Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Require aid on Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seter Durothil
Acolyte

Israel
8 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  14:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Seter Durothil's Homepage Send Seter Durothil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am looking for information upon historical event that took place in Cormyr ( famous and infamous alike ) that occured up until 1384 DR.

I thank in advance to any who may aid me.

Edited by - Alaundo on 04 Dec 2004 17:17:37

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  16:38:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing we know of has happened in 1384, since it's about 1372 or 1373 right now.

I'd recommend Cormyr: The Novel, as it covers many important historical happenings in the Forest Kingdom.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seter Durothil
Acolyte

Israel
8 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  16:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Seter Durothil's Homepage Send Seter Durothil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aside from the novel itself, is there some form of source book ? Even for the region of Cormyr ?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  17:16:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Seter Durothil

There is of course the Cormyr tome, which gives a fair amount of information on the Forest Kingdom.

As Wooly Rupert states, the Cormyr: A Novel tome is a beautiful historic tale of the kingdom, which I highly recommend.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 04 Dec 2004 17:17:25
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  17:20:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seter Durothil

Aside from the novel itself, is there some form of source book ? Even for the region of Cormyr ?

The 1e and 2e box sets.
Volo's Guide to Cormyr
Cormyr sourcebook
The FRCS
Haunted Halls of Eveningstar
Death of the Dragon

And I might be forgetting one or two others. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  17:58:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As others have pointed out, there's plenty of source material out there... But I stand by the novel as the best source of historical info.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  18:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are also Four from Cormyr and Into the Dragon's Lair. I'd also recommend checking the Realms-L mailing list (archived at http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?S1=realms-l), the Questions for Ed Greenwood thread in the novels section, and a general forum search for topics on 'Cormyr,' 'Purple Dragon' and similar subjects.

Otherwise, specific answers will probably require specific questions to be asked.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  19:14:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And for the most recent happenings in Cormyr, where all the cool scribes hang out eventually, pick up a copy of Elminster's Daughter. This novel is wonderfully written and hints at some interesting developments in the future for Cormyr.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  19:20:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

And for the most recent happenings in Cormyr, where all the cool scribes hang out eventually, pick up a copy of Elminster's Daughter. This novel is wonderfully written and hints at some interesting developments in the future for Cormyr.

I thought the cool scribes hung out in Waterdeep...

Go to Top of Page

Seter Durothil
Acolyte

Israel
8 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  22:14:28  Show Profile  Visit Seter Durothil's Homepage Send Seter Durothil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason to my question is because I RP a Cormyrian bard and wanted to write few poems and songs about historical events.

Got few subjects as freedom and family as Corymrians are Tethyrians in origin.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  22:49:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The reason to my question is because I RP a Cormyrian bard and wanted to write few poems and songs about historical events.

Got few subjects as freedom and family as Corymrians are Tethyrians in origin.

Go for the novel, definitely!

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  23:11:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Go for the novel, definitely!

Oh yes, The Cormyr novel and Death of the Dragon would work best for you then.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2004 :  03:03:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, now, gentlescribes: cool scribes hang out in Cormyr, Waterdeep, and Silverymoon . . . but the COOLEST scribes hang out on Storm’s lap, in Shadowdale.
Trust me. I KNOW.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2004 :  04:25:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Now, now, gentlescribes: cool scribes hang out in Cormyr, Waterdeep, and Silverymoon . . . but the COOLEST scribes hang out on Storm’s lap, in Shadowdale.
Trust me. I KNOW.
THO

Sorry, but I prefer your lap, my dear Lady. Of course, if I could hang out with you and Storm, and there was much sharing of laps, then I would feel like the coolest scribe out there.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2004 :  17:00:03  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Trust me. I KNOW.
THO

But Lhaeo's a married man now, THO! ;) Or does he get to be a Coolest Scribe of the past with other things on his plate now?

Steven
Whose brain cross-hatches that other discussion on festhalls and wonders if there's a festhall/library somewhere in the Realms (Best Guess--Baldur's Gate or Suzail) wherein the libidinous young scribes all write and collect the erotica of the Realms?

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2004 :  17:40:17  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would more expect to find such a library in Calimport - Sharess does have a presence there...
Go to Top of Page

Seter Durothil
Acolyte

Israel
8 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  13:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Seter Durothil's Homepage Send Seter Durothil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your aid.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  17:58:57  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Durothil,

Here is a great compiled list of resources:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cormyr

Best regards,

quote:

I am looking for information upon historical event that took place in Cormyr ( famous and infamous alike ) that occured up until 1384 DR.

I thank in advance to any who may aid me.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000