Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New D&D novels for 2024
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  02:19:32  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fallbacks: Bound for Ruin (FR novel) and now there is also Spelljammer: Memories Wake written by a guy who write a couple of MtG novels (good ones).

In addition to the 3rd Dragonlance novel in the current trilogy, and most likely a Drizzt novel (as yet unannounced, but come on we know it's coming), that's 4 D&D novels next year, two for FR. This year with got Druid's Call, Road to Neverwinter, Honor Among Thieves junior novelization, Lolth Warrior, and a Dragonlance novel.

Is this a sign of a return of D&D novels?

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  02:48:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When will Wizbro realize that "young adults" want material written for "real adults"?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  09:08:36  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll hard pass on future novels featuring the Purple-Eyed Cuisinart.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  09:41:49  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's hope a return to novels. I really miss them, even if I didn't care for anything written in the post time jump so far..
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1294 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  13:13:37  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to see what the committee has decided we should think.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2023 :  04:50:09  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

You mean Drizzt?
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2023 :  07:53:31  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:

You mean Drizzt?

Yes. I would be OK with a Cadderly novel.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2023 :  07:58:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No Ginsu.

And more Zulkirs. But with less Szassy.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1294 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2023 :  11:28:20  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asking the wizards to shift the focus from Drizzt is like asking them to explore areas outside their comfortable slice of coast. Best of luck.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2023 :  12:31:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Asking the wizards to shift the focus from Drizzt is like asking them to explore areas outside their comfortable slice of coast. Best of luck.

The reason that character even exists is that the author was persistent and persuasive and passionate enough to convince the greedy overlords that his "stupid freak munchkin character concept" could be an interesting and vital component for a compelling novel or three.

Let us hope - against the odds - that some of the respected authors in our number (who might possess hypothetical powers of summoning and enchantment) could somehow influence or persuade the greedy overlords that readers who grew up with D&D characters in the 1990s have outgrown their D&D Mary-Sue munchkin characters of the 1990s.

It is a small hope. But it costs nothing to put the word out other than spending a little of Alaundo's coffers, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2023 :  16:06:16  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

You mean Drizzt?

Yes. I would be OK with a Cadderly novel.

Honestly Drizzt isn't even the most important character in his own novels for years now. He's there so they can be called Drizzt novels and given just enough character arc here and there to justify it, but characters like Jarleaxle, Yvonne 2nd, Drizzt's dad, a new Paladin of Drow Moon Maiden, even reincarnated Regis aka Spider Parafan, Drizzt's daughter Brie, etc..., get alot of the spotlight.

Not many complain because alot of his newer characters are as interesting or more so as Drizzt.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1294 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2023 :  14:03:54  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

The reason that character even exists is that the author was persistent and persuasive and passionate enough to convince the greedy overlords that his "stupid freak munchkin character concept" could be an interesting and vital component for a compelling novel or three.

Let us hope - against the odds - that some of the respected authors in our number (who might possess hypothetical powers of summoning and enchantment) could somehow influence or persuade the greedy overlords that readers who grew up with D&D characters in the 1990s have outgrown their D&D Mary-Sue munchkin characters of the 1990s.

It is a small hope. But it costs nothing to put the word out other than spending a little of Alaundo's coffers, lol.

In my opinion, the problem is twofold.

Despite the Tieflings' role as the new kid on the block (they're technically not, having first appeared in Planescape, but their presence in mainstream D&D has exploded over the past decade), the Drow are still popular. If you want to significantly cripple Drizzt's popularity, diminish the presence of the Drow as a whole.

Drizzt's status as a paragon (be it genuine or an exaggeration) aside, the character does have some admirable traits that were developed over the course of his escapades; having the renegade's path take a dark turn resulting in him become genuinely evil would detract from his appeal. I would place the difficulty of this task on the same level of making Superman look bad. Again: best of luck .

Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2023 :  16:16:54  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Fallbacks: Bound for Ruin (FR novel) and now there is also Spelljammer: Memories Wake written by a guy who write a couple of MtG novels (good ones).

Django Wrexler, the author of the Shadow Campaigns, a very solid flintlock fantasy series.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11703 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2023 :  13:55:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did buy the dragonlance novel, but I've yet to even crack the cover... but I may do that over the christmas break. I haven't bought any of the drizzt books recently or the ones based on the recent movie.... but I'd like to support the novel line. I've only read I think one Jaleigh Johnson (the author for this The Fallbacks: Bound for Ruin novel)... and that was Mistshore... and honestly nothing stuck with me. Now that being said, I can say that about a lot of the novels, since so many of them I've had a decade or more since I read them. What's the feel for her stuff?

I can honestly say I've been sucked into stupid tablet apps that suck down time for the past year, and I need to break that habit... I need to get back into reading more.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  12:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I can honestly say I've been sucked into stupid tablet apps that suck down time for the past year, and I need to break that habit... I need to get back into reading more.

This has happened to me as well and I’m tired of it. It’s why my writing has slowed down so much. I’m hoping to reinvigorate over the break too with novels and more writing.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  12:56:06  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not regret preferring a "dumb" flip phone. No Android, no iOS, no apps, no stores, no distractions. Also, the thing is basically indestructible, which is handy at work.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1294 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  13:27:04  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do not regret preferring a "dumb" flip phone. No Android, no iOS, no apps, no stores, no distractions. Also, the thing is basically indestructible, which is handy at work.

Another boon: it is less likely to get pilfered.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11703 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2023 :  22:21:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

This has happened to me as well and I’m tired of it. It’s why my writing has slowed down so much. I’m hoping to reinvigorate over the break too with novels and more writing.

Yeah, and what's worse is that the app I'm playing ... it's this silly star trek fleet command game... the graphics are ... meh ... the game itself started off looking complex, but I'm realizing that its just repeating the same junk over and over and they can't even do their math right (i.e. things say it will give a 20% boost and when you do the math it's like 11.85% or something goofy like that).

I think I'm ready to get back into reading a bit more... but at the same time, I'm thinking about trying out baldurs gate 3 since it is realsmian and apparently it has a lot of good press. I'm also a Harry Potter fan and considering Hogwarts Legacy. Both look interesting. Don't know jack about either.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2023 :  07:07:13  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

even reincarnated Regis aka Spider Parafan

Dear Odin, are you serious?!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2023 :  09:11:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Yes. A serious report of a ridiculous character. A character so implausible yet uninteresting that it is essentially a self parody.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Spider_Parrafin

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2023 :  18:31:03  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Yes. A serious report of a ridiculous character. A character so implausible yet uninteresting that it is essentially a self parody.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Spider_Parrafin

OK I remember him now. The Companions was one of the last FR books I read. It's what finally put me off of Salvatore Drizzt novels. Pretty sure I purged it from my memory and you just dredged it back up for me.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2023 :  18:39:36  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair I think even Salvatore hated that entire arc and all the hoops he had to jump through to just carry on with the storyline he'd wanted to tell in the first place until WotC interrupted it with the Spellplague (which he told them was a really stupid idea, along with almost every other Realms author and Ed).
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2023 :  21:08:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werthead

To be fair I think even Salvatore hated that entire arc and all the hoops he had to jump through to just carry on with the storyline he'd wanted to tell in the first place until WotC interrupted it with the Spellplague (which he told them was a really stupid idea, along with almost every other Realms author and Ed).

Yeah it was his book to fix what WotC broke, although getting a second childhood did provide some interesting character growth for the Companions.

Honestly most of the rest of the novels in Sundering series were better, The Companions was just something that had to be done to fix things.

IMHO The Reaver, The Sentienal, and The Godborn were the best novels of the The Sundering series. The Herald was good too, but the Brimstone Saga novels that cane after were even better.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2024 :  07:53:29  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah it was his book to fix what WotC broke, although getting a second childhood did provide some interesting character growth for the Companions.

Honestly most of the rest of the novels in Sundering series were better, The Companions was just something that had to be done to fix things.

IMHO The Reaver, The Sentienal, and The Godborn were the best novels of the The Sundering series. The Herald was good too, but the Brimstone Saga novels that cane after were even better.

I actually really liked most of the Sundering novels. At the time I had the same distaste for the event that most did. But upon reflection, the authors did a great job with what they were given. I especially liked Erin M. Evans God Catcher.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2024 :  23:58:15  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, well the Second Sundering was basically designed to undo the Spellplague whilst not invalidating all the work the novelists put into the 4E era, so it was basically as good a "let's torch this idea and forget it ever happened," retcon as they were ever going to get and way more than could be reasonably expected, so it's unsurprising they enthusiastically embraced it.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2024 :  20:53:23  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yup, well the Second Sundering was basically designed to undo the Spellplague whilst not invalidating all the work the novelists put into the 4E era, so it was basically as good a "let's torch this idea and forget it ever happened," retcon as they were ever going to get and way more than could be reasonably expected, so it's unsurprising they enthusiastically embraced it.

I'd say more like let's cherry pick stuff from various editions and we will use this big event as an excuse, because they left a ton of 4e elements in, not just for novels, because even without retconning, they could have dump those going forward.

Like Tymanther's main cities are still there, Laekarond might still be on Toril (unknown according to Ed Greenwood), the High Imaskari are in exile, but still exists, apparently Akanul is still there (loved Akanul so that was a happy recent surprise), etc..., so it was all cherry picked to make the maximum amount of factions within the fan base happy.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2024 :  15:21:39  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When it comes to Fallbacks: Bound For Ruin I love that they made the Dwarf Cleric look like Mr. T, "I pity the fool who doesn't worship the Gods". I wonder if Baldric has to be knocked out before going.on a Spelljammer too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000