Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Elven Realms of Fearie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2005 :  20:05:41  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello I have read the grand timeline of the relams and it mentioned Tintageer wich sparked my memory. I was told it was an elven kingdom on Faerie but I was wondering if ther were any other elven kingdoms in it's tim and if there are any online sources that have info on it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2005 :  20:20:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

Hello I have read the grand timeline of the relams and it mentioned Tintageer wich sparked my memory. I was told it was an elven kingdom on Faerie but I was wondering if ther were any other elven kingdoms in it's tim and if there are any online sources that have info on it.

The only time I recall Tintageer being mentioned was at the opening of Evermeet: Island of Elves. Details there were sketchy at best.
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2005 :  20:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it isi'nt a history book but it's something thanks for the info. But uhmm is ther ANYWHERE that details the land of Fearie nad wahts actually htere cause all I know is the elves come from and it seems to be like another world or plane of somesort.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2005 :  20:45:34  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2373#42542

Offers: "last elven city of the elven realm of Faerie. It was from Faerie (according to this novel) that the gold and moon elves of Faerun came from. The green elves, dark elves, lythari and avariel were already on Faerun."

By implication other Elven kingdoms existed even if just of the other subtypes of elves.
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2005 :  03:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thnks for th link and such as well as the new knowledge,But it opens up a new qwestion where did the other elven subraces comefrom. If not from Faerie where because Races of Faerun mentions that they came in diffrent waves to settle Fearun.It mentions they came form that realm.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2005 :  06:17:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

Well thnks for th link and such as well as the new knowledge,But it opens up a new qwestion where did the other elven subraces comefrom. If not from Faerie where because Races of Faerun mentions that they came in diffrent waves to settle Fearun.It mentions they came form that realm.

They prolly came in different waves... The other elven races came first, settled down, got happy, and then had to deal with these new elves from the old country...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Jan 2005 06:18:34
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2005 :  10:51:21  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Information Presented in Races of Faerun page 27

1st Wave:
The first elves to arrive were the Sy-tel-quessir (Green Elves), the Ly-tel-quessir (Lythari), and the Aril-tel-quessir (Avariel). Of these original three races, only the Green Elves, now known as Wild Elves, survive in any number. The Avariel are nearly extinct now, having fought many terrirble wars with the Dragons of the ancient world. The Lythari have changed so far from their elven roots that they are regarded by most Faerunian scholars as a separate race from the Tel-quessir.

2nd Wave:
The second wave of Elves to travel to Faerun included the Ssri-tel-quessir (destined to become the Drow). They were the most successful, emerging from the southern jungles of Faerun and quickly establishing grand empires in their new home. At the same time, the Ar-tel-quessir (Sun Elves) and the Teu-tel-quessir (Moon Elves) arrived to the north. The Alu-tel-quessir (Aquatic Elves) appeared in the Great Sea not long after. The martial strength and magical prowess of the peoples in this second wave of elven immigrants brought the Time of Dragons to a close.

After this is goes on about the different nations and civiliations formed by the elves.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document

Edited by - warlockco on 02 Jan 2005 10:53:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2005 :  15:35:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes. When all else fails, consult the lore books.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  03:13:28  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ah, yes. When all else fails, consult the lore books.

Does help sometimes, until you get one or more sources that conflict, then you get a big headache.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  04:33:16  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realm of Faerie is a parallel world that (as the books put it) "exists for only one, long day."

Basically, it is the homeworld for all elves and fey creatures, where (again, according to my sources) it is currently mid-afternoon, telling us that it has passed the halfway point in it's long day and is currently in decline. This is why all these races are coming into the world, preparing for the eventual (in the next few millennia or so) demise of Faerie.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  05:55:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

The Realm of Faerie is a parallel world that (as the books put it) "exists for only one, long day."

Basically, it is the homeworld for all elves and fey creatures, where (again, according to my sources) it is currently mid-afternoon, telling us that it has passed the halfway point in it's long day and is currently in decline. This is why all these races are coming into the world, preparing for the eventual (in the next few millennia or so) demise of Faerie.

...And that one day is obviously the Monday after a three-day weekend.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  23:52:32  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

...And that one day is obviously the Monday after a three-day weekend.

OUCH!

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  02:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okwy that clears things up except one thing is Faerie another plane a diffent world in a diffrent crystal sphere or something else entirely. Anyway thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  02:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the info it clears most of my qwestions up only two things is it a plane diffrent planet or something else entierly. and what sources do you refer to? Evermeet or...

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  03:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I honestly can't remember where I read that at. It was a LONG time ago, and it just sort of stuck in my brain.

It is a seperate Plane, with a wildly varied timespan. I think it's around 1 minute there is like a year here.

I also think it's where Rip Van Winkle disappeared to, hence his long absence.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  23:23:21  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thanks again and now I finally now it IS a plane so I can finally move on.

Edited by - Senbar Flay on 05 Jan 2005 23:24:24
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  09:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Plane of Faerie is detailed in the Manual of the Planes (near the back.) It depicts Faerie to be currently in an age of constant twilight.

Tintageer was an island nation in the plane of Faerie that was populated by sun & moon elves iirc. There was a great war with an unnamed enemy. The elves of Tintageer used powerful high magic to blast the invading ships back off the island.

But the spell was too powerful. The water surrounding the island was blasted far out to see with the invading ships. A huge wall of water came crashing back in on the island like a tsunami. Less than 50 Sun & Moon elves escaped through a hastily cast portal to Faerun during the time that dragons ruled Faerun.

Races of Faerun seems to indicate that Faerun was settled by waves of Elven pioneers, a lot more than 50. So Tintageer can't be the only elven city in Faerie that elves migrated from.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  19:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested in another take/option on Faerie, there is a D20 option from Bastion Press y'all might want to take a look at.....

Bryon Wischstadt, long-time Realms fanatic and all-around good guy, wrote this guide to Faerie (both the realm/plane and inhabitants) and yours truly edited it alongside him. As both of us (and Jim Butler, Bastion's president, CEO, and chief cook and bottle washer) all have a deep and abiding love for the Realms, there's nothing in there that wouldn't work in terms of using Faerie as a source for ancient elves (or other more modern threats). It's a mix of old folklore and modern conceptions of Faerie and even stats up Old Man Winter, Father Time, and Father Christmas if you want such.

Steven
Who apologizes profusely for plugging a product but it seems relevant to the discussion at hand

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  21:19:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

For those interested in another take/option on Faerie, there is a D20 option from Bastion Press y'all might want to take a look at.....

Bryon Wischstadt, long-time Realms fanatic and all-around good guy, wrote this guide to Faerie (both the realm/plane and inhabitants) and yours truly edited it alongside him. As both of us (and Jim Butler, Bastion's president, CEO, and chief cook and bottle washer) all have a deep and abiding love for the Realms, there's nothing in there that wouldn't work in terms of using Faerie as a source for ancient elves (or other more modern threats). It's a mix of old folklore and modern conceptions of Faerie and even stats up Old Man Winter, Father Time, and Father Christmas if you want such.

Steven
Who apologizes profusely for plugging a product but it seems relevant to the discussion at hand

Is having deju vu experiences again. :) We just talked about this book, over on Candlekeep, about a week ago.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  21:23:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven

Is having deju vu experiences again. :) We just talked about this book, over on Candlekeep, about a week ago.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  00:20:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Steven

I'm having a déjà vu experience, myself... I coulda sworn I just read this post!

(Speaking of déjà vu, I noticed in my Expanded Psionics Handbook that the power by that name is in there twice! )

Since I heard about this book, I've been trying to lay hands on a copy of it... Knowing that the esteemed Sage Schend worked on it just makes me want it more.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  08:14:29  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(Speaking of déjà vu, I noticed in my Expanded Psionics Handbook that the power by that name is in there twice! )

That would be about right . . . I thought mine was the only copy like that.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  15:22:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm having a déjà vu experience, myself... I coulda sworn I just read this post!

No you aren't because these aren't the droids you're looking for...oh wait, wrong damn fiction world!
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  05:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, I went out and bought Faeries today based on your recommendation. So far it looks very neat. I like the two-page map of Faerie in the middle. I suppose you could put Tintageer among the ilsands off the Southeastern coast east of the Moors of Disrepair.

I didn't think you would be able to use any of the D&D faerie gods from Monster Mythology, but I saw some old familiar names in there: Queen Titania, Queen of Air & Darkness, Verenestra. They have lost their godly status though, now just high-level fey NPC's but that is not really a drawback for me.

Some of the history and geography looks very intriguing. I haven't had time to read much of it yet, but I am very delighted so far.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this book!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  08:58:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Steven, I went out and bought Faeries today based on your recommendation. So far it looks very neat. I like the two-page map of Faerie in the middle. I suppose you could put Tintageer among the ilsands off the Southeastern coast east of the Moors of Disrepair.

I didn't think you would be able to use any of the D&D faerie gods from Monster Mythology, but I saw some old familiar names in there: Queen Titania, Queen of Air & Darkness, Verenestra. They have lost their godly status though, now just high-level fey NPC's but that is not really a drawback for me.

Some of the history and geography looks very intriguing. I haven't had time to read much of it yet, but I am very delighted so far.

I'd like to pick up a copy of this tome myself. Gray, can you tell me what it's actual title is, as well as who published it and the year of it's publication?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  15:44:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I'd like to pick up a copy of this tome myself. Gray, can you tell me what it's actual title is, as well as who published it and the year of it's publication?

Just in case you didn't see my other post...

Faeries: D20 System
by Bryon Wischstadt (Designer), Steven Schend (Editor)
Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Bastion Press (April, 2003)
ISBN: 1592630014
List Price is $27.95
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  16:08:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm hoping to find a copy for a decent price on eBay... I know my FLGS doesn't have it...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  16:47:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm hoping to find a copy for a decent price on eBay... I know my FLGS doesn't have it...

Amazon and its marketplace vendors have some at decent prices.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  17:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Glad you like it, Gray (and others). For general reference, look closely and you'll see two homages/tips of the hat to Neil Gaiman's exemplary work with this sort of story/world.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  04:33:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For general reference, look closely and you'll see two homages/tips of the hat to Neil Gaiman's exemplary work with this sort of story/world.

Oooh... I'll keep an eye or three out for that. I absolutely love Gaiman's work, especially the "worlds" created through The Sandman storylines.

Thanks for the tip, Mr. Schend .

quote:
Just in case you didn't see my other post...

Faeries: D20 System
by Bryon Wischstadt (Designer), Steven Schend (Editor)
Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Bastion Press (April, 2003)
ISBN: 1592630014
List Price is $27.95
I did, I just felt it was more appropriate to respond to it here. Thanks for the details, Sirius . It will make my task of tracking a copy of this tome down in Australia, that much easier.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  06:12:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My local gaming store stocks nothing at all from Bastion Press so I'd be interested to know where you track down a copy here, Sage.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000