Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Dangerous Games *SPOILERS*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  22:01:57  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
At the start of Dangerous Games, Candlemas takes Sunbright as an 'apprentice' for wont of a better term. Sunbright is a wannabe shaman who should use divine magic so how can an arcane magic user teach him anything? Does all magic come from one source in ancient Netheril.

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.

Moonharp
Acolyte

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  02:18:53  Show Profile  Visit Moonharp's Homepage Send Moonharp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, having read the trilogy, I have wondered slightly about the fact that shamanism seems to differ so little in the eyes of Candlemas and Sunbright from arcane magic and clerical magic.
I believe that Sunbright wanted to be a druid (which I believe is a shaman in his tongue). Therefore, the assumption that Candlemas could actually teach him something was erroneous... Though if you read on you will see a slight difference between the magics, and Candlemases inability to teach Sunbright too much (though that is because of other problems as well).
However, I would also think that all magic on Faerun... whether nature or arcane, would come from the Weave surrounding Abeir-Toril, and therefore, yes, it would be possible for one caster to explain the basics of it to another.
Hope this helped, but I am not so sure it did .

Moonharp the Marvelous
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  21:17:12  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Moonharp, I agree that all magic would come from the weave and Sunbright appears to pray to any God as the situation demands it, so he probably does nor use divine magic. I am not too far into the book so hopefully things will become clearer.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  21:32:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We had this debate on the WOTC boards. Divine magic comes from the deity itself and it is channeled through the Weave or the Shadow Weave. Arcane magic is raw magic that is channeled through the Weave or the Shadow Weave.

Remember the Weaves of Toril are just conduits that arcane or divine magic flow through.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  21:47:57  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't realise that Divine magic came through the weave, I just assumed that it traveled from the God to the priest...... actually now that I think about it it makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  22:49:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

I didn't realise that Divine magic came through the weave, I just assumed that it traveled from the God to the priest...... actually now that I think about it it makes sense.

Yup, all magic, be it divine or arcane, flows through one of the two Weaves. If the Weaves did not exist, like they did before Mystryl was born, then no magic would exist on Faerun/Toril/Realmspace.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2004 :  22:49:06  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK then, if all magic comes from the Weave is is possible that arcane spells are from the Gods the same as divine spells. A priest must pray to regain his spells, so lets imagine that a wizard is up the creek without a paddle, he prays for help whilst fingering random objects in his pocket. See where I am going. The reverse is also possible. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I only read the novels and play the computer games

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  00:27:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK then, if all magic comes from the Weave is is possible that arcane spells are from the Gods the same as divine spells. A priest must pray to regain his spells, so lets imagine that a wizard is up the creek without a paddle, he prays for help whilst fingering random objects in his pocket. See where I am going. The reverse is also possible. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I only read the novels and play the computer games

I don't think it would work that way... Here's how I see it: You have the Weave. You have deities. You have clerics and mages.

Mages and sorcerers draw directly from the Weave. No gods are involved.

Clerics, on the other hand, don't draw directly from the Weave -- they have to pray to their deity, and the deity acts as a conduit. The deity shapes and controls how the cleric accesses the Weave. In essence, this makes the gods magic middle-men.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  01:08:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No magic doesn't come from the Weaves because the Weaves are just conduits.

Arcane magic comes from raw magic. Divine magic comes from deities. When Arcane users cast or learn thier spells the Weaves act as conduits and they channel the raw magic through them. When divine casters pray, their deities answer the prayers and send the divine energy, as divine spells and divine powers, to the divine casters by the conduits of the two Weaves.

Edited by - Kuje on 03 Sep 2004 01:10:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000