Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Separating the 4e / Spellplague Retcons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2024 :  17:58:35  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I just simplify things.

Stick with pre-4E editions and pre-4E lore in which 4E doesn't exist and never happened.

Or move onto post-4E editions and post-4E lore which attempt to retcon the retcon so 4E is something "optional" you can handwave or pretend halfway exists only as necessary for your preferences.

Trying to go straight into the middle and use 4E rules with not-4E lore is just more effort than it's worth, in my opinion. I don't waste my time fixing things that other people broke.

I ignore all those changes entirely. I mean if you run COrmyr-shadowdale-anauroch The PC's should have thwarted Shar.

The problem comes in with things around the Days of Thunder and scalyfolk. 4e and 5e developed alot of lore around that time. I think they made an Arokokra creator race as well?

I pretty much ignore all the Dawn war and Abeir stuff. ITs much easier not to address 4e and just tell my players that know about it that none of that happened.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
187 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2024 :  00:11:11  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon Magazine under Paizo was still using material written by WotC-approved authors, including Ed and Keith Baker and many others. I don't think there's ever been any suggestion that any Paizo-Dragon stuff is non-canon (or at least unofficial, given the bemusing status of D&D canon in general).

That said, that article gives no explanation for the Lady of Pain's origins, merely reprinting some of the favourite theories over the years:

quote:
No one knows who or what the Lady of Pain is. The undisputed and uncaring ruler of Sigil, the hub of the Outer Planes, it is by her might that deities and powerful magics do not intrude upon the City of Doors. Her powers and actions mark her as something both more and less than a deity. While she demonstrates the power to prevent all other deities from intruding upon her city and the ability to create demi planes (the Mazes) at will, possesses no worshipers—actively dissuading and destroying those who would dare pray to her—and has never exhibited power outside her city.

Numerous theories seek to explain the Lady of Pain and her role within Sigil, The most farfetched possibilities suggest that she might be a personification of Sigil itself or its countless philosophies, a reformed demon lord, a being hatched from a dab us egg by the dragon god lo, or an aspect of a dead god of portals. More elaborate possibilities have also been posed. The Planescape novel Pages of Pain suggests that the Lady of Pain might be a daughter of the Greek god Poseidon, while the video game Pi * Nescafe: Torment implies that the lady of Pain is a prisoner bound at the heart of the Outer Planes and that Sigil is her cage.

Additionally, some suggest that she is one of the unknowable Ancient Brethren—manifestations of primal forces- and existent since the formation of the multiverse—and that her role is one of key multiplanar concern: protection of Sigil The City of Doors has always been held ari a place of unique importance at the heart of the Outer Planes, where all philosophies might meld and mix. Some have even suggested that Sigil is the keystone upon which the Outer Planes rely, and that all the planes’ stability rests on the physical and philosophical peace of the city. Should one philosophy ever forcibly take hold, particularly through invasion or godly intervention* that change would be accounted for in the ordering, reordering, destruction, or creation of various Outer Planes- Thus, this theory proposes that it is the role of the Lady of Pain to maintain the status quo within Sigil, lest the multiverse be fundamentally changed (see Die Vecna Die),

Although little can be proven or deemed true about the Lady of Pain in D&D, outside of those realms inspiration for the Lady of Pain is drawn directly from the titular character in a poem by Algernon Charles Swinburne, “Dolores (Notre-Dame de* Sept Poulencs)" Le. r "Dolores (Our Lady of Seven Sorrows)."

Regardless, what is known for sure about the Lady of Pain is very little besides that she is an embodiment of the mysteries of Sigil and all the planes found beyond her city's countless doors.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2024 :  16:42:29  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Trying to go straight into the middle and use 4E rules with not-4E lore is just more effort than it's worth, in my opinion. I don't waste my time fixing things that other people broke.

I've played 4e rules in pre-4e timelines. There's really no significant change with the Lore except -maybe if you make it a bit deal- "eladrin" as Moon/Sun/Star elves. Most people on Faerûn still just call them gold or sun elves. Wizards still use spellbooks, Clerics still pray, paladins still Smite, etc.

I know that Richard Baker has a mandate to bring the realms to a more accessible level, but I think many of the Forgotten Realms fans would have stuck with the 4e rules set if the Lore was not changed all around or brought up 100 years. My problem with 4e was FR Lore more than ruleset.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11800 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2024 :  18:45:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

I've played 4e rules in pre-4e timelines. There's really no significant change with the Lore except -maybe if you make it a bit deal- "eladrin" as Moon/Sun/Star elves. Most people on Faerûn still just call them gold or sun elves. Wizards still use spellbooks, Clerics still pray, paladins still Smite, etc.

I know that Richard Baker has a mandate to bring the realms to a more accessible level, but I think many of the Forgotten Realms fans would have stuck with the 4e rules set if the Lore was not changed all around or brought up 100 years. My problem with 4e was FR Lore more than ruleset.

Not to start any fight, but it was both for me... moreso with what they did with spellcasters (which I'd have to re-review the rulesets to remember what that was mind you... but basically it made me go "so now what we see people do in the novels, just can't be done mechanically by the rules"). That being said, there were definite improvements in mechanics in the system, such as the concept of rituals. Each edition comes up with some new/unique ideas that improve and advance certain ideas.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000