Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 FR Ebooks(Legal)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gellion
Learned Scribe

140 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  02:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Gellion's Homepage Send Gellion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If it was perfectly legal, would you buy something like an FR Ebook? I would because for me finding a comfortable place to read an actual bok is hard. I always have to get up and stretch my neck because it gets all cramped. Not to mention you could do things like surf the web while you are reading the book.

"Paladine, you see the evil that surrounds me! You have been witness to the calamities that have been the scourge of Krynn... You must see now that this doctrine of balance will not work! I can sweep evil from this land. Destroy the ogre races. Bring the wayward humans into line! Find new homelands far away for the dwarves and the kender and the gnomes, those races not of your creation... I demand that you give me, too, the power to drive away the shadows of evil that darken the land!"- THE REIGN OF ISTAR, Tales IV

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  03:18:28  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is an FR ebook?

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"
Go to Top of Page

Gellion
Learned Scribe

140 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  03:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Gellion's Homepage Send Gellion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dantrag

What is an FR ebook?

It would be an online version of a Forgotten Realms book.

"Paladine, you see the evil that surrounds me! You have been witness to the calamities that have been the scourge of Krynn... You must see now that this doctrine of balance will not work! I can sweep evil from this land. Destroy the ogre races. Bring the wayward humans into line! Find new homelands far away for the dwarves and the kender and the gnomes, those races not of your creation... I demand that you give me, too, the power to drive away the shadows of evil that darken the land!"- THE REIGN OF ISTAR, Tales IV
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  03:42:55  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your telling me that you can read the whole thing...ONLINE!!

Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  03:58:51  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dantrag

Your telling me that you can read the whole thing...ONLINE!!

Thats what is being asked, would you you buy one if you could.

Personally, yes I would, if the price was not to bad.

$1.50 per novel would be about right, I'd pay more at a used book store for a hard copy, but would settle for an e version to ease search time.

Oh, are we talking a downloadable .pdf (or something similar) or access to a web page?
If I had to be online to read it, it would be of no use to me.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  04:38:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gellion

If it was perfectly legal, would you buy something like an FR Ebook?

I'd have many questions about purchasing such an item. However, even if everything was answered to my satisfaction, I doubt I'd buy an Ebook beyond the novelty of giving it a one time try. I like my actual physical books that I can hold in my hands and place on my shelves once finished.

quote:

I would because for me finding a comfortable place to read an actual bok is hard. I always have to get up and stretch my neck because it gets all cramped. Not to mention you could do things like surf the web while you are reading the book.

I more than understand the points you've made here. However, as for the latter, I don't want to surf or do anything else when I'm reading Realms fiction. I want the story to hold my attention so I can immerse myself into that fantasy world while I'm reading this piece of fiction.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  04:40:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin
Oh, are we talking a downloadable .pdf (or something similar) or access to a web page?

One of the many questions that I previously mentioned. Would the format allow for someone to print it out? Or would such a function be disabled or not allowed?
Go to Top of Page

Gellion
Learned Scribe

140 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  04:45:37  Show Profile  Visit Gellion's Homepage Send Gellion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure about the format. But it would have to be an easy to read one. As for wanting to just read the book. Well, I actually find it is easier to immerse myself in the story if I am more comfortabel. And like I said earlier it is impossible for me to be comfortable while reading a normal book. I would probably have read every FR book in existance if they were all available as Ebooks.

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  05:18:54  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Due to my living arrangements, something that can be stored in my harddrive as opposed to taking up space in my rapidly filling bookshelves would be preferable. On the other hand, I find it unpleasant to read something on-screen for an extended amount of time. Say, something 20k long, never mind a whole novel.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  05:38:24  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer a book. Staring at a screen for hours at tiny print isn't my preference.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  06:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you can always zoom in/out. It's not tiny print that bothers me; it's mostly the contrast between black and white, which is very sharp and very bright.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  06:09:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd not be inclined to buy them. I am another who prefers a good hardcopy in my hands.

I've not even done free downloads of stuff on the Wizards website. I want the actual book, not just a pdf.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  06:40:47  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An online ebook could have enormous potential for annotation; for example, when a town or forest is named, click on the title for a link to a map. Characters could be linked to character sheets, artwork--whatever. In a world as vast and long-lived as the Realms, layers of information and lore could be added to an online novel.

Some books would benefit more than others from annotation. A straight-forward quest novel or a story that focuses on the machinations of the drow wouldn't be a prime candidate, but consider the possibilities in a novel such as Evermeet.

That book was the synthesis of just about every scrap of elven lore I could find, and Realms buffs might enjoy "footnotes" listing FR and D&D sources. For example, the mythology chapter showing the battle between the elven and orc gods could have been linked to a page that summarized the various creation stories, with reference and pages for each. The chapter on spelljamming ships could have had lore for those Realms fans not versed in that particular magical technology. Events referred to but not depicted, such as the Crown Wars, could be illuminated by a brief history. Names of gods could be linked to a page about the elven pantheon. Characters that have appeared elsewhere could be linked to a list of other books and stories. And it would have been really, really nice to have a timeline.

I don't see this sort of thing happening any time soon, but I still find the possibilies intriguing.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  09:06:04  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldnt read a novel or such off a screen, but with sourcebooks it would be useful as an interactive reference (as Elaine pointed out being able to click on maps etc.). However, id still require the actual book to be able to read at my leisure wherever I may be.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  09:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

I couldnt read a novel or such off a screen, but with sourcebooks it would be useful as an interactive reference (as Elaine pointed out being able to click on maps etc.). However, id still require the actual book to be able to read at my leisure wherever I may be.

*hands Rad a PDA and memory stick*

There you go.

I would, but I'd also buy a hardcopy. Both have advantages over the other(text searching on the electronic version, the feel on the second). I read plenty of Ebooks these days-it's an odd day when I'm not opening at least one.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  10:16:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually can't understand why people object to ebooks so much. I practically swear by the Baen Free Library.

Lady Cunningham, if you ever manage an annotated version of Evermeet, I'll buy it.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Aeriden Raven
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  10:29:45  Show Profile  Visit Aeriden Raven's Homepage Send Aeriden Raven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As would I! When I started reading Evermeet I took notes for a while, making a glossary, but I stopped after about 50 pages, because it slowed down my reading too much. So an annotated Evermeet (electronic or not) certainly sounds very attractive.

But for the general idea of ebooks, I don't think they could ever replace the way my books smell, feel and look (I just love my large book case in the middle of my house, it really ties the room together ). Also, when I read a book, I want it to be my own book, so I can get it out of the book case every now and then, after I read it and look through it again, etc.

I do agree with the uncomfortableness of reading for hours and hours, so all I have tot do is to save up some money for a really really big and comfortable reading chair.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  11:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, of course I like regular books. I can literally spend hours in a bookstore (it irritates the heck out of my sire, the Spike Dragon ). I also have five bookcases squeezed next to my bed, desk, and dresser in my room, and more besides that in boxes. I even use the tops of my bookcases, desk, and dresser as extra shelves.

What can I say? I'm a Bookwyrm.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Jerard Doonsay
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  13:52:00  Show Profile  Visit Jerard Doonsay's Homepage Send Jerard Doonsay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.... probably yes. I think I would end up with 3 or 400 so FR Ebooks, but I would probably end up going and buying the actual books as well. Like they said, there is something just that much more satisfying about reading an actual book than off a screen. And it is easier to take it with you for most of the time, unless you got one of those Ebook readers. But that is a whole nother scroll.

May history live forever in the writings and stories of those who wish to tell them.

Please come and enjoy my website http://ferien.aribytes.org
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  14:25:41  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, even though there are many enhancements that one could achieve with an electronic version of a book (updates, notes, hyperlinks), until they invent a comfortable and easy way of carrying them with you, I would not buy them. I like to take my novels with me when I go to the park and on long flights. I know there is the PDA, but it does not feel like an adequate solution (small screen, active vs. passive light).

Besides, I already spend enough time looking at a computer screen (I'm a computer scientist). My wife would throw out my computer if I spent my time reading on it as well .

The Wanderer

Edited by - The Wanderer on 19 Jul 2004 14:33:01
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  14:30:19  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having PDFs of Realms novels would make searching for the Realmslore in them much easier.

Yay footnotes.

And what perplexes me is that the people who declaim how they couldn't ever read an ebook read an equal amount of text on webpages.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  15:53:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about both? If the hardcopy of a book included an e-copy on an enclosed CD-ROM, that'd be cool.

Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  17:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd not be inclined to buy them. I am another who prefers a good hardcopy in my hands.

I've not even done free downloads of stuff on the Wizards website. I want the actual book, not just a pdf.

Exactly...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  17:51:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

How about both? If the hardcopy of a book included an e-copy on an enclosed CD-ROM, that'd be cool.

Baen does that every so often; with some books, there'll be a free CD (which doesn't add to the price) of that book, as well as others. For instance, the first CD (Baen Free Library CD 1.0, aka The Honorverse Disc) had every single Honor Harrington book (then 13), the first two Weber fantasy books (number three wouldn't be published for a year and a half), and several other books that I might not have picked up otherwise, but now am so very glad I did. Such as the Belisarius (alternate history) books. The Shadow of the Lion was also intriguing (deliberate pun!), and another alternate history (though not dealing with a time travel aspect, as the first ones).

I think that the Baen Free Library has shown conclusively that cheap ebooks ($0, in their case) help boost sales for the dead-treee versions. Some authors haven't experienced noticeable hikes, but those seem to all be people already known on the market. On the other hand, other authors on the list have just soared -- some obviously through amazing writing (John Ringo is excellent, especially when you consider the fact that he didn't start until recently), but others have also gotten huge boosts.

I think the fact that they're free (and even don't need registration to download) works best ("Huh, that looks interesting" [save for later]), helping people realize whether or not they like the book ("Wow! That was excellent! I'm buying that!"); but requiring a minimal fee would still help spread the word ("Hmm, I'll buy three ebooks, what's best? Well, I'll try these . . . .") about what works. So people not sure about Elfshadow could buy an ebook for two or three dollars, read it, and find (of course ) that Elaine Cunningham is excellent and go out and buy every one of her books.

Unfortunately, I doubt WotC will do this. It's cynical, but they seem to subscribe to the "Increase profits by minimizing cost and maximizing price" business philosophy, rather than "Let our products be of the highest quality we can get, with the lowest price we can give and still stay in business" that I think works best. (For instance, all their game books seem at least five dollars overpriced, and that's irrespective of quality.)

And even if they weren't like that, most people don't think that lowering prices work. Or that the answer to all the problems with Internet piracy is, as Eric Flint put it, "Alles in ordnung!"

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  17:54:43  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmmm.... reading books on the web? Not really, In my view one of the most important thing of reading a book (not only FR) is the feeling of this book on your hand, touching the paper, even blowing the dust when you pick up an old one. Pass the hand over it's cover, open it slowly, ahhh... books, there's nothing like them. I prefer paying the whole price in a shope (specially an old one), that paying less, but lose my eyes in front of a computer screen or spending ink printing it.

Never, and never... the best things are the touchable things.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 19 Jul 2004 17:55:33
Go to Top of Page

Gellion
Learned Scribe

140 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  19:10:57  Show Profile  Visit Gellion's Homepage Send Gellion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another nice thing about an Ebook would be the ability to eat while you are reading. Okay, maybe I am the only one who finds that an advantage. I would also be able to put music on on my computer while I am reading, which would set the right mood.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  19:18:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gellion

Another nice thing about an Ebook would be the ability to eat while you are reading. Okay, maybe I am the only one who finds that an advantage. I would also be able to put music on on my computer while I am reading, which would set the right mood.

I do that quite oft, anyway. I always have music on when I'm at home, unless I'm watching TV or going to bed (I even have a shower radio). And I live alone and cook for myself, so reading while eating is no big deal. Some days, that's the only chance I get to do any reading.

Except for the odd munchy, I never eat while at my computer. So an ebook would be a disadvantage, there.

Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  22:17:37  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After spending the last 7 months of my life tracking down all of the FR novels, it would drive me insane is someone made them all available for download. Also books are wonderful things(apart from being made from trees!). It could help to spread the word of FR though so it's not a totally lost cause just not for me

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  22:46:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

After spending the last 7 months of my life tracking down all of the FR novels, it would drive me insane is someone made them all available for download.

I feel that way about some of the downloads on the Wizards page. A lot of that stuff, I paid full price for it when it was new.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  00:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might have some interesting applications in this field.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  00:39:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

This might have some interesting applications in this field.

That's pretty nifty... I'm sure it's rather pricy, though.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000