Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Old Empires vs. Lost Empires of Faerūn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2024 :  00:17:11  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm wondering about these two books as I am preparing a campaign set in this region. My prospective players are interested in the region where the Old Empires is set. A lot of them say that it would be interesting to campaign in this region.

So, fellow sages, I have a question. Before I go on my own to develop my campaign, and I have both books, which of these are most useful? Are both of them useful?

I wanted to do a Sword and Sorcery campaign in the Forgotten Realms. Although one of my prospective players is thinking it's Sword and Sandal. For a Sword and Sorcery campaign, the Old Empires region fits my plans.

Although according to one source, Mulhorand might be building up it's army again for campaigning in Faerūn. They might attack Thay in the future. So, fellow sages, what do you suggest?

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2474 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2024 :  03:27:16  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old Empires is more focused on the nations, but Lost Empires is more advanced in the timeline. It also has interesting ruins and stuff, not only of the Old Empires, but from many ancient civilizations of Faerūn.

As for the Mulhorandi campaign, that depends on when in the timeline you decide to play.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2024 :  06:57:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’d also recommend giving the human section of “Races of Faerūn“ and “Unapproachable East” a look-see as well for some juicy Old Empires/Mulhorandi tidbits.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11817 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2024 :  00:37:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, it all depends.... what era are you running? If prior to the spellplague, you should have both Old Empires and it can't hurt to have Lost Empires of Faerun. They both serve different purposes and come from different editions of the game though. So, the stories they're telling are also at different times.

If its in the 4e era, Mulhorand is basically gone and different people live there.

If its in the 5e era, Mulhorand is back, but its people have changed significantly. For one thing, they have abolished slavery.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

EltonRobb
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2024 :  14:53:17  Show Profile Send EltonRobb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

So, it all depends.... what era are you running? If prior to the spellplague, you should have both Old Empires and it can't hurt to have Lost Empires of Faerun. They both serve different purposes and come from different editions of the game though. So, the stories they're telling are also at different times.

If its in the 4e era, Mulhorand is basically gone and different people live there.

If its in the 5e era, Mulhorand is back, but its people have changed significantly. For one thing, they have abolished slavery.

I'm setting the game in 1369 DR.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000