Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Storytime With Ed Greenwood
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

139 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2023 :  12:23:08  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ed Greenwood’s Youtube channel has a new format: Storytime with Ed Greenwood. The first story is called “Madness of the Executioner”. As often with Ed’s stories, it is a convoluted tangle of plots and counterplots (reading the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy, I cannot imagine how it must have been like to play such a story without seeing the scenes where the enemies are plotting in the shadows or without being able to check the wiki. Everything that happened to the players must have felt completely random). But even after untangling this story and trying to understand what every character thought they knew about what was happening, I am left with quite a few questions.

- When Vrandrulphyn talks of “perfect recipes for cooking and eating illithid tadpoles”, is this literal? The Youtube vignette highlights this aspect of eating illithid tadpoles, but running an inn to trick customers into becoming illithids by ingestion does not seem like the most direct method. Of course, by “recipe”, Qurphelra could mean the way she is tampering with the tadpoles so the resulting illithids would be (in appearance) loyal to her, but then, why would she go through the trouble of perfecting seven different recipes?

- Why would the illithids entrust a human with tadpoles? Why not just ask Vrandrulphyn to provide them with slaves, and transform them at their base? Especially when Xoontral is becoming suspicious of Vrandrulphyn, yet does not change their agreement in any way… The only other explanation I can come up with is that Athkatla is far from any illithid settlements, and Xoontral is actually delivering pre-infected subjects to be kept safe until ceromorphosis is complete. In that case, I am wondering where Qurphelra is finding the tadpoles to tamper with: her office is described as a kitchen rather than a surgery room. And if she is starting with a human and a tadpole already, I am not sure why she would go through the trouble of getting humans to eat the tadpoles…

- Why is Qurphelra’s kitchen just one door away from a room her enemies visit regularly? Worse, why would Vrandrulphyn go visit her when one of them is just in the jailcell next door and could come back at any minute (in fact, had Vrandrulphyn taken a few seconds more, Xoontral would have seen the door)

- How can Vrandrulphyn get away with lying to an illithid? I know that in 5E, high level rogues can be very resistant to psychic attacks, but if that is his case, why would Xoontral want to work with one of the few humans he cannot control?

- Vrandrulphyn presents himself as Qurphelra’s thrall, although it is not clear whether he is serious. Nevertheless, I am surprised that an alhoon would encourage one of her thralls (or at least servants) to be curious and free-thinking. More than that, she does not seem to see anything wrong with giving him a pendant that would protect him from her own powers (although it is clear that this is not all that the pendant would do).

- What part of the operation requires Manshoon’s funding?

- I am guessing that the “High One” at the end is Azuth. Illithid being a race that despise magic, and Qurphelra being a magic user who develops new magic and who encourages curiosity in her disciples, I do not understand why the god would ultimately attempt to be upsetting her plans.

The worldbuilding on the channel has been great so far, and I like that I often end up with more questions than answers. I just wish they were representative of further mysteries rather than utter confusion.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000