Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lolth or Lloth?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sirine Keyte
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  15:53:14  Show Profile  Visit Sirine Keyte's Homepage Send Sirine Keyte a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have seen both in the books, yet I do not know which really is the 'official' spelling. Does anyone know??

"Matron, Matron! Rizzen hit me and called me a rothe!!"

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  15:57:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sirine Keyte

I have seen both in the books, yet I do not know which really is the 'official' spelling. Does anyone know??

Don't worry if you get them confused....I've seen each spelling so many times I just refer to her as the Spider Queen.

However, the latest novel in the WOTSQ calls her Lolth. This spelling matches the spelling in the FRCS. Thus, I'd go with that.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  16:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lolth, Lolth, Lolth, and Lolth.

1978: Gary Gygax establishes Lolth
1987: Forgotten Realms Campaign Set establishes Lolth in the Realms
1988: Bob Salvatore (mis)spells her 'Lloth' in The Crystal Shard; it sticks in his books
1995: 'Lloth' used in Elaine Cunningham's partly Menzoberranzan-set Liriel books
1998: Demihuman Deities confirms the rationalization that Lloth is a regional spelling of Menzoberranzan and Uluitur
~2002: Wizards of the Coast largely removes the variant as part of the effort to simplify spelling

Edited by - Faraer on 14 Jul 2004 16:25:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  17:13:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

1988: Bob Salvatore (mis)spells her 'Lloth' in The Crystal Shard; it sticks in his books
1995: 'Lloth' used in Elaine Cunningham's partly Menzoberranzan-set Liriel books
1998: Demihuman Deities confirms the rationalization that Lloth is a regional spelling of Menzoberranzan and Uluitur
~2002: Wizards of the Coast largely removes the variant as part of the effort to simplify spelling

~late 2004: People still occasionally get confused about the Lolth/Lloth thing. WotC, in yet another pointless ret-con, changes her name to Louise Dark-chic. When fans complain, they are told "Her name has always been Louise Dark-chic, it's just that no one knew about it."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  17:48:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
~late 2004: People still occasionally get confused about the Lolth/Lloth thing. WotC, in yet another pointless ret-con, changes her name to Louise Dark-chic. When fans complain, they are told "Her name has always been Louise Dark-chic, it's just that no one knew about it."

It's a little known fact, but Lolth recently went silent in an FR novel series simply because she was tired of all the confusion regarding her name.

Sad, but true. Wait til Paul Kemp's novel and see for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  17:51:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You also forget RA calls her Lloth over and over in the Menzoberanzan box set. But the rest are right, it's just a regional name of her in the northern part of Faerun.

Don't discuss this with SKR though cause he doesn't believe "Lloth" is official and he'll rant at you.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  18:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the forums first started I posed the same question...getting no answers I did my own little bit of research. Faraer is actually the first to propose my suspicions on how the confusion started...but the origins of any being called Lloth/Lolth I believe outdate even Master Gygax(anyone know how his health is holding up since the "stroke" BTW?)

According to Angelic History, the name Lolth is a derivative of a being mentioned in Apocryphal texts called Lilith (remember Frasier's wife?).

From Godwin's Angels: An Endangered Species: "Lilith: The feisty, wild first wife of Adam, who spurned both God and his male creation is said to be Satan's favorite wife. While demons do live long they are not immortal but Lilith has the distinction, according to the Zohar, of continuing 'to exist and plague man until the Messianic day.'".

Different Canaanite spellings then morphed the name into "Lolth", and I actually caught sight of it in other texts of the same sort which refer to Lilith as "Lloth of the Lillen", the "Lillen" being her offspring which she makes by having sex with priests as they sleep.

......well....I think it's interesting...particularly when one looks at the parallels between Lloth's betrayal of Larethian and Lilith's rejection of God: both result in eternities in the Abyss, and both figures eventually attain new heights as demonic powers and Abyssal creatures, allowing them to continue to thumb their noses at the powers they once spurned...

But of course, Elaine Cunningham is just going to say that I'm out of my mind and that the story of Lloth's demise has nothing to do with musty old religious texts.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  09:45:32  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only seen her refered as Lolth. In many places, so games, novels and some D&D pages.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  12:54:40  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting - thanks Faraer.

quote:

Nice one Wooly.

quote:

When the forums first started I posed the same question...getting no answers I did my own little bit of research. Faraer is actually the first to propose my suspicions on how the confusion started...but the origins of any being called Lloth/Lolth I believe outdate even Master Gygax(anyone know how his health is holding up since the "stroke" BTW?)

According to Angelic History, the name Lolth is a derivative of a being mentioned in Apocryphal texts called Lilith (remember Frasier's wife?).

From Godwin's Angels: An Endangered Species: "Lilith: The feisty, wild first wife of Adam, who spurned both God and his male creation is said to be Satan's favorite wife. While demons do live long they are not immortal but Lilith has the distinction, according to the Zohar, of continuing 'to exist and plague man until the Messianic day.'".

Different Canaanite spellings then morphed the name into "Lolth", and I actually caught sight of it in other texts of the same sort which refer to Lilith as "Lloth of the Lillen", the "Lillen" being her offspring which she makes by having sex with priests as they sleep.

......well....I think it's interesting...particularly when one looks at the parallels between Lloth's betrayal of Larethian and Lilith's rejection of God: both result in eternities in the Abyss, and both figures eventually attain new heights as demonic powers and Abyssal creatures, allowing them to continue to thumb their noses at the powers they once spurned...

But of course, Elaine Cunningham is just going to say that I'm out of my mind and that the story of Lloth's demise has nothing to do with musty old religious texts.

It's all about interpretation - if to you it is a comparison, then your evidence backs it up very nicely. I certainly like the idea.

For me, I never liked Lloth - plain and simple. It just didn't sound as scary as Lolth.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  11:30:45  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't you just hate type-O's. It really gets confusing sometines.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  21:07:04  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

It's a little known fact, but Lolth recently went silent in an FR novel series simply because she was tired of all the confusion regarding her name.

King of Sarcasticness at his best, everyone

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  22:39:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dantrag

quote:

quote:

King of Sarcasticness at his best, everyone

Which one of us were you referring to?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  03:08:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It has to be you, I'm a ray of sunshine not sarcasm.

I wonder if at the end of WOTSQ, Lolth will put forth a decree on how she wishes to be referred to henceforth.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  05:59:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It has to be you, I'm a ray of sunshine not sarcasm.

You just keep telling yourself that, my delusional friend.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6653 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  08:25:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want FR typos, just look at the fold-up map they included with the old FR9 Bloodstone Lands accessory. Absolutely awful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick the Nightblade
Acolyte

37 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  16:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Aldrick the Nightblade's Homepage Send Aldrick the Nightblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would they even have two different ways to spell it in the first place?

"Turn your face to the shadows, and let the sun fall behind you"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  16:24:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick the Nightblade

I think the reason for the variations was explained in a previous scroll within this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  17:27:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick the Nightblade

I think the reason for the variations was explained in a previous scroll within this thread.

I quote myself from earlier in this thread when I replied to Faraer: "You also forget RA calls her Lloth over and over in the Menzoberanzan box set. But the rest are right, it's just a regional name of her in the northern part of Faerun."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  00:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think Lolth just looks and sounds better as far as spelling goes. And to the best of my knowledge, it's the most commonly used way of spelling it. As such, I think I'll stick to that, however, as has been said, it could be interpreted as a regional spelling thing, and as thus both are acceptable in my books, however, as I said, I'll stick to spelling it as Lolth.

K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000