Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Question about publishing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rananteriel
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  18:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Rananteriel's Homepage Send Rananteriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've heard a rumour that the people who publish and write the 'forgotton realms' are not going to write any new novels ... is this true at all???? is the Forgotton Realms really doomed to die the same horrible death as 'dragonlance' and 'dungeons and dragons'? I hope not as this is the best series of books I have ever read

'Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have ajob. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?'

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  18:33:33  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While I highly doubt that WotC has any plans to stop publishing FR novels, turnover in the writer's "bullpen" is not unheard of. Familiar names move on to other projects and are replaced by fresh blood, but I'm fairly confident that new FR books will be showing up on shelves near you for the forseeable future.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Rananteriel
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  18:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Rananteriel's Homepage Send Rananteriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank Vala for that ... I'm glad it's not stopping as i've been following the Drizzt story line for some time and would love to see what happens with him.

The Series is great if a little under published in Britain ... darn bookshops keep stopping there supplies DARN YOU CULTRE SHOCK!!!

'Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have ajob. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?'
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  18:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several books have been announced for 2005, and Ed Greenwood is contracted to write books that will be published through 2007 or 2008.

Where did you hear this rumour? Neither Dragonlance nor D&D have suffered deaths, horrible or otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  19:06:59  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think someones been having a joke with you Rananteriel.

As Faraer stated, there are numerous FR novels lined up already and theres no sign to state that the novel line will wane.

As for Dragonlance, it has a HEAVY novel release schedule for the future ahead and has done for a good many years.

I wouldnt worry at all

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  19:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rananteriel

Thank Vala for that ... I'm glad it's not stopping as i've been following the Drizzt story line for some time and would love to see what happens with him.

While I haven't heard any rumors (not that I'm particularly in the know), it's always possible that WotC will at some point end the Drizzt saga. Perhaps what you heard was in reference to stories about that specific character, as opposed to the whole FR line. Even so, as long as Mr. Salvatore is willing to write them, and they sell well, I'm sure WotC will publish future novels on the famous dark elf.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

Edited by - Kameron M. Franklin on 18 Aug 2004 19:37:53
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  19:58:20  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A note on D&D-related rumours: wizards keeps a tight ship, and genuine leaks of information are rare. Most often such rumours are either pure hearsay or legitimate information that's appeared on a message board you happen not to frequent. For instance, Bob Salvatore has said on his boards that he'll take a break from Drizzt to write a few novels about Artemis Entreri. Could this have Chinese-whispered into 'there'll be no more Realms novels'? Stranger things have happened.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  20:49:37  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, very true. Reminds me of that old game Telephone.

Go to Top of Page

Rananteriel
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  08:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Rananteriel's Homepage Send Rananteriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm happy it's still going to be published ... I read it on a Forgotton Realms information site so maybe there wrong.

It may be in referance to that new drow series they have at the mo ... I can't remember the name thou

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  16:35:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm happy it's still going to be published ... I read it on a Forgotton Realms information site so maybe there wrong.

Do you recall which site?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  07:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A trilogy or series that exists in the context of the Forgotten Realms can tell its tale and wrap up. That happens all the time. But I know of no plans to stop publishing new FR books (I'd be very upset if I did!)
By the same token, I don't know of any novelist currently writing FR fiction who has decided to quit doing it. Now, mind you, I'm not tight or even acquainted with everybody. But the writers I do communicate with are all interested in continuing their involvement with the Realms. (A shame, really. If a bunch of them bailed, maybe I'd get more assignments...)
Go to Top of Page

Rananteriel
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  07:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Rananteriel's Homepage Send Rananteriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for clearing things up for me guys, though i still wish britain and norwich in general had a place that sell a more compleate collection of the forgotton realms

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  07:36:45  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(A shame, really. If a bunch of them bailed, maybe I'd get more assignments...)

We could always have one or two of the offed for...oh I don't know, a cameo appearance in a novel let's say?

South African hitmen are top notch, recommended by nine out of ten doctors

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  10:51:49  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are struggling to find the books in shops, Amazon has most of the realms books in stock and you can find the rest on ebay. Most of my collection is from one or the other.

quote:

thanks for clearing things up for me guys, though i still wish britain and norwich in general had a place that sell a more compleate collection of the forgotton realms

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000