Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Downloading Slow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  10:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has any experienced a slow page download on the forums recently? It seems to affect me in stages, other times I have no problems but then all of a sudden pages download really slowly (between 40secs to 1 min not that I've been timing it). And no I don't have dial-up connection, gave it up for ADSL.

Is there a problem with the server Alaundo? Coz I'm not a very patient person and next time it starts to happen I think there'd be a skeleton sitting infront of the pc who strangled herself out of frustration.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  11:00:12  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

::chuckle::

Apologies for the inconvenience, Lina. If thou art refering to slow response times this morn, then I would certainly put that down to being Sunday. Sunday morning is the time when we have heavy backups and server maintenance tasks scheduled, which will, unfortunately, have an impact on the overall speed.

Bear in mind also that we have recently released a number of new articles as part of the latest site update, and therefore many new downloads are occuring.

However, I do have some good news.... the Candlekeep connection speed will be DOUBLED over the next month or two. I don't have a precise date as yet, but those scrolls and tomes should get to thy desk as lot quicker soon

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 09 Jan 2005 11:01:33
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  11:04:34  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't think it's a problem on our end, Lina. That is, because I haven't experienced any problems either.

Perhaps Alaundo will now more.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  11:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And indeed he does.

I always knew I was a slow typer . . . but I didn't think I was that slow.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 09 Jan 2005 11:08:01
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  14:58:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

Has any experienced a slow page download on the forums recently?

Yes, usually once a day I'll encounter things just going to a crawl.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  16:56:40  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Has any experienced a slow page download on the forums recently?

Yes, usually once a day I'll encounter things just going to a crawl.

Well met

Hmmmm, it would be interesting to pin this down. In addition to the weekly server backup, there is a scheduled DAILY backup which runs for Candlekeep. If anyone wishes to email me the moment they get significantly bad response times, then I can attempt to see if the two are related.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  01:44:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

However, I do have some good news....

Did you just save a ton of money by switching your car insurance?

*ducks the many incoming projectiles* Hey, I hate those commercials, too! But I couldn't help it...

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

the Candlekeep connection speed will be DOUBLED over the next month or two. I don't have a precise date as yet, but those scrolls and tomes should get to thy desk as lot quicker soon

That's cool... Even on DSL, sometimes it takes Candlekeep pages a while to load...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  05:47:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Did you just save a ton of money by switching your car insurance?

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  06:18:03  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's cool... Even on DSL, sometimes it takes Candlekeep pages a while to load...

That has more to do with the server you're connected to, rather than the server Candlekeep is using.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  13:37:36  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

That has more to do with the server you're connected to, rather than the server Candlekeep is using.

I'm positively sure that it was the candlekeep server than the net connection server as during those times where there was a serious lag, the candlekeep pages were the only ones affected.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  14:19:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm positively sure that it was the candlekeep server than the net connection server as during those times where there was a serious lag, the candlekeep pages were the only ones affected.

Same here, although I was waiting for the "it was your server" comment. Next, it will be your computer, and eventually Lina, it will just be you that's to blame. Which is one of the reasons why until you mentioned the problem, I didn't say anything.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  14:56:52  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Same here, although I was waiting for the "it was your server" comment. Next, it will be your computer, and eventually Lina, it will just be you that's to blame. Which is one of the reasons why until you mentioned the problem, I didn't say anything.

Sorry about that, Lina. At the time, I was probably assuming a little too much with regard to your problem. I forget sometimes, that the internet connection I'm working on, is a little different to what most people use. It's why I didn't experience the same type of problem.

Sirius is right though, I should not have jumped to that conclusion.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  00:11:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and it's happened to me from different computers... Also, I've observed the same phenomenon Lina has, with the Candlekeep pages loading slowly, and everything else loading quickly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  11:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's ok guys. No harm done (to my pride).

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000