Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Can not reply to topic?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  20:03:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi there was posed a quetion asking for advive on RPing a Lolthian Cleric/Bard and I typed a rather long answer to the questions posed. However when I sent not only did I recieve the indication that the topic was erased , that back stepping I could not even recover my text.

The big question I pose is why was topic deleted? It did appear to be general chat and other requests for advice I have not noticed disappearing.

I suspect the text disappearing is a more tech as to how code is implimented, though a little fustrating to say the least.

Basically asking what was wrong with the topic?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  08:33:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Kentinal

Hmmmmm, this sounds as though ye were writing a reply whilst the scroll was removed. However, I don't recall removing a scroll on this topic. Unless mayhaps Tethtoril removed or deleted it for some reason? Tethtoril?

Nevertheless, apologies for the inconvenience, Kentinal. If the scroll can be located, i'll see what can be done.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  09:03:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met, Kentinal

Hmmmmm, this sounds as though ye were writing a reply whilst the scroll was removed. However, I don't recall removing a scroll on this topic. Unless mayhaps Tethtoril removed or deleted it for some reason? Tethtoril?

Nevertheless, apologies for the inconvenience, Kentinal. If the scroll can be located, i'll see what can be done.

Certainly this is what I believe as well, of course the user could have deleted the post as well. Having the electrons disappear occurs often and I can understand if they do not get recovered.
From my prespective it would be nice if my addition to the scroll could be recoverws, however will not be upset if such can not reappear.
Should the scroll reappear that I might add to it and my addition can not so be it. I will be able to add a simalar (though odds are not the same) addition.

As the wheel spins. I thank you for your greeting and concern concerning the scroll.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  09:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you recieved an error message after clicking "Post New Reply," then the topic was deleted before that click. That means that if going back didn't reveal your post, nothing will. Sometimes going back will refresh the page, which returns it to default -- which doesn't include text you added.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  09:35:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*nods* The javascript at work, however the sever still might have electrons in its cache. Not all that worried about it, but as noted surprised that topic was deleted whist I was writing a reply. As the topic did not appear to me to merit feletion.

Topic was _I need some advice_ as I recall, which might have been enough for a moderator (or user) to decide to delete before somebody replied to it. I just got caught in timing of replying to a subject that no longer existed.

Edit: Searching my cache the topic was _Im in need of some Advice_ alas it appears cache did not record or over wrte my reply. Still seaching HD though.

Edited by - Kentinal on 21 Dec 2004 11:07:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  13:17:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

*nods* The javascript at work, however the sever still might have electrons in its cache. Not all that worried about it, but as noted surprised that topic was deleted whist I was writing a reply. As the topic did not appear to me to merit feletion.

Topic was _I need some advice_ as I recall, which might have been enough for a moderator (or user) to decide to delete before somebody replied to it. I just got caught in timing of replying to a subject that no longer existed.

Edit: Searching my cache the topic was _Im in need of some Advice_ alas it appears cache did not record or over wrte my reply. Still seaching HD though.

Sounds like you're having a little trouble with JavaScript there, my friend . If you aren't too afraid of delving into the heart of the Windows OS (it doesn't matter which version), I may be able to provide you with some little and easy-to-use techniques that you can implement to avoid such problems in the future. And trust me... you will have problems in the future...

Just let me know .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Dec 2004 13:19:05
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  15:05:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Sounds like you're having a little trouble with JavaScript there, my friend . If you aren't too afraid of delving into the heart of the Windows OS (it doesn't matter which version), I may be able to provide you with some little and easy-to-use techniques that you can implement to avoid such problems in the future. And trust me... you will have problems in the future...

Just let me know .

Not adverse to fixing OS, have been in regedit before.
Not sure this issue merits adjustment though.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000