Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Another Deity question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jarren Longblade
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  10:01:23  Show Profile  Visit Jarren Longblade's Homepage Send Jarren Longblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As I seek to enlarge my knowledge of the Gods I pester the great scrollmasters of Candlekeep with yet another question

Is it possible for Gods to have children?? Everybody knows that Kelvemore and Mystra were lovers and still might be would it be possible for them to have a child and if they did what would its Divine Rank be?

One of the few thing you don't want to hear while deer hunting with your brother-in-law "DUCK"

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  10:06:21  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It absolutely is possible for gods assuming mortal form to have children with their mortal consorts; this is the case for the Seven Sisters. It's not clear whether there are divine "rules" governing whether deities can have children. It should be noted, however, that none of the current deities are truly the offspring of other deities, though some are rumored to be (Eldath and Mielikki, for example, are considered daughters of Silvanus, the latter also of Halani Celanil).

Should such a union ever produce issue, the divine rank of the child would almost certainly be 0. It would be limited to 0 unless Ao determined that there was a need to be filled by a new deity in the pantheon, in which case the divine child could grow in power as his legend and worship grew.
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  10:15:15  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It all depends. I would say that having it be a semi divine being with divine rank 0 would be about as far as I would go. I mean, if two CEOs have a kid, the kid ain't born with a position in their company. Thus the child would likely inherit no items ijn a portfolio.

I would likely make the kid be born human, as if Kel and Ariel had had the kid, not the two gods they later become. The child then has the spark of divinity that could easily be fanned until it flared into godhood, wer the right conditions to be met.

Just thinking though, if I were to to do something along these lines, I would have some horrible attack from Shar cause a divine miscairrage, resulting in an Atropal(ELH), that is secreted away by shar, and nourished directly from the shadow weave, like a umbellicus filling it with evil power and spite.

However, of course, the godling becomes perhaps too powerful forshar to control, and as it finally comes to full sentience it wrests total control over the shadow weave from Shar, and filled wit ha hatred for both of it's parents it seeks to actively destroy them, even if doing so brings all of creation crashing down around it.

But that's just me.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  11:08:06  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course they can, remember the TroTime of Troubles, and the prophecies of Bhaal.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 16 Jun 2004 11:13:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  14:56:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say that the deities could have kids with each other... After all, at least one deity was imported from the Greek pantheon, and they had kids...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  17:15:32  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of note here, the Drow god Selvetarm is the child of the Drow god Vhaeraun and Goddes Zandilar(now part of Sharess).
So Lolth's champian is also her grandchild.

Edited by - AlacLuin on 16 Jun 2004 18:29:47
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  17:22:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

Of note here, the Drow god Selvetarm is the child of the Drow goddess Vhaeraun and Goddes Zandilar(now part of Sharess).
So Lolth's champian is also her grandchild.

Yes, the Drow pantheon defintely has a twisted family angle that makes things even more interesting in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  17:35:49  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Especially in relation to the Seldarine (The Lolth/Corellon and Corellon/Eilistraee/Vhaeraun set is intriguing, and look - Corellon is also Selvetarm's grandad! Lol!) and Sharess.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  17:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't judge the drow. It get's lonely down in the underdark. And it is dark down there, someties you can't see who it is until it's too late.

Besides, the drow musical instrument(the Ban'jo) sounds so great in underdark acoustics that this kind of thing was bound to happen.

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  18:15:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

Especially in relation to the Seldarine (The Lolth/Corellon and Corellon/Eilistraee/Vhaeraun set is intriguing, and look - Corellon is also Selvetarm's grandad! Lol!) and Sharess.

Yes, I'm very curious to see the conclusion of WOTSQ and see what changes are coming for members of this divine family.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  18:17:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Capn Charlie

Don't judge the drow. It get's lonely down in the underdark. And it is dark down there, someties you can't see who it is until it's too late.

Besides, the drow musical instrument(the Ban'jo) sounds so great in underdark acoustics that this kind of thing was bound to happen.

Nice Jerry Springer touch there. Only problem is most of these divine connections were established long before the drow were pushed into the Underdark.
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  18:26:51  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know, but it was either my Deliverance Drow gag, or the old chestnut about why elves really so frail and physically weak as a race. And I am sure everyone is sick ot that one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000