Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Kingdom of Oldonnar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  08:49:37  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Oldonnar, home of the rare Urdunnir. This place is mentioned in both Races of Faerun and p.18 of the Player's Guide to Faerun (under the "Dwarf, Oldonnar" entry)

The text mentions that this realm is located under the Alamir Mountains... I looked everywhere in the Underdark book and within my Electronic FR Atlas, but to no avail. I'm sure I must have missed it, but then again this could be a new place. All I know is that it is somewhere whithin the "Underdark [Old Shanatar]" region (from PGtoF p.18)

Can anyone point me to the right place?

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  17:09:39  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Oldonnar, home of the rare Urdunnir. This place is mentioned in both Races of Faerun and p.18 of the Player's Guide to Faerun (under the "Dwarf, Oldonnar" entry)

The text mentions that this realm is located under the Alamir Mountains... I looked everywhere in the Underdark book and within my Electronic FR Atlas, but to no avail. I'm sure I must have missed it, but then again this could be a new place. All I know is that it is somewhere whithin the "Underdark [Old Shanatar]" region (from PGtoF p.18)

Can anyone point me to the right place?

The Alimirs are the mountains on the western shores of the Lake of Steam, formerly the home of tons of beholder hives in times past.

Steven Schend

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  20:05:07  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Steven!

So, they got the spelling wrong in both the PGtoF and RoF hey? (i.e. "Alamir Mountains")
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  20:18:19  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some more on the region - though not on Oldonnar - can be read in Lands of Intrigue (pdf file on WotC. Regional information can also be found in Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark. Both sources are 2nd edition, and the Drizzt's Guide has information on the Urdunnir and their hidden kingdom.

Note: A lot of geographical information in Lands of Intrigue is no longer valid with the appearance of the 3e map of Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  20:36:00  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Some more on the region - though not on Oldonnar - can be read in Lands of Intrigue (pdf file on WotC. Regional information can also be found in Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark. Both sources are 2nd edition, and the Drizzt's Guide has information on the Urdunnir and their hidden kingdom.

Note: A lot of geographical information in Lands of Intrigue is no longer valid with the appearance of the 3e map of Faerun.

Thanks a lot Mumadar! I'll take the dust off my old DGttU and take a peak in the Lands of Intrigue PDF. I have both, so I'm ashamed I didn't think to look there first...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  20:39:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'll take the dust off my old DGttU and take a peak in the Lands of Intrigue PDF. I have both, so I'm ashamed I didn't think to look there first...

Don't be ashamed. There is quite a large amount of stuff to consider when pondering a location, name, etc. within the Realms. The OCD part of me longs dearly for a Master Index of all Realms products.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  21:45:19  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master index hmm? something like we see in most encyclopedias with a large number of volumes... this kind of Master FR Product Index would be awesome. We'd have to rule out novels though, otherwise this would take decades...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  22:39:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
We'd have to rule out novels though, otherwise this would take decades...

Good point. Novels would tack on years to such a task.
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  23:11:35  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
We'd have to rule out novels though, otherwise this would take decades...

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Good point. Novels would tack on years to such a task.

I am on with creating this list, and yes I am serious. Just think on how easy it would be to find a location after that.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  23:36:14  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are crazy! this will take years!!! at least try to get paid for it by making this a non-profit organization where people can donate for your efforts! (you'll be able to claim your rent, electricity, internet, car payments and many other bills this way! )

Edit: Make sure everything is kosher in regards to Sweden's tax system though, for I heard that you guys are the most taxed people in the world... perhaps expert accounting advice should be sought, for you do not want to make a mistake with people normally entitled to take more than half of your income away!!

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 29 May 2004 23:39:14
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  01:25:48  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You are crazy! this will take years!!! at least try to get paid for it by making this a non-profit organization where people can donate for your efforts! (you'll be able to claim your rent, electricity, internet, car payments and many other bills this way! )

Edit: Make sure everything is kosher in regards to Sweden's tax system though, for I heard that you guys are the most taxed people in the world... perhaps expert accounting advice should be sought, for you do not want to make a mistake with people normally entitled to take more than half of your income away!!

Yes we are indeed, but then again we get free healthcare, and we dont have to pay 30000$ to go to college and University. Hey I would do it for free, hell I am living for free at the moment so what would be the change.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  18:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

The only "good" use I have ever though of for that map is to have the players buy a copy - and then deal with it being a poor reflection of reality (it was either that, or kindling for campfires. . . .)

Lysander
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  18:19:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lysander
The only "good" use I have ever though of for that map is to have the players buy a copy - and then deal with it being a poor reflection of reality (it was either that, or kindling for campfires. . . .)

Lysander

LOL! That's one way to deal with it and a smart one too given how unreliable some maps can be in FR.
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  19:50:45  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

LOL! That's one way to deal with it and a smart one too given how unreliable some maps can be in FR.

Unreliable? You're being downright charitable! I was on the phone with a friend(who also "DM's" a stalled FR campaign) when I found their meddlin' with the Vilhon Reach. With all the swearing and howling I did over that, I'm surprised I didn't get hung up on. (Note to self - make sure you use ONE map to lay things out, unless you know all maps are compatable!) Using it as a 'player map' should be interesting:

Player 1(With Map): "We have to go north to reach the city."
Player 2: "Look, if we go NORTH, we'll be under water!"
Player 1: "That's not what this map says!"
Player 3 (Exasperated): "What're you gonna trust, blockhead? The map that that &$(# merchant sold us - that hasn't been right yet - or yer own eyes??"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000