Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood from Greenwood's Grotto
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1402 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2024 :  10:09:51  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Strahd visited Cormyr

Joe Chang — 08/20/2024 1:22 PM

Hi @Ed Greenwood , in your 2016 short story "Travel Talk: Ravenloft" , Volo, on hearing the name of Strahd von Zarovich, had this reaction:
quote:
I would ordinarily have thanked the fellow and assured him I would be delighted to accept the invitation, but some confused memory of hearing bad things about the name “Strahd,” long ago in a tavern in Suzail, made me say, “Oh, that Strahd! I would love to, but fear I findc myself in an urgently pressing hurry to be elsewhere

Has D&D's most infamous vampire visited Cormyr?

Ed Greenwood — 08/21/2024 1:33 AM

He has indeed. Marsember, Suzail, Athkatla, and Baldur's Gate, among other places.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1402 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2024 :  10:12:26  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On names of two streets in Suzail

Juniper Churlgo — 08/21/2024 1:55 AM

do these two streets in Suzail have names?

<https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1072136642162343986/1275513674152284243/Screenshot_2024-08-20_at_1.53.51_PM_2.png?ex=66cc18ed&is=66cac76d&hm=e8d058b21e6dd6e941b11506666c66750ffc389cb3b97e84ae9c98465a99ffe8&>

Ed Greenwood — 08/22/2024 12:55 AM

Sure. Minstrels' Ride is the curving one, and Dunstan's Way is the straight one.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1402 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2024 :  05:18:36  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On schooling of youngsters in Waterdeep

Oakthorne — 08/29/2024 2:43 PM

Hey @Ed Greenwood - what does the schooling of youngsters look like in Waterdeep? I know that the nobility frequently employ tutors and send their scions off to "finishing" schools (usually more to socialize them with other nobles than actually learn), but what about other folk? Is there a presumed education required in the law, or more catch-as-catch-can?

Ed Greenwood — 09/04/2024 8:47 AM

Everyone tries to afford tutors (apprenticeships for "handwork"=trades, whose grandparents/aunts/uncles provide evening schooling), and if you're a guild member, you can afford tutors, but shared with the kids of fellow guild members, in small classes.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1402 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2024 :  05:21:27  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Volo meeting Myrmeen Lhal

Joe Chang — 09/04/2024 10:48 AM

Hi @Ed Greenwood have the Calishite expatriates Volo and Myrmeen Lhal ever crossed paths?

Ed Greenwood — 09/05/2024 2:29 AM

Oh, yes. And Volo survived. ;} Details later; that's a NDA-dodging story.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1402 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2024 :  08:18:08  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Cormyrean name that starts with Q

Jeremy Grenemyer — 09/06/2024 3:53 AM

Hello Ed from still-too-hot California. #129397;

Ed, my list of Cormyrean first names is large, but it doesn't contain a single name (male or female) that begins with the letter Q.

Might you know some Cormyrean names (even those no longer in regular/popular use) that begin with Q?

Thank you, as always. #128578;

Ed Greenwood — 09/08/2024 6:25 AM

Am rushing to the hospital to pick a lady up, so can't check my files for an hour or two, but: Qedron (pronounced "KED-ron" or "Kwedron" both correct) is by far the most popular male name, and Qara (again, "CAR-rah" or "Kwarr-rah both correct) the most popular female name.

Brian Cortijo — 09/08/2024 6:51 AM

Other Cormyrean Q - names: Qorluth, Qorn, and Quence for males, and Qemmethe, Qesmra, Quasryl, Quendara, Quessae, and Quilarra, for females (these from emails between Ed and Tom Costa many, many, many-moons ago).

Ed Greenwood — 09/08/2024 10:00 AM

Okay, in addition to those Brian has shared, here are ten more Q female names, and ten more Q male names:

Female:

Qaye (“Kaye”), Qelarra (“Kel-LAR-ah”), Qindra (“KIN-drah”), Qlarra (“Clarr-ah”), Qorla (“CORE-lah”), Qorra (“CORE-ah”), Queltress (pronounced both “Kweltress” and “Cooltress” both correct), Quethmra (“K-WETH-mrah”), Qyllara (“KILL-ah-rah,” and usually shortened to “Killah” in everyday speech), Qyzele (“KYE-zell”)

Male:

Qabran (“KAH-bran”), Qandor (“KONN-dor”), Qavran (“KAV-ran”), Qazast (“CAZZ-ast”), Qeldur (“KELL-durr”), Qeltarn (“KELL-tar”), Qelver (“KELL-vur”), Qinder (“KIN-dur”), Qorlath (“CORE=lath”), Qurvar (“CURR-var”)
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1402 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2024 :  08:25:01  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On anything left out from Ecology of the Beholder

George Krashos — 09/07/2024 1:05 PM

Hi Ed. Just doing some FR reminiscing and re-read your "Ecology of the Beholder" article from Dragon #76. I was wondering whether you can recall what Realmslore was stripped out of it for publication. I can't forgive Roger Moore for that one ... #128521;

Ed Greenwood — 09/08/2024 9:27 AM

No, I didn’t put any variants into that piece. What did get lost is a brief “you can use beholder spittle for this, tears for that, blood for that third thing” alchemy rundown, and then sixteen notorious active beholders, their approximate lair locations, and most importantly what their known schemes/aims/cabals were, and what their secret ones were.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1402 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2024 :  03:11:03  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On foundational document for Waterdeep

Dudeling — 08/29/2024 9:39 AM

Hey there @Ed Greenwood, does Waterdeep have any sort of foundational docunent, a constitution per se, or is everything contained in the code legal, or does everyone in government just have a general agreement enforced by force of personality?

Ed Greenwood — 09/09/2024 4:48 AM

Waterdeep has no written constitution, but it does have more than just the Code Legal: it has centuries of case law precedents, written down and indexed at the Palace so they can be looked up (relatively) quickly, and there are other written documents that establish Waterdeep’s authority: every tax bill, every building permit, every deed of ownership to property in the city, and every charter entered into between Waterdeep and a guild, a coster or other trading company, an adventuring band, and so on. Force of personality doesn’t go far, these days, because for every beloved Piergeiron, there’s a Dagult Neverember.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1402 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2024 :  03:17:04  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On tears in the weave or decaying mythals affecting divine casters

Doc Webb — 08/29/2024 8:57 PM

@Ed Greenwood Hello sir! I hope you’re rested and recovered. When you have a moment, would you be willing to share your insight on whether tears in the weave or decaying mythals (like the tear by the Court of the White Bull in Waterdeep or the enlargement mythal by Wolfhill House in the Mere of Dead Men) affect divine casters, or just arcane? How about divine magic in an antimagic field/cone?

I’m a lore-first, mechanics-distant-second sort of person, so I don’t care about “class balance” in my game — I’d like to better reflect the magical and divine realities of your world.

Thanks so much!

Ed Greenwood — 09/09/2024 4:53 AM

Rifts and tears in the Weave, nodes of strength in the Weave due to the proximity of the Athora or something similar, decaying mythals, and yes, anti-magic fields all affect divine spells as well as arcane ones. Exactly HOW they affect a particular spell, spells, or combination of spells is an “it depends” situation. In other words, life is an ongoing experiment, and the DM will determine what happens on a case-by-case basis. Which can be affected by why and how the deity granted the spell, and its precise nature; if they were intending that this mortal be able to use this spell to get past this particular problem, it will work better than if a generic “flame strike” or whatever was granted.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1402 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2024 :  02:46:09  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Alaphondar Emmarask in his youth

Melody #127872; — 09/12/2024 5:11 AM

@Ed Greenwood What did Alaphondar Emmarask look like in his youth?

Ed Greenwood — 09/12/2024 8:18 AM

He was very thin, stood 6 feet tall, and had brown hair (and starting at age 17, a neatly-trimmed, pointed beard, but never a moustache). He dressed in garments of a single hue, mainly dark colours, and was quiet in his speech and subdued in his movements (not loud, extroverted, or flamboyant). He has always favoured soft-soled boots and shoes (slippers indoors).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1402 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2024 :  06:21:30  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On recharging magic items

Genghis Sean — 09/12/2024 5:28 AM

Hello @Ed Greenwood , I hope you are doing well! How difficult is it to recharge magic items in the Realms? I see enchant an item is 6th level, takes days to cast, and has a chance of ruining the magic item; while dweomerflow is only 4th level, is cast relatively quickly, and has zero chance of ruining the item. Is dweomerflow significantly rarer to find or is it just that easy and risk free to recharge items? How much would a wizard charge to recharge an item?

Ed Greenwood — 09/12/2024 8:37 AM

Enchant an item is a difficult spell because it’s imbuing an item with magic for the first time (i.e. creating the capacity to store a spell and/or “hold” a dweomer). Dweomerflow is only for charging items, or transferring charges (siphoning from an item). Recharging is usually easier than charging for the first time. Dweomerflow is a much newer spell (there were centuries in the Realms when it didn’t exist yet, and so was unavailable). When it comes to recharging items, the demand has always outstripped the supply. Wizards and temples are busy. As for how much a wizard might charge, it depends. Like some real-world writers, the rate depends on who’s asking (friend? Family member? Someone the mage owes a debt or favour to? A rival, or someone they dislike?) and how much they want to do it.enjoy the work: some high prices are charged to discourage folk asking. However, a base of 100 gp/day of work, or per act of charging if it’s fast, plus the cost of the spells used as charges, should be a good base guide.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1402 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2024 :  04:37:02  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On humans becoming a patron for a devil

stormer454 — 09/09/2024 1:13 PM

Slightly odd question for sir @Ed Greenwood but can a human (possibly a player character) become a patron for a devil??? Rather than the usual "the other way around" that's normally seen?

Ed Greenwood — 09/13/2024 1:49 AM

Possible but highly unlikely. The human would have to have something to offer the devil, AND be willing to brave the dangers (of the devil just taking what it wants). The human needs to be Larloch level, or insane, or both. ;}
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1402 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2024 :  04:40:24  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On kiira for entry into Candlekeep

Zonesylvania — 09/13/2024 5:04 AM

Dear Saer @Ed Greenwood ! would a kiira be an acceptable offering to the Avowed for entry into Candlekeep, provided of course it had information that they wanted?

Ed Greenwood — 09/13/2024 6:55 AM

Oh, yes indeed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000