Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Silver Shadows
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2004 :  16:58:57  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Seems the poastal-order shop I buy my FR-books from has put me in a bit of a conundrum...

Having ordered the three last books of Elaine Cunningham's Songs & Swords-series (Silver Shadows, Thornhold, and Dream Spheres) I found myself opening a package containing the last two books and a note telling me that Silver Shadows was temporarily out of stock and will be sent as soon as it arrives...

So what I wonder is if reading Thornhold and Dream Spheres will ruin any surprises for me when it's time for Silver Shadows? And if not having read Silver Shadows will cause me to not quite understand or fully grasp certain relationships or events in the two later books?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2004 :  17:14:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Seems the poastal-order shop I buy my FR-books from has put me in a bit of a conundrum...

Oh, I love that word conundrum....it just rolls off the tongue. Of course, it usually does not bode well when it's brought up and in your case that is the truth. Sorry.

quote:

Having ordered the three last books of Elaine Cunningham's Songs & Swords-series (Silver Shadows, Thornhold, and Dream Spheres) I found myself opening a package containing the last two books and a note telling me that Silver Shadows was temporarily out of stock and will be sent as soon as it arrives...

They give an ETA as to when that will happen? Week? Weeks? Month?

quote:

So what I wonder is if reading Thornhold and Dream Spheres will ruin any surprises for me when it's time for Silver Shadows? And if not having read Silver Shadows will cause me to not quite understand or fully grasp certain relationships or events in the two later books?

Thornhold I think you can read. I would really hold off on reading Dream Spheres until you read Silver Shadows. The latter novel shows some vital events in the development of Arilyn. I don't want to spoil too much for you, but to me Silver Shadows for Arilyn reminds me of a line read in another novel:

"How can I find peace with another when I have yet to find peace with myself."

I'm paraphrasing there as I read the novel almost 20 years ago, but the idea fits. Silver Shadows allows a great deal to be addressed for Arilyn when it comes to her heritage, her moonblade, and her place among the Tel'Quessir.

Sorry, but I really would hold off for it before reading Dream Spheres.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2004 :  17:22:20  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Sirius, and yes, conundrum is one of the reasons I'm in love with English language.

quote:
They give an ETA as to when that will happen? Week? Weeks? Month?

No ETA (and what does a Basque terrorist-organization have to do with this), but judging by prior experience of the same kind of thing happening I'd say days or at most a week before I can skip off to the post-office (gas-station really...) and pick up the book.

Guess I'll have to make do with my Napoleon-biography until then.
(Fun fact of the day: As a boy Napoleon wanted to become a sailor in the navy - the British navy...)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2004 :  18:34:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with SB. Silver Shadows sets up some things that Dream Spheres builds upon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2004 :  20:33:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the reply Sirius, and yes, conundrum is one of the reasons I'm in love with English language.

You're welcome and conundrum can definitely apply to the English language on many occassions.

quote:

No ETA (and what does a Basque terrorist-organization have to do with this),

quote:

but judging by prior experience of the same kind of thing happening I'd say days or at most a week before I can skip off to the post-office (gas-station really...) and pick up the book.

Okay, that's not bad.

quote:

Guess I'll have to make do with my Napoleon-biography until then.
(Fun fact of the day: As a boy Napoleon wanted to become a sailor in the navy - the British navy...)

I strongly feel Thornhold can be read without any problems. You'll be introduced to some memorable new characters including Bronwyn who is in Dream Spheres when Dan realizes...well something that most men would have trouble with upon learning.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I agree with SB.

I should frame that with neon colors for my signature if for no other reason than the fact it reminds me of a scene from the last Rowling novel.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2004 :  21:08:21  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I should frame that with neon colors for my signature if for no other reason than the fact it reminds me of a scene from the last Rowling novel.

Speaking of that tome... Would bullying my younger brother into letting me borrow it be worthwhile once I'm done with the Cunningham three, and Napoleon. And oh... a new Stalin-biography, a biography concerning the Swedish 18th century king Karl XII, a book about political murders in history and the new Swedish translation of Lord of the Rings..?
It's good when your family knows what you want for birthday-presents no?

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Miraculixx
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2004 :  21:35:22  Show Profile  Visit Miraculixx's Homepage Send Miraculixx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm!
My comments so far.

Read the books in the chonology, and dont start with a book,thats starts later in the time setting, as the one before(so wait until the book arrives).

Dont know from where you are coming, but by me(in europe), when i order from "amazon" , they deliver me the books only complete, and they dont tell me to wait for a book a couple of weeks.

with greetings from germany a humble scribe
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2004 :  22:45:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Speaking of that tome... Would bullying my younger brother into letting me borrow it be worthwhile once I'm done with the Cunningham three, and Napoleon.

Yes, very worthwhile.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000