Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Starting a Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jarren Longblade
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  19:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Jarren Longblade's Homepage Send Jarren Longblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am getting ready to start a new campaign in FR was wondering if i should start in Silver Marches, Shadowdale, or Cormyr. My players don't like to RP more hack and slash? Any suggestion would be helpful

One of the few thing you don't want to hear while deer hunting with your brother-in-law "DUCK"

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  19:33:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jarren Longblade

I am getting ready to start a new campaign in FR was wondering if i should start in Silver Marches, Shadowdale, or Cormyr. My players don't like to RP more hack and slash? Any suggestion would be helpful

Put it in the Silver Marches, I hear there is a big uprising of orcs under King Obould Many-Arrows. Have your players set within this story and they should be able to hack and slash to their hearts content.

Bonus points from me if you see a dark elf with scimitars in the area and take him out.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  20:05:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some parts of Cormyr would be suitable, as well, with all the recent turmoil they've had.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  21:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that it depends on a few other things. Do you have a lot of FR material? Do you have Silver Marches and have you downloaded the old 1# and 2E stuff from the websites? Do you have a lot of old modules, Dungeon magazines, or do you plan on making it up yourself? What stuff are you looking for?

The Silver Marches is great for having 3E stuff for a new FR game. If you have some of the old 2E stuff, it can really help. Volo's Guide to the North would be good. You might not have a lot of modules that were ready-made for FR to drop in, but it couldn't be too hard to drop in any other sources that you might have.

Do you have the old 2E stuff for Cormyr or the Dalelands? Those are great sourcebooks, as well. You can almost build a campaign just on what is in those books. Do you have the other products as well? Do you have the old Daggerdale modules series? You could start off with that.

I guess the trick is what type of adventures do you want to run? Do you have some already made that you want to adapt to your campaign? If you do, then which of them would fit in which area easier? All three places are great to use. Which one strikes you? Personally, I have always been in favor of the Dalelands. Some people really like the Silver Marches and want to use that sourcebook. What resources do you have and want to use?
Go to Top of Page

Jarren Longblade
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  03:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Jarren Longblade's Homepage Send Jarren Longblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the old gray campaign setting box for FR also the Dalelands Gray box. I have for 3e Silver Marches and the Campaign setting book. Have no FR modules to run. Like I said I have tried to run RP games with this group but they only want to fight and gain treasure and XP. I was thinking mainly using Silver Marches due to the Monster population, and the Mountians surrounding the area that could lead underground to caves and treasure.

One of the few thing you don't want to hear while deer hunting with your brother-in-law "DUCK"
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  03:49:07  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have the old gray campaign setting box for FR also the Dalelands Gray box. I have for 3e Silver Marches and the Campaign setting book. Have no FR modules to run. Like I said I have tried to run RP games with this group but they only want to fight and gain treasure and XP. I was thinking mainly using Silver Marches due to the Monster population, and the Mountians surrounding the area that could lead underground to caves and treasure.

Sounds like a plan to me. There is a tome on the WoTC homepage conserning Cormyr, you might want to check it out if you don't have it. There is also "Volo's Guide to the Dalelands.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr9486.zip

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr9524.zip

But since you have the Silver Marches accessori I suggest you use that and come up with something hellish for your players to face of against.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  04:20:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you go here, you'll find The North Boxed set and Volo's Guide to the North available for free download. Those two items along with the Silver Marches book should give you plenty of information to run a campaign in the North.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 29 May 2004 04:21:19
Go to Top of Page

Jarren Longblade
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  04:24:29  Show Profile  Visit Jarren Longblade's Homepage Send Jarren Longblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hymm and SIrius for the download site has excellent info on it.

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  04:39:00  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You are welcome, if you need any more help with the campaign the scribes of Candlkeep are yours to command. "Right fellas"

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  04:45:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're welcome. Let us know how the campaign turns out.
Go to Top of Page

Jarren Longblade
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  05:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Jarren Longblade's Homepage Send Jarren Longblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will do plan to start in about 1 week from Saturday

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000