Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 I hate australia!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Windshear
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  02:19:12  Show Profile  Visit Windshear's Homepage Send Windshear a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I hate living in Australia, I can't get complete series of books, and it takes forever to get 'new releases' (still waiting for dawn of night, and a large number of other books)... grrrr...

Not to mention the fact that there's a severe lack of d20 stuff. :P rawr.

Work is the scourge of the drinking classes --- Oscar Wilde

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  03:14:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Err... As can be garnered from my screen profile, I also live in Australia, and I must say that I have never experienced a problem obtaining quality D&D products, eventually.

In fact, in some cases (depending upon pre-orders) I sometimes receive FR material as it is just being released in the US (on occassion it has been a few days before). Purchasing FR novels has never been a problem for me either, the only novel I'm currently waiting for release is Forsaken House.

And as for the lack of d20 "stuff", with that I can also disagree. You're problem may stem from purchasing your material from game or hobby stores. They very rarely receive all D&D shipments (only Melbourne game stores don't experience this lacking), and usually only order what their customers request.

Your best bet is to order online, if you are able. Then your problem obtaining D&D products will disappear. Or if you already order online, then please, tell me who are you using to make these online purchases?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  12:49:47  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!

I saw this topic title...and the South African part of me rose like an animal urge.

In honour of my friend the Sage though, I will restrain my fingers

I agree with the Sage though, if he can get all the products he does, there must be a way. Online is always an option, since for the right price they can get you just about anything. I don't know about online costs though, so I wont make any recommendations.

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  14:37:42  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Windshear

I hate living in Australia, I can't get complete series of books, and it takes forever to get 'new releases' (still waiting for dawn of night, and a large number of other books)... grrrr...

Windshear,

Where in Australia are you located? I ask because just yesterday I got an email regarding Twilight Falling and Dawn of Night from a book store owner in Perth. He had both books on his shelves, so I know they're down there.
Go to Top of Page

Windshear
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  15:39:04  Show Profile  Visit Windshear's Homepage Send Windshear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in Brisbane, the other side of the country, unfortunately... I've been to every concievable bookshop I can find.

Unfortunately, I am limited in my options as far as online. Actually, I'll retract part of my statement, hehe, I found a shop today that has a lot of 'stuff', but with a rather narrow focus. They carry a lot of stuff, but only from a few companies. Oh well, I'll just have to quest a little wider. *grin*

I was kind of being a bit of a grumbly bum this morning when I wrote the original thread.

Work is the scourge of the drinking classes --- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  16:39:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was kind of being a bit of a grumbly bum this morning when I wrote the original thread.

Everyone gets in such moods.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  16:55:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Windshear,

Where in Australia are you located? I ask because just yesterday I got an email regarding Twilight Falling and Dawn of Night from a book store owner in Perth. He had both books on his shelves, so I know they're down there.

Well, I live in Perth, and I happen to know both the store and it's owner personally. Some of the FR material he carries has been at mine and a few of my friends requests. In fact, up until the 3e FRCS release, he had no idea there was campaign setting based on the novels for the Realms.

quote:
Unfortunately, I am limited in my options as far as online. Actually, I'll retract part of my statement, hehe, I found a shop today that has a lot of 'stuff', but with a rather narrow focus. They carry a lot of stuff, but only from a few companies. Oh well, I'll just have to quest a little wider. *grin*

The store in question, here in Perth carries a fairly large range of game products in terms of publishers. If you're looking for something in particular, let me know. I might be able to locate it for you and send it along, provided we can settle on some method of monetary exchange. Because we live in the same country, P&H won't really be that much of a concern... In any event, let me know what you think?

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  10:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick note about setting the subject for the topic otherwise you could get a lot of from people that are really defensive about their homeland including me!!

You can preorder books from your local bookstore and gaming materials... contact Sage.

AND SAGE... how can I get in contact with you about stores to visit in Perth??

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  11:20:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Tin soldier in Sydney has Dawn of Night (and has had for at least 6 weeks, they also have Lady of Poison)

Rule #1 If your in Australia and you a Credit card then Amazon is your friend. They Will ALWAYS be cheaper than the local stores even after you calculate shipping. Trust me your speaking to some one who has been ordering stuff from Amazon since the Mid 90s

The only time its not worth ordering from Amazon is when your ordering Paper back novels as the shipping makes them more expensive than Domestic prices. FR Source books and Hard Cover novels (ie the WOSQ series, Most of Ed Greenwoods new stuff and anything new by RA Salvatore) are well worth getting from OS in all likelyhood you'll get the books not only cheaper BUT FASTER than the local stores

I am the King of Rome, and above grammar

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  14:26:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

Just send me an ethereal mail message, and I'll get back to you . I'd post the listing here, but since it's only of use to several of us here at Candlekeep, it would likely be a waste of precious parchment.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  04:51:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C'mon, you can't hate Australia! After all, we have more FR loremasters per capita than anywhere else in the world (and gold medals too from the looks of it ...)

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  09:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Lina

Just send me an ethereal mail message, and I'll get back to you . I'd post the listing here, but since it's only of use to several of us here at Candlekeep, it would likely be a waste of precious parchment.

Ok Sage, one message comming your way.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  11:13:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

C'mon, you can't hate Australia! After all, we have more FR loremasters per capita than anywhere else in the world

And that's only taking into account the scribes who have actually posted here at Candlekeep...

Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  09:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, that bookshop you were refering to: was it a little shop near the train station by any chance?
If so then I've been going there since the place openned in 1986!

And George has it right, Australia, a plucky battling little nation that punches WELL above it's weight in ALL catagories

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  13:27:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

Sage, that bookshop you were refering to: was it a little shop near the train station by any chance?

Yes it is, or rather... was.

Thanks to the actions of some very shifty lawyers, the store has now been forced to relocate to another site which we will be learning the location of within a few weeks.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  16:03:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks to the actions of some very shifty lawyers, the store has now been forced to relocate to another site which we will be learning the location of within a few weeks.

Isn't it kinda redundant to say "very shifty" when describing lawyers?

(No offense intended to anyone! )

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  16:10:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

... I suppose you're right.

Although, from what I've learned about these vile creatures, they're actually considered to of the "shifty" creature subtype. I don't think it's listed in the MM though...

Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  16:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh your refering to ValhallaSage. I thought you were talking about SuperNova, the Sci-Fi/fanstasy bookshop in Rain Square.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  21:33:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

... I suppose you're right.

Although, from what I've learned about these vile creatures, they're actually considered to of the "shifty" creature subtype. I don't think it's listed in the MM though...

and here I thought Lawyers just had the Baatezu subtype

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  02:46:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh your refering to ValhallaSage. I thought you were talking about SuperNova, the Sci-Fi/fanstasy bookshop in Rain Square.

I'm aware of Supernova . I have my subscription for DL novels there.

quote:
Good point.

In that case, consider them Shifty Baatezu Lawful Evil Outsiders...

Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  04:12:32  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Roger, Purloin & Sue : Fiends (Attonerys) at Law

Offices located in the lowest circles of Hell

Give a chant and we'll be there for you!

EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  10:12:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose that means we'll next be seeing a "Devil's Advocate" PrC in one of the upcoming WotC supplements...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  10:35:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Roger, Purloin & Sue : Fiends (Attonerys) at Law

Offices located in the lowest circles of Hell

Give a chant and we'll be there for you!

More commonly known as Wolferman & Hart

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  16:27:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
More commonly known as Wolferman & Hart

Good taste in television.
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  20:10:38  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

LOL, you got me on a number of counts here
USyd Law, '99.
quote:

Nah, there's at least three there I can think of that don't... wait, two - I'm safely ensconsed back here in the US Then again, maybe so; I know I drove many insane, especially during the Republican votes. The stories I could tell ... hehe

Part of sojourn down there was during part of my non-gaming days; I remember a great Fantasy/Sci-Fi book store, just (oh, bloody hell, can't remember directions...) West(? in the direction of the Casino, if you could wa'l across the water there) of the QVB - but don't remember if it had any gaming material. I haven't been there since Feb 00, so I'm sure things have changed.

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000