Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Wealth in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShayneT
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  01:05:15  Show Profile  Visit ShayneT's Homepage Send ShayneT a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a question for Ed.

There have been references to vast sums of money changing hands in Amn and Durpar- two million gold for a shipload of silks, and in the latest book "The Shining South" it is said that the merchant Jeradeem Seltarir purchased the throne of Estagund from the king in 1026 DR.

I also seem to recall one Realms novel in which Mirt the moneylender made a ten million gold piece loan to a crime lord after the goddess Tymora's abilities went awry.

Given this, and recognizing that most of a businessman's assets will be in land and property rather than coin and jewels....just how wealthy are the ultra-rich in Faerun?

How much money would an average noble family be worth in Waterdeep, for example?

Given that some D20 modern sources have said that a gold piece is worth about $20, I thought that the richest man in Faerun might be worth fifty million gold or so. Given the difficulties in communication and transportation, I'd imagine that the accumulation of wealth would be somewhat more difficult than it is in the USA, especially with all the cultists, orcs, raiders, bandits, drow, competing businessmen and thieves that are out to raid the next merchant ship or caravan. Would fifty million be a reasonable guess, or am I somehow off by an order of magnitude?

Thanks.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  01:36:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you might have tried to ask Ed, in novel section to get quicker notice of The Hooded One, I can offer a few posible (though certainly not official) answers.

The purchases you refer to are power center ones.

The merchant guild collecticely purchased that ship of silk.
The purchase of a throne might not have cost that much if it was for sale and dispite what price was paid there was an organization (collective wealth of more then one) to enforce the claim to the throne.
The 10 million loan, becomes a little harder to explain, however perhaps as a banker had funds of others besides own personal funds.

[quote]
How much money would an average noble family be worth in Waterdeep, for example?
[/unquote]

The average would have wealth as per the core rules (depends on level), how much in estates and goods up to them. Not willing to guess at how much the specials would have.

[quote] Would fifty million be a reasonable guess, or am I somehow off by an order of magnitude? [/unquote]

It depends on how you count the wealth. An Over Lord could in fact control the wealth of all of the nation controled. The Lords of Waterdeep have direct or indirect control of much of its wealth. Not saying the Lords actually have possesion of that wealth. I can picture eay the control of over 2 million gold by one person (that based on 70,000 subjects with wealth of 300 gold each, not counting personal wealth gathered over the years by the Over Lord).

Edited by - Kentinal on 07 Jan 2005 01:38:49
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  02:43:28  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, ShayneT, not every nobleman's wealth is literally in gold pieces. While one may have a fortune worth 2 million gold pieces, it could be the value of gems, artifacts, artworks, etc.

After all, it's hard enough to transport paper money today, let alone the tremendous amount of gold that you mentioned in your posts.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  02:58:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel you refer to, where Mirt made that insanely large loan, was Tymora's Luck. 'Tis one of my personal faves.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  06:00:24  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, perhaps you could reveal more about this "loan" that Mirt made? It's an outrageous sum of gold to be lending to someone else, even if he is a "moneylender". I haven't read Tymora's Luck, and I don't think it's likely I could get hold of a copy either...

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  06:10:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The novel you refer to, where Mirt made that insanely large loan, was Tymora's Luck. 'Tis one of my personal faves.

How much of the novel is the famous moneylender in?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  06:21:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

How much of the novel is the famous moneylender in?

Very little. Most of the action happens in the planes, as the tale follows Jasmine (the winged girl from the comics), Jedidiah, Emilo (a kender!), Joel, and Holly on their quest. There are various interludes that show what's going on in the Realms as everything is happening. Some of the interludes feature the Wyvernspur children, other show other parts of the Realms -- and it was one of these latter parts where Mirt popped up. I want to say Volo was in one of the interludes, too, but I won't swear to it.

Oh, and various Realms deities also are characters in the book. If you've not read Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck, then I heartily recommend both.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  06:27:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh, and various Realms deities also are characters in the book. If you've not read Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck, then I heartily recommend both.

If you are recommending them, I might have to take a look. Thank you WR. Who is the author for them?
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  06:57:38  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you are recommending them, I might have to take a look. Thank you WR. Who is the author for them?

Not WR, but the authors of those books are Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  11:24:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:

Indeed. The duo of Novak and Grubb are among my fave Realms writers. Jeff Grubb was also on the comics team, so that's why he used comic characters in the novels (Tertius Wands from the AD&D comic appeared in a couple of anthologies).

Besides, who better to write about a couple of priests of Finder?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  16:42:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Thank you Winterfox.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000