Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Grandstaff
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  03:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering what this item is does it exist I remeber Elminster mentoning it and that Halaster Blackcloak has. if it is real what does it do any stats? please tell.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  03:52:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's real but hasn't got stats - yet. Maybe the upcoming "Waterdeep" sourcebook can illuminate us all.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  05:17:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I may ask, were was the 'Grandstaff' originally mentioned?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  06:41:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was originally mentioned in a few throwaway FR sentences from Steven Schend in a bunch of scattered places - the old TSR FR website frontpiece flavour quote (which also mentioned the Seven Imaskarna and Jhauraq "the Paragon Blade") and the small article in Dragon that showcased the upcoming Volo's Guide to Waterdeep IIRC - a long time ago now. He might also have snuck it in to the Dragon article on the Harpers: "I Sing a Song by Deepwater Bay".

Steven always did know just that bit too much about the Mad Mage of Undermountain.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  07:00:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I recall the reference in "I Sing a Song by Deepwater Bay". Though I don't have the issue. George, do you have the relevant issue number that the article was published in?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  07:26:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was Dragon #211, p.29.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  08:13:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually have that article as a Word document... A quick scan of the file reveals no mention of the Grandstaff.

Hitting the Dragon Magazine Archive CDs, I only find the word Grandstaff once, and that's as the last name of a real-world person.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  08:20:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it possible that George was mistaken about the reference...?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  09:43:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Archive CDs? That sounds like something I should pick up one of these days . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  09:49:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll probably need to send a few prayers to Tymora then. These archive CDs are very hard to find in some countries.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  11:35:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blast. If they're that old, then with my luck even if I found them they wouldn't work. Same thing happened with the CD archive National Geographic magazines my father gave me. They only work on Win95.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  15:01:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually know of a way around that little 'issue'. Contact me via ethereal mail. I'd much rather discuss such topics outside of the halls of Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  15:35:09  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dragon Magazine Archive is still available from some retailers, such as SVGames.com. By far the best-value RPG product ever published.

Edited by - Faraer on 03 Jul 2004 15:35:43
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  16:22:32  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It was originally mentioned in a few throwaway FR sentences from Steven Schend in a bunch of scattered places - the old TSR FR website frontpiece flavour quote (which also mentioned the Seven Imaskarna and Jhauraq "the Paragon Blade") and the small article in Dragon that showcased the upcoming Volo's Guide to Waterdeep IIRC - a long time ago now. He might also have snuck it in to the Dragon article on the Harpers: "I Sing a Song by Deepwater Bay".

While I buried a lot of lore into that article (and thanks for remembering it, by the by), I couldn't find the Grandstaff info there. I finally found it in CLOAK & DAGGER, under the duties of the tel'teu'kiira (Moonstars):

"Other questionable missions involve stealing (or planting) relics, artifacts, and items to reapportion them to whom Khelben deems appropriate (sometimes the agent herself). Items hunted and recovered (or released) by the Moonstars include two of the Seven Swords of the Shoon, the Tapestry of Saint Alaric, the Grand Staff of Hilather, and the Black Gauntlet of Bane’s Vengeance."

Just an odd note, but I think I put more info on the Gauntlet into Sea of Fallen Stars, but I can't recall if it made it into the final print or not.

This thread made me think about discussions I've had with Bryon Wischstadt and Eric Boyd over the years, one of whom would alternately threaten to compile a list of all the named items I'd seeded throughout the Realms and force me to generate more material on them beyond the name. If someone were to make that list (and please tell me where the original reference was from, to give me some context as to where my thoughts were going or coming from), I might just be able to scribble out something fun for ye olde Candlekeep visitors....

And for the record, the Grand Staff of Hilather is a 86 inch long staff of white ash that seems twisted and knotted (as in tied, not covered in knots). At the top of the staff, the twists become one big whorl, leaving a cavity through which four gems spin and float. These are not ioun stones but something different as their shapes and colors shift depending on the time of day, depth beneath the earth, and the presence of certain types of magics and extraplanar creatures. As for what it does.....

quote:

Steven always did know just that bit too much about the Mad Mage of Undermountain.

Probably, George.... The Mad Mage is dear to me, as the Ruins of Undermountain box was the first time I'd worked on the Realms and got to know Ed Greenwood, so it'll always have special memories for me, as will City of Splendors. I'm still a little disappointed that they put hair on him, though (in the 3E FRCS); I wanted him to stand out visually from the other big wizards so I made him bald with a beard. Now he looks like an unkempt Elminster. <shrug> Still a good illo, though....

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  16:52:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
...I might just be able to scribble out something fun for ye olde Candlekeep visitors....

And for the record, the Grand Staff of Hilather is a 86 inch long staff of white ash that seems twisted and knotted (as in tied, not covered in knots). At the top of the staff, the twists become one big whorl, leaving a cavity through which four gems spin and float. These are not ioun stones but something different as their shapes and colors shift depending on the time of day, depth beneath the earth, and the presence of certain types of magics and extraplanar creatures. As for what it does.....

Impressive...

Now, if only we could pry the secrets from the Mad Schend about what the staff actually does. But then, I guess we have DMs who will likely fill in those particular details...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  17:54:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Blast. If they're that old, then with my luck even if I found them they wouldn't work. Same thing happened with the CD archive National Geographic magazines my father gave me. They only work on Win95.

The GUI interface works just fine on my machine, and I'm running ME (yes, I am to be pitied for that). And even if it didn't, all the issues are on the CDs in .pdf format. I usually find what issue I'm looking for, and then close the program and open the .pdf directly.

I lucked out and got my Archive CDs on clearance. TSR was dumping them off at a really nice price, and I jumped on it. Ditto for the Interactive Atlas.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2004 :  03:09:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
The GUI interface works just fine on my machine, and I'm running ME (yes, I am to be pitied for that). And even if it didn't, all the issues are on the CDs in .pdf format. I usually find what issue I'm looking for, and then close the program and open the .pdf directly.

Hmmm... interesting. The alternative I was suggesting was simply just deleting a line in the system's registry. That would allow the CD to be used as is. But, I think I prefer your alternative Wooly. There's less chance for those who are not completely computer literate to make a mistake and delete the wrong line...

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  13:14:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arguably the Master Staff of Halastar Blackcloak is the same item. See Dragon #213, page 98.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  19:47:25  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just for fun... Has its powers been stated or been written somewhere?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  20:11:57  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those of you trying to make your old Dragon Mag cds work, you can just copy the program file and run it from your hard drive. I know this works on all windows versions up to XP. I have no idea where those CDs are any more or I'd check Win 7 for you.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  20:14:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as buying a copy of the archive? That is VERY pricy these days - a quick check on amazon have the collection ranging from 155 dollars to 275 dollars - all used. I'd suggest you use DragonDex (the online index) instead - it includes more issues anyways.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  20:42:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only have print issues, all the single and double digits, all the triples up to final-3E stuff. Terribly difficult to locate specific information sometimes; but I'm confident that it's the original, bona fide, authentic, unadulterated, unedited, uncensored content.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2013 :  21:24:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not actually installed the Dragon Magazine Archive in a long time... The issues of Dragon are all pdfs; I just copied those to my hard drive.

And wow, I didn't realize I was still running ME as late as 2004... That post must hgave been shortly before the system crashed and I jumped on XP.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  02:06:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And wow, I didn't realize I was still running ME as late as 2004... That post must hgave been shortly before the system crashed and I jumped on XP.
Heh. I've still got machines running Win95, NT, and, Win98, as part of the SageNetwork of SagePuters in the SageCave.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  16:08:51  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ME was the worst OS I have ever used... one night i just crashed. FOr no reason.

It says nothing in DRAGON #213 page 98 about the staff, exept for the note, that it is far the most powerful staff/artifact on he face of Toril...
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  20:20:41  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After downloading some very nice books from Phasai on deviant art I found the one called IMASKAR to contain a write up of "The Grand Staff of Omanond"

Could this be the one staff? Forged by the dark lord Sau.. ohh wrong story...

The Grand Staff is an 86 inch long staff of white ash that seems twisted and knotted (as in tied, not covered in knots). At the top of the staff, the twists become one big whorl, leaving a cavity through which four gems spin and float. These are not ioun stones but something different as their shapes and colors shift depending on the time of day, depth beneath the earth, and the presence of certain types of magics and extraplanar creatures. This series magic item was created by the Batrachi at the height of their powers during the heady days of the Kolophoon Empire. It came to Lord Artificer Omanond as a gift from his Batrachi mentors in the ruins of old Bilbalanongrapp, deep beneath the city of Inupras.
The staff itself taps into the magical powers of many different dimensions thus being outside anything to do with the weave. In fact its very nature means that the staff exists on more than one plane and in more than one dimension at a time. The staff is made up of 9 parts that when combined make it more powerful than any staff wielded by those who walk the Realms Above or Below.
The four knotted white ash rods are in reality a Staff of Wizardry, rods of Absorption & Cancellation and a staff of Thunder and Lightning. The four gems each hold the powers as greater elemental rings, with each being able to store 4 spells of any level as determined by the caster.
The enclosed metallic tip piece acts like a cubic gate and the butt plate holds the powers of a ring of teleportation (self +50 pounds per level). The staff has the power to manipulate reality so that when used in its fully combined state it contains all known portal spells and transportation powers. It has the ability to create and shape extra dimensional spaces linking them via keyed portals to other such spaces. Specific Powers used 3/day at 25th level are:
Plane Shift, Astral Flight, Gate, Duo-Dimension, Astral Projection, Dimension Door, Probability Travel, Create Extra-Dimensional Space (100 cubic feet per level), Weave (shadow weave) Magic Reflection, Dimensional Trigger, Dimensional Vortex, Dimensional Lock, Summon Elemental Creature (all 101 known elemental types available), Reweave,
Barrier Reaver and Dimensional Barrier. There are many other unknown powers that are discovered the longer the wielder has the staff in their possession.
Spells cast from the staff draw upon powers outside any power connected with Faerun, how this happens is a mystery lost with the ancient Batrachi magi. Any magic launched from the staff ignores any magical defences or prohibitions based upon weave/shadow weave based magic. So +4 elf chain is simple elf chain, a ring of spell turning is useless. Thus only anti-magic shells, where all magic is negated are any real defence against the powers of the staff.
Lord Omanond linked it to the seven Imaskarcana so that the wielder of the staff can find each if it is ever lost, but only if the bearer is of Imaskari royal blood.

How "true" would we deem this writeup???

PS. Thanks a million to Phasai for some great "books"!!!

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 06 Jun 2013 08:17:08
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2013 :  04:12:44  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently read about that staff too. It's quite the hunk of wood!

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000