Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Saurian Snifter of Salubrious Smellsong
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11800 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2024 :  15:41:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In a dark room in the bowels of candlekeep, a sudden pearlescent glow infused a crystalline orb held between the forged metal teeth of smiling faerie dragon figurines with purple chrome bodies and individualized, stained glass, butterfly wings. The interior of the crystal ball appeared to be filled with swirling pink smoke reminiscent of feydrake breath. Slowly, within the depths of the orb could be seen a pair of objects floating. The first, a book with a red leatherish hide could be seen "flapping" its pages in a poor immitation of a mouth speaking. The other, a floating, adamantine sai whose tsuka, or hilt, wagged animatedly, back and forth and left and right, shaking the eye of Auppenser at the book as if it were in conversation.

Abruptly, a burst of sound began to appear from the orb, carrying the words of these two sentient constructs into the black shelves of the ancient library. "I tell you, you old windbag, I SAW it with my inner eye. It was exactly as the historical text described, and it was laying right there in the horde of Shadintobracculus the BlackBreath in the Nardark caverns of Irronther. It was the Saurian Snifter of Salubrious Smellsong".

"I didn't say that I disbelieved ya, ya arrogant excuse for a dulled thinblade, Ater all, just how many short stemmed, blended quartz goblets shaped like a hornhead noggin can possibly exist in the world."

"It's in Abeir", corrected the "must be always right" sai.

"WILL YOU LET ME FINISH BEFORE INTERRUPTING ME", yelled the floating book, clearly exasperated at this point. "What I said was, do you really think we should invade a Narrendrow banshee stronghold allied with the Eminence of Araunt? All of that just to gain access to a shadow dragon ghost's lair to get an enchanted whiskey tumbler THAT NONE OF US CAN USE. The last time we went there, we were followed all the way to the Shimmergate of Seluneira in the Undermoon Paths by dark elf assassins. The shadow fey on the moon were less than pleased with us, and almost didn't want to let us use the portal to return to Toril."

Rather than answer the question, the sai simply responded matter of factly, "Mystra requires it".

As the book began to shake in uncontrolled rage, a blue-tinged, semitransparent woman appeared in the air. "You know Lorey's right Sleyvas. I received it in a dreamvision from Deneir that the divine artifact of Finder must be recovered and returned to the Saurials."

The book turned toward the weaveghost of Lady Jillian Doncastle, mage-priestess of Deneir, and his daughter by troth from a son lost to him. He was obviously exasperated as he responded simply "YOU... DON'T .... SLEEP...." before finally making a "huffing" sound that was clearly impossible since he didn't breathe, and then uttering "FINE .... but how by Hoar's Haranguing Hammer do you think we can get the shadow ellefolk to let us use the Shimmergate between worlds again?"

On that, an impish smile crossed the face of the dead maiden, "Are you kidding me? Those artistic dilettantes on the moon will leap at a chance to "smell" an inebriated opera sung by a saurial priest-bard of Finder enhanced by magic tinged by their own campestri spore brandy."

The book looked crestfallen. He knew he had lost yet again. Secretly he smiled at the thought of gallivanting off on yet another adventure in service to the Crimson Cavalier, known to him as the goddess of spell tactics.

Ok, I felt like writing that up.... but I have not put a second of thought into what powers this divine artifact of Finder should have, other than that it should enhance "smellsong" or the "singing" of Saurials. Just for the pure fun of it, I open the floor to anyone to give ideas.

Or if the Saurian Snifter of Salubrious Smellsong isn't of interest to you... does the description of the faerie dragon inspired crystal ball at the beginning bring any ideas to mind. Name? History? Abilities?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 11 Sep 2024 14:45:06

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31714 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2024 :  10:38:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great work! And a fun read.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000