Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The archetypical Good and Bad monarchs?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

varyar
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2024 :  15:12:24  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all,

My next DM's Guild project is looking like it'll be a short book about Siamorphe, fleshing her out and bringing her into the late 15th century DR.

That got me wondering - who would you consider the examplars of Good and Bad monarchs in the Realms? By Good and Bad I mean effectiveness more than morality. I was thinking Azoun IV would be a good (ah-hem) example of a Good monarch, but I'm open to alternatives! And what about a bad, ineffective ruler who did more harm than good? What say ye?

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2024 :  02:37:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good: King Brinnaq I "the Shining" of Man; King Brindor of Aglarond; King Imphras I "the Great" of Impiltur.; King Strohm I of Tethyr.

Bad: King Ilphael of Westgate; King Morus "the Crazed" of Impiltur.

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Aug 2024 12:27:40
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
768 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2024 :  03:52:23  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
King Brinnaq I "the Shining" of Man*

*Amn

You had me furiously scrolling back and forth through my copy of Under Illefarn Anew there

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2024 :  13:18:34  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good: King Brinnaq I "the Shining" of Man; King Brindor of Aglarond; King Imphras I "the Great" of Impiltur.; King Strohm I of Tethyr.

Bad: King Ilphael of Westgate; King Morris "the Crazed" of Impiltur.

/quietly takes notes

"Your search - "Morris" +Impiltur - did not match any documents."

Can you elaborate on that last one, please? :)
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
187 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2024 :  16:41:03  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assumed King Morus the Crazed, seventh king of the Durlaven Dynasty, born 630 DR, ruled 673-675 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2024 :  01:58:27  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't forget King Haedrak and Queen Zaranda of Tethyr! I'd like to think they're among the good'uns…but then I left them to others for over a quarter-century, so I dunno what they did with them…

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2024 :  12:26:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werthead

I assumed King Morus the Crazed, seventh king of the Durlaven Dynasty, born 630 DR, ruled 673-675 DR.

Correct. These forums have an autocorrect feature that puts my iPhone to shame.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2024 :  13:37:03  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

Don't forget King Haedrak and Queen Zaranda of Tethyr! I'd like to think they're among the good'uns…but then I left them to others for over a quarter-century, so I dunno what they did with them…

From what little I've read, they had long and happy reigns.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Werthead

Correct. These forums have an autocorrect feature that puts my iPhone to shame.

-- George Krashos

Thanks! He does seem like a bad example as far as rulers go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000