of moon elves and how they were attacked by Moander. It was hinted that they either died or were turned into rotting creatures. My questions are:

1)Did any of that clan get rescued?
2)Were there any relatives that did not live in the small village? It said that in -85 most of the 70 member clan moved there. But it is possible members married into other clans and pregnant woman could have headed to Semberholme.

I just want to see if any member of the clan still exist in some form. I want to know for possible back ground for elven/half-elven characters who might be interested in Finder Wyvernspur (An obession of mine). As this clan was art inclined (Poets, Singers and Musicians), plus they would likely hold a grudge against Moander.

I could see them being favourly inclinded to Moander's slay and/or a nature linked bard. Or using him as a stalking horse to make sure the Darkbringer is dead and remains that way. Either way they would have an interest in this godling, if only for their own purposes.

Just curious. Thanks.

Bear in mind you're asking me questions on things I wrote nearly 10 years ago, so the memory's fuzzy....

1) Sure--as many survived as your campaign needs/wants. This is the answer I always try and give, unless I've a really good reason to shut the door on future developments (a trick I learned from Ed).

Remember that my answers here are not to be considered official canon--just my opinions and natter.

2) Absolutely. The "Most of..." gives you as the GM the wiggle-room to justify whatever plot twists you wish into your game.

I love the idea of their being linked to Moander and Finder (and perhaps even Oghma, the traditional god of bards).

Then again, why not create something new--a cult/religion of a new goddess who is allegedly the daughter of Lurue and Silvanus (or Fenmaril Mestarine) who is worshiped by bards and rangers and half-elves as a protector against the corruption of woodlands specifically? She's a protector of both health and beauty, two things that make woodlands special in her eyes.

Steven
Just stirrin' the pot a little....

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  13:54:35  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Ah well, in that case, I completely misread Shoon and ignore the majority of my above post. I'll do some more thinking on the subject when I'm not completely asleep, and post the results.

Hey--I'm just stating my opinions here, Arivia. Don't let me shut down your thoughts on Shoon, as I found them fascinating.

I've pondered a bit on Shoon and what to do with him/her/it, but my view of him and how best to use him isn't the only way. It's just what I'd like to do if ever given a chance to work him up in a novel. Granted, with the level of thought I've put to him, Zallanora would come off a bit too much like Joan Collins.....

Seriously, I just want to toss the brainstorm ball around and see what rattles loose that'll work for all of us. Just because I state an opinion doesn't mean it takes precedence over any one else's opinions here.

To keep the ball in the air, here's my question to the assembled--What do you see when you think of Shoonach? What do you expect, if a story were to be set there?

Me, I see something the size of Imperial Rome with more of a Cairo/Athens feel to it--a huge expanse of miles far more silent than it should be, yet still more active than you'd expect. I see roaming bands of gnolls fighting to control the grasslands around the edges, the curst legions of Tethyrians trying to keep the military / forge city out of the hands of other intelligent undead, and a growing number of undead starting to more openly (or at least aggressively) keep the Imperial Mount off limits to anyone save their master/mistress, whether (s)he is there or not.

Imagine, if you will, the medieval equivalent of Cheyenne Mountain with magical weapons storehouses buried away where only one living (and maybe 4 nonliving) sentient beings know what may lie there....

Getting a girdle of gender-changing is no big deal for Shoon--nearly any nonartifact (and more than a few that are that level) magical item is stored away and at his disposal under Shoonach. He's the only nondraconic being to have amassed more magical items than Khelben or Manshoon....and he's not sharing them, unllike the other two.....

Well, I hope that keeps the floodgates of discussion open (and help me conjure up some new ideas in hopes of getting another novel to write in the Realms....).

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  14:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hey--I'm just stating my opinions here, Arivia. Don't let me shut down your thoughts on Shoon, as I found them fascinating.

Oh, no, I'm not going to-it's just that I did make a major error in reading him, and I want to think and adjust for that, then I'll post more.

I should have something tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  23:30:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

Question. When you detailed Calimshan, Amn, and Tethyr did you base your research and material on RL counterparts or, like Ed, did you base it on FR material and probably some of Ed's notes and those nations shouldn't reflect RL counterparts?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  00:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I've pondered a bit on Shoon and what to do with him/her/it, but my view of him and how best to use him isn't the only way. It's just what I'd like to do if ever given a chance to work him up in a novel. Granted, with the level of thought I've put to him, Zallanora would come off a bit too much like Joan Collins.....

(snip)

Me, I see something the size of Imperial Rome with more of a Cairo/Athens feel to it--a huge expanse of miles far more silent than it should be, yet still more active than you'd expect. I see roaming bands of gnolls fighting to control the grasslands around the edges, the curst legions of Tethyrians trying to keep the military / forge city out of the hands of other intelligent undead, and a growing number of undead starting to more openly (or at least aggressively) keep the Imperial Mount off limits to anyone save their master/mistress, whether (s)he is there or not.

Imagine, if you will, the medieval equivalent of Cheyenne Mountain with magical weapons storehouses buried away where only one living (and maybe 4 nonliving) sentient beings know what may lie there....

Getting a girdle of gender-changing is no big deal for Shoon--nearly any nonartifact (and more than a few that are that level) magical item is stored away and at his disposal under Shoonach. He's the only nondraconic being to have amassed more magical items than Khelben or Manshoon....and he's not sharing them, unllike the other two.....

Well, I hope that keeps the floodgates of discussion open (and help me conjure up some new ideas in hopes of getting another novel to write in the Realms....).

Steven

Some lovely writing there, Steven!

If Roy Greenhilt (http://www.giantitp.com/ootsChars.html) can get a girdle of gender-change, why shouldn't Shoon?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  14:00:44  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Steven,

Question. When you detailed Calimshan, Amn, and Tethyr did you base your research and material on RL counterparts or, like Ed, did you base it on FR material and probably some of Ed's notes and those nations shouldn't reflect RL counterparts?

Little of both, actually.

On Tethyr, there was more than enough material already--I just had to weave the disparate and conflicting pieces together and add touches of Scotland and Spain to accomodate a bit more feel/mood/context. For Tethyr (and Amn equally) I kept Moorish Spain in the back of my head as per an older religion/culture leaving behind its architecture and stuff but being thrown over by new ideas and independence.

On Amn, believe it or not, it's an amalgamation of what was there already plus a lot of the Godfather (in terms of family, business, loyalties, and honor debts). I also made sure there were distinct differences between the money-grubbers of Amn and the same down in Calimshan.

On Calimshan, that had much more of a mark of pre-established culture and feel as pseudo-Arabian culture. However, as by the time I was writing LOI/EoSS we had Al-Qadim and the Bedine of Troy's Harper books, I decided to retain what I had to and spin the rest of Calishite culture into a mix of whatever my head provided and ancient Turkey (hence the Mamluks/Mameluks, pashas, the Qayadin, etc.). I didn't make it a direct or straight copy but kept it mixed enough to fit the Realms yet still have a familiar touch (and provide GMs with picture books of old Turkish towns to use as a visual touchstone).

Granted, I'd prefer to not use RL stuff to drop into the Realms, but given the time constraints and what had already been established in the Realms at that time, I did what I needed to make it distinct, feasible in Faerun, and yet sensible and familiar in feel for those who are more comfortable with RL touchstones.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  01:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, finally clear enough to get to this...

quote:

I sort of disagree-I think it's probably what he's intending to do, but the distraction of it all might just be too much for him. Actually, I could see him going along with it but grabbing a belt of gender change to use every once in awhile(removing it by casting remove curse) so he can concentrate and act as Zallanora more adeptly. He might even be mentally/emotionally dependant/addicted to it, which would certainly be an interesting quality for him.

quote:

Oo, interesting-you've definitely piqued my interest, Steven. Do you have any idea who any of these members might be?

quote:

But that's a good thing-it allows the DM more freedom...

quote:
To keep the ball in the air, here's my question to the assembled--What do you see when you think of Shoonach?

A massive ruined city, worn clean by the sands and time. Drifts of sand and debris fill the streets and plazas, while under the arch of what used to be an entrance to a noble's palace, an adventurer waits for their companion to return with waterskins filled from the clear yet shallow River Agis(which has changed it's course slightly over the years- a smooth city street being a better avenue than the riverbed itself in parts). Upon her companion's return, she lifts one of the waterskins to drink, takes a drink, and then puts it down quickly. Smiling, she reveals a shining gold coin in her teeth, having been picked up by the river...
quote:
What do you expect, if a story were to be set there?

With all respects, I've never found the parts of Realms stories that have delved into ruins or other "dungeon" sites that interesting-a story is sort of bogged down in encounters in that point. I'd much rather see an supplement on it, offering an overview of the city, its inhabitants, and special sites, and a few adventures set within.

EDIT: Steven: *poke*

Edited by - Arivia on 19 Dec 2005 01:48:00
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  05:17:32  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
I sort of disagree-I think it's probably what he's intending to do, but the distraction of it all might just be too much for him. Actually, I could see him going along with it but grabbing a belt of gender change to use every once in awhile(removing it by casting remove curse) so he can concentrate and act as Zallanora more adeptly. He might even be mentally/emotionally dependant/addicted to it, which would certainly be an interesting quality for him.

Not to break into the conversation or anything, but I think you're wither underestimating Shoon's ability to concentrate or overestimating the effects of female elven hormones on his ability to achieve his goals. It's not like he's going to freak out when he has his first period, as much as he knows about everything else I'm sure he knew about that well before lichdom and demilichdom. Besides, he's certainly not the kind of guy who would be all "Eek! my manhood is gone and now I'm a emotional girl who wants chocolates all the time!" Being a lich, and particularly being a demilich for very long pretty much precludes one having too much attachment to their phenotypical sex. Let's face it, when you're undead you haven't got any sex drive to begin with, and all sorts of bits and pieces (yes, even those bits and pieces) are going to decay and shrivel up. Since you've got no brains or vital organs producing what brains or vital organs produce, but instead are essentially an intellect housed in a crumbling shell powered by negative energy, even if all the fleshly equipment was in working order you wouldn't really care much anyone.

Going from no hormones to female hormones wouldn't throw him through a loop like it would going straight from male to female. He'll probably also be expecting changes in mood and such associated with the new mix of hormones he'd be experiencing (who knew I'd end my day talking about Shoon VII's hormones...) because even if he didn't have a modern scientific understanding of body chemisty and so on he'd probably have a reasonable grasp on the concept that more'n the plumbing is different.

Then there's the matter of preperation. The sort of planning that goes into becoming a lich, not to mention all the other things Shoon's done, is mind-boggling. If he could handle all of that I'd doubt that something as simple as estrogen or menstruation would get more than a raised eyebrow out of him. Emotion may be mostly chemical, but Shoon VII had a long time to learn how to manage his emotions while he was mortal and even if he was a little bit rusty he'd probably get things all under control before his first tenday in his new body was over.

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  00:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Empires of the Sands there is (very disappointing!) directive to consult Lands of Intrigue and Calimport for recent news of Shoon VII's doings. The only reference I could find in Calimport was a brief note that he was a Cowled Wizard and was searching for _____ . Are there other references to him in that book? Anyone?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  20:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Shoon going through the gender blender: Well, unless I'm suddenly contracted to write a Shoon novel, my thoughts on this are strictly academic and/or idea generators for y'all. You've got a highly different and distinct take on it that's fascinating and great for many, many campaign ideas. I just happen to disagree (for my own personal take on Shoon, which falls more toward the `he'll use any weapon in his arsenal, whether it's a spell or sexual allure, to get what he wants' school).

To really muddy the waters, who's to say he'd not done the gender-shift thing back in the days while alive both to try it out and as a disguise by which he could spy on his own courtiers? Come to think of it, that'd be a really cool fantasy trope to look at--a male ruler who changes into a female in order to guarantee/be 100% certain that his/her heir was his/hers. How's that for a disturbing take on that particular item in issue?

Re: illusionary courtiers.....`fraid I have no names or faces at present. Chime me on this in the new year and maybe we'll be able to generate a few building off of common names salted around Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan. Think of this idea as a wide-open door for GMs to link their campaign NPCs to a greater plot, a wider history, and still not be stuck. In other words, torment PCs with one villain, have him killed numerous times (and Shoon keeps bringing him back or posing as him illusorally), and he's still going.....

LOVED that image you wove of the River Agis...and it's a good idea that the river itself might actually scour out smallish items from the catacombs beneath the Mount and wash them into the river. By the by, Shoon does have animated skelteons and sea zombies patrolling the river bed to prevent treasure seekers from stealing "his" stuff....and it seems they're frantically seeking out something between the size of a dagger and a bracelet (as they ignore rings and coins and things larger than short swords)....just FYI.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000