Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Moonrise & Moonset
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

520 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2024 :  03:49:46  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been giving a lot of thought to lighting in my games lately and it occurred to me I had no clue how moonrise and moonset work in the real world let alone the Realms. Some research brought me to the conclusion it's very complicated and just look it up. It isn't a nice pattern like phases.

So that brings me to the Realms what do people use for determining if Selune is risen? I use a Realms web calculator for sunrise/set and weather to help keep things consistent in case I run multiple quests that overlap timewise.

Suggestions? Or do people just hand wave it.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2024 :  09:29:14  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As you know, in RL sometimes the Moon is visible in daytime. Do you want that? Would you prefer the Moon only rise at dusk and set around dawn? Then make it so, Number One! (This post is light-hearted and just a wild suggestion... I have NO idea if Moon behavior in the Realms has already been Canonized!!)
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

520 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2024 :  13:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my head the Selune's rise and set would function similarly to Earth's moon. So yes the moon is often out during the day. I was wondering if others used some simplified yearly cycle. Or maybe it's even simpler than that, Selune is larger maybe it's orbit is different too, yielding more consistent rising and setting.

I doubt it's ever been set down in canon. Though some of the authors may have thoughts on this topic, telling a story over the course of a night or describing a scene when Selune may or may not be out.

I could go bother Ed but he's a busy guy.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

520 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2024 :  13:32:39  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So looking for more information I realized that Selune's spin and orbit are equal. Much like Earth's moon, why we only ever see one side of it. But what I found interesting is that the cycle is every 30 days, 10 hours, and 30 minutes. That is the same as the full moon cycle.

For reference Earth's moon is different, spin is ~27.5 days. Full moon cycle is ~29.5 days. I got to think on this a bit, I'm not an astronomer by any stretch.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000