Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 The Hamster and the Hurricane...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  13:07:33  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, take care, furry friend!

And use the "day off" to write more realmslore.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  13:11:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And I resurrect this thread yet again! This time tomorrow morning, we'll have Tropical Storm Ernesto parked overhead... It's no big deal. I'm just hoping it works out to be a day off!

Either way, keep your head down, my furry friend.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Aug 2006 13:12:11
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  14:15:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

And I resurrect this thread yet again! This time tomorrow morning, we'll have Tropical Storm Ernesto parked overhead... It's no big deal. I'm just hoping it works out to be a day off!

Either way, keep your head down, my furry friend.

And the aforementioned fur dry.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  18:10:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grab thy tomes and head for the hills...erm, the caverns, Furry One.

Hope all passes by without incident.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  17:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, welcome back, Wooly!

It´s good to see you walking in the halls of the keep, well and safe. Take a mug of dwaarven beer. Alaundo is paying.
I expect that everything was well with Ernesto...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  17:58:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They originally were talking about 50-60 mph winds, and up to 6 inches of rain. But then Ernesto weakened... Though half the county was closed down, what we had amounted to a normal summertime rainy day. So it was a wash.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  19:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that is better, considering that the other option was stay in the wrong side of Talos wrath.

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  19:10:35  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*waves wod of thwead necwomancy*

Congrats on dodgin Talos whath, Wupeht!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  19:34:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*laughs*

I thought about digging up this thread again, because of Tropical Storm Fay, which I was just out and about in. But then I decided that a tropical storm wasn't worth the effort... Though the local newsies would have you believe otherwise, and have been acting like it's a major hurricane.

My storm preparations: I told my fiancée that, depending on the weather, I would drive her to and from work. And that's it.

It started raining late last night, and has rained pretty much since then. It's not a heavy rain, though -- more light to moderate. It's a lighter rainfall than most of our summer thunderstorms. There's been some wind, enough to blow down some branches and scatter a lot of leaves, but not a lot more. I did get knocked around a bit driving my fiancée's SUV on A1A, which is right next to the beach, and the traffic lights were really swaying, too -- but we've seen that before, without a tropical storm being involved.

Looking at the current projection, it appears that the bulk of the storm will be passing right over us later tonight and tomorrow morn. But since it's not even a Cat One, I'm not really worried about it. I'm paying attention more to stay informed than anything else.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  19:42:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I was just reading thru this entire thread... It's kind of ironic. In the first post, I was really worried about losing all of my stuff to wind and rain. And instead, I lost it all last year to fire. Life sure works out strange, sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  20:57:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know, I was just reading thru this entire thread... It's kind of ironic. In the first post, I was really worried about losing all of my stuff to wind and rain. And instead, I lost it all last year to fire. Life sure works out strange, sometimes.

If I were you, I would store in waterproof containers all the stuff you have replaced!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  21:51:33  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I'm with you, RW.

Just consider the ambient, tropical humidity without the storms! Layered gallon freezer-bag Ziplocs, culminating in their Big Bags.

Then again, I'm a bit OCD.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  22:10:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got home from picking up my fiancée -- she works in a home improvement place, beachside, and they just closed it down. The place has taken some wind damage, and it was really slow, anyway.

The rain has gotten worse. At times, the visibility was absolute crap. And streets are starting to flood, too.

Other than that, though, we're still doing fine.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  18:26:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This dang storm... It's slowed down considerably. It was supposed to be well past us by now, but the eye is still fairly close. It's been raining pretty much continuously since late Monday night. So streets are flooding, and it's getting hard to go anywhere. In part of Satellite Beach (where I was living up until a few months ago), the sewers are overwhelmed. They've been backing up in areas, and officials there are asking that water use be limited to just personal hygiene, because of it.

Our hot tub, which is on our back porch, is within minutes of overflowing. And the rain keeps coming!

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  18:40:07  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beshaba's bossom and Talos' testes, you need a hurricane party! My friend from Miami swears they're the best way to enjoy Floridian weather.

Keep an eye out for Rinonalyrna! She mentioned she was going to FL and may just float past you!

Here's hoping you have a waterproof hamsterball....
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  20:01:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just took a couple pics of my yard... According to the National Weather Service, we've had like 15 inches of rain -- more in some parts of the county -- since Monday night.

http://himsheepy.googlepages.com/fay

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  20:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly !
few months after the damages to your home !!

Aren't you a Beshaba's worshipper ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 20 Aug 2008 20:28:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  21:29:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Wooly !

My home was never damaged. Last year's loss was a storage unit where all my stuff was. I thank Lurue it wasn't my home.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  06:13:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's still really windy, but the storm has finally moved away. The continuous rain finally stopped around late afternoon, after dropping 25-30 inches of rain in about 36 hours. Once the rain finally let up, a lot of the flooding I was seeing -- and took pics of -- was gone within a couple of hours. It's worse in some areas, though... One part of town, they were going in with rafts to get people out, and power to that area was shut down for safety reasons.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Aug 2008 06:17:40
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  14:27:12  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to see you've managed to avoid the worst of it, Wooly. Any plans to relocate out of the hurricane zone?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  15:32:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

I'm glad to see you've managed to avoid the worst of it, Wooly. Any plans to relocate out of the hurricane zone?

Not any time soon... We just bought this house.

Really, this area isn't that much of a hurricane zone. From 1988 until 2004, I only went thru a handful of hurricanes -- and the worst was a Cat 2. 2004 was a fluke (I don't know of any other hurricane that looped like Jeanne did). We've only had one hurricane and this tropical storm, since then -- and because of the slow speed of this tropical storm, I think it's dumped more rain than the hurricane did.

Between the barrier islands and ocean currents, this area rarely gets hit -- that's why Cape Canaveral is here. I've seen a lot of hurricanes that looked like they were going to hit, only to veer off (usually to the north by a significant amount) while still a day or so away.

Fay didn't even approach this coast -- it made landfall on the other side of the state, and came across. That was what Charlie did in 2004. And unless they are moving fast, tropical storms/hurricanes lose a lot of strength when moving over land.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Aug 2008 15:32:55
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  18:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Wooly !

My home was never damaged. Last year's loss was a storage unit where all my stuff was. I thank Lurue it wasn't my home.

Oops !
I forgot that important detail.
Excuse-me for the mistake Wooly.

Good luck with your new house.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  21:39:09  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::in a British accent::

TS Fay, how dirty states get clean!
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2008 :  22:58:56  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly i just want to say i know what u go through with those hurricanes, I live in Louisiana and actually stayed on the northshore for Katrina and luckly nothing bad happened where i was at, though this latest one gustav managed to take a few of my D&D books with it including some of my old forgotten realm novels and game books. curse these dreaded storms!!!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2008 :  02:35:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kysus

Wooly i just want to say i know what u go through with those hurricanes, I live in Louisiana and actually stayed on the northshore for Katrina and luckly nothing bad happened where i was at, though this latest one gustav managed to take a few of my D&D books with it including some of my old forgotten realm novels and game books. curse these dreaded storms!!!

Hurricanes suck. I'm glad I've never had anything worse than 7 days without power result from one.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2016 :  18:32:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang it, it looks like I have to resurrect this one again...

It's looking like we're going to catch at least part of Matthew as it passes by. It was projected to be comfortably far away, as of yesterday, but it's now projected to come a lot closer. I'm hoping it goes back to further away, but we shall see.

When I started this thread, I was just a single guy living in a crappy apartment. My wife and I were still a couple months from our first date... Now we have a house and a 5 year old son -- that makes this routine a lot scarier than it has been on past occasions.

I will keep y'all updated.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2016 :  21:06:42  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best wishes, Immortal Hamster. Stay safe, and may Tymora guard and bless you and yours.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2016 :  22:03:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like FL might get slammed. I would sacrifice a goat for Talos if I were you. Good luck.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2016 :  02:09:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best wishes indeed. I hope it all turns out for the least bad.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2016 :  09:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Stay safe, Wooly! Batten down the hatches.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly