Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 FR collection
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  16:31:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by konzer

I have just over 90 books. Trying to convince a friend to sell me his full harper series.

In what condition and for how much?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  16:51:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have just over 90 books. Trying to convince a friend to sell me his full harper series.

I have the whole series, myself... A couple of the books aren't worth the effort of acquiring, but most are, at the least, pretty good.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  17:30:21  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I have the whole series, myself... A couple of the books aren't worth the effort of acquiring, but most are, at the least, pretty good.

Which ones dont you think are worth the effort, Wooly? I have the complete collection and the only one I havent read is Finders Bane. Just curious as to which are your least favorite.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  18:01:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Which ones dont you think are worth the effort, Wooly? I have the complete collection and the only one I havent read is Finders Bane. Just curious as to which are your least favorite.

Soldiers of Ice, was, by far, my least fave of the group.

I didn't like Crypt of the Shadowking or Curse of the Shadowmage, either. Especially some of the characters' names... I seriously dislike repeated sounds in a first and last name. And no, that wasn't my only complaint, but it's the one that comes most readily to mind. I don't think I've read those books since they were published.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Aug 2004 18:03:50
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  19:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a dog-eaten copy of Once Around the Realms, a copy of Errand of Mercy with its cover removed, and several pages I tore out of a friend's copy of Sojourn.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  19:13:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I have a dog-eaten copy of Once Around the Realms, a copy of Errand of Mercy with its cover removed, and several pages I tore out of a friend's copy of Sojourn.

Errand of Mercy? Aroo? What's that about and who wrote it?

Edit: Nevermind, it's Star Trek. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 19 Aug 2004 19:14:39
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  19:21:40  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fourth Double Diamond Triangle Saga book. I forgot to mention my near-illegible photocopy of a proof copy of The Coral Kingdom, a few sentences copied out of Crown of Fire, and a beautiful new paperback of Come Endless Darkness. But that's all.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  19:48:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fourth Double Diamond Triangle Saga book.

Ah right, well there is a Star Trek book by that name also. :) I had forgotten about those Double Diamond novelettes, and it's been many years since I even looked at them.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  08:00:15  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Add another 2 (got them yesterday) onto my collection.

Does anyone know is Ed's A Dragons Ascention is a stand alone novel or part of a series?

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  14:21:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Err... A Dragon's Ascension is Book III of Ed's 'Band of Four' series for Tor. That can hardly be considered an FR novel...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  16:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe not, but no Realms novel collection is complete without Ed's excellent Aglirta books, which are more like the Realms (especially the early Realms, and places like the Border Kingdoms) than many a Realms-logoed novel.

The Kingless Land (2000)
The Vacant Throne (2001)
A Dragon's Ascension (2002)
The Dragon's Doom (2003)
The Silent House (2004)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  09:00:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting point, Faraer.

I can definitely see the similarites and possibilities for connections between the Realms, and the Aglirta. I might start re-reading through my Border Kingdoms tome, in the hope of identifying any actual connections that may now be evident given the amount of time that has passed since the articles from Poly.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  15:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not that the Aglirta baronies correspond to specific border kingdoms, but the overall feel and setup in those books -- freewheeling adventure, constant surprises (rather than what are now Realms institutions), shifting and contested petty realms, mostly human foes with monsters as spice -- is similar to the early Realms campaigns and, perhaps, to the Realms of the first half of the 14th century DR.

Your Border Kingdoms tome, like my copy, is missing entries for P-Z, no?
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  19:34:55  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just added 3 FR books to my collection:

Evermeet
Forsaken House
The Rage

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Moonharp
Acolyte

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  20:05:27  Show Profile  Visit Moonharp's Homepage Send Moonharp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember reading the Band of Four some time ago, and now, when I look back at it through a hazy veil (I do not remember all that much, as the novels were not the most favorite of mine) there are many simillarities between Aglitra and the Realms. However, I think this is a simillarity in a good way, instead of just copying because of lack of ideas. Somehow Aglitra reminds me most of the Dales, but I am not sure why.
I have not read the latest volume... is it good, or at least a decent continuation of the previous four? Since its Ed, I guess it is...
One of the things I liked the most in those books was the cover art .
As for my number of Realms books, I have very little, as it has been told to me since ever that buying books which you can get in the library is been a waste of money... a claim which I widely dissapprove of... I am making up for the my past lack... buying everything I find, even if it is mostly old tomes (hey, the writing is still the same)...
Perhaps when I win the lottery I will buy every single book, and in new version too...

Moonharp the Marvelous
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  20:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
[brI have the whole series, myself... A couple of the books aren't worth the effort of acquiring, but most are, at the least, pretty good.

I would say that Escape from Undermountain has to be the worst FR book I have read so far. I was looking forward to reading this to get a taste for Skullport and Undermountain, but was very dissapointed.

I think Paul Kemp painted a much better picture in the novel Dawn of Night, in the Cale Trilogy.

Regards

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  21:17:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moonharp
I have not read the latest volume... is it good, or at least a decent continuation of the previous four? Since its Ed, I guess it is...
One of the things I liked the most in those books was the cover art .

The 5th book basically details the Silvertree family, as well as the creation of the Silent House, amongst other things. I'm only on the second family member that's detailed though since I reread the previous 4 before starting book 5.

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Aug 2004 21:19:03
Go to Top of Page

konzer
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  21:41:21  Show Profile  Visit konzer's Homepage Send konzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

In what condition and for how much?

They are all in pretty good shape. The price is the dispute. Even though I can get them cheap if I do a search, I feel like it would just save myself the headache and time.

I already own all of Elaine's book from the series, trying to get a hold of the others. Even if most of them are eh, or worse... My goal, just like a lot of others is own all the books in the FR series.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2004 :  04:37:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Your Border Kingdoms tome, like my copy, is missing entries for P-Z, no?

Yes, it is. A shame really, although Ed makes up for that lacking, in the other areas of the Realmslore...

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Aug 2004 04:38:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000