Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Earthly Diseases in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2023 :  13:50:38  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I’m curious what we know about real world earthly diseases on Toril - even just what their alternative names might be. Pardon the dark subject matter but is cancer a thing in the Realms? I know it can be cured by a local cleric but it still must exist where they aren’t available or can’t be afforded. What about strokes or heart attacks? I seem to remember the name “heart stop” brought up somewhere but I have no recollection of where I heard it.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2023 :  17:02:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one relevant bit from Ed:

quote:
Known Afflictions:
Fevers: blacklung fever, blacktongue, marsh fever, shaking fever
Diseases: darkrot, sallar (typhus), whitewasting (leprosy)
Plagues: featherlung, Spotted Plague, the Shaking Plague (Scardale)
Magical diseases: lycanthropy, mummy rot (flesh rot), green rot/scaly death (Talona)
heartstop (heart attack)
‘winterchill fever’ (pneumonia)
Also, we see examples in published Realmslore, but so far haven’t gained Realms names for: various wasting and rotting diseases, cankers, and the mental illnesses of paranoia, kleptomania, nymphomania, pyromania, and delusions (hallucinations).

And I have absolutely no idea, now, why I asked him about asthma, but he gave a thorough answer, there:

quote:
Hi, Wooly! In this reply, I have carefully avoided all real, real-world medicine. What follows is all pure fantasy, and applies to the Realms only . . .
Asthma has many local names in the Realms (“roren” is an old, widespread but now nigh-forgotten one, that’s still used in Rashemen, Aglarond, Impiltur, and the ?Great Dale), but is most often and most widely called “lackwind” these days.
The treatments are varied, from curative clerical spells to cantrips that oxygenate the blood without curing the condition, to local wisefolk remedies like inhaling the steam from a kettle (using clothing to hood the head so moisture can’t escape), to three or four herbal remedies that work (and dozens more that don’t). New remedies are discovered from time to time by herbalists, druids, alchemists, and priests (though monastery and temple “cures” tend to be closely-guarded secrets for as long as possible, rather than swiftly shared and spreading).

The effective remedies consist of:

1. Chewing the prickly, dark leaves and/or tiny yellow-white “flag” or “wisp” flower of a certain wild Heartlands and more northerly-growing weed (called “hammerwind” for its effects), that’s abundant but short and often overlooked (the darker-than-most-plants green leaves are the best way to spot it). They cause the lungs to pump rapidly, but the heart rate is also increased, skin goes bright red in the face, breast, and shoulders, and eyes sometimes bulge. The condition is alleviated for 1d2 days, but immediately after ingestion (and the first made rush of lung-pumping), the asthmatic may feel worn out and even weary-clumsy (“stumbling or fumbling exhaustion”).

2. Putting a single leaf of some little-known mountain flower on the tongue of the asthmatic. This works fast, but brings on euphoria (and for some, orgasm). The leaf must have been treated properly to be effective, and the plant and this “proper treatment” is apparently plentiful but little-known (except among some northern Harpers and dwarves, and the Witches of Rashemen). The leaves are small and almost perfectly triangular, and some say the plant is called “arritches,” while others refer to it as “storndown.”

3. The green, unripe “flower” (it actually looks very much like the harvested fruit of the hops plant) of the wild tortendril vine, crushed and brewed into a tea and drunk, gently and slowly alleviates asthma symptoms. It may take an hour or more for breathing to be comfortable, but if the tea is sipped (even cold and old), relief can last for days, even during exertion such as travel and moderate lifting and climbing.

4. “Auglauken” (pronounced “Aww-GLOCK-enn”) is the dried berry of a certain wild vine, that goes so brown and hard that some folk believe it is a nut. (Think: ovoid and smooth unpopped popcorn kernels.) This vine literally grows all over the known surface Realms that isn’t desert or frozen, but doesn’t produce berries all that often. Ingesting a raw, moist auglauken berry (enclosed in a slender pod often unnoticed among the side-tendrils and leaves of the vine) is as effective as hammerwind, but without some of the flushing/blushing and fierceness of the lung-pumping . . . and eating a dried one brings a gentle, lasting relief (stretching for most of the waking hours of a typical day). As a result, these berries are a staple of most healers’ and herbalists’ shops, and are not inexpensive (1 sp a berry in cities, 2 or 3 berries for 1 sp in rural areas where many folk know where and how they can be harvested). They travel and last well (often for years) if kept from the damp, or sundried within a day or two of every time they do get wet.

Hope this helps. As it happens, my wife is asthmatic, so I created this lore long, long ago.

Page 40 of Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms lists these:

quote:
Fevers: Blacklung fever, blacktongue, marsh fever, shaking fever, windchill fever (pneumonia)
Diseases: Darkrot, “foamjaws” (rabies), “sallar” (typhus), “whitewasting” (leprosy)
Plagues: Featherlung, the spotted plague, the shaking plague (most recently in Scardale)
Magical Diseases: Lycanthropy, “mummy rot” (flesh rot), green rot/scaly death (courtesy of
the goddess of disease, Talona)
Heartstop (heart attack)

Those plagues are described in that book, on pages 40 and 41. If you don't have a print copy (or two, like I do), then you can get a legal copy of the pdf from DriveThruRPG.com.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Aug 2023 17:03:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2023 :  17:05:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh. I knew some of the lore in that book was stuff Ed had shared before, here and in other places, but I literally did not realize until putting it all in one spot that the list of diseases, in the book, is almost word-for-word what he shared here.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2023 :  05:45:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lycanthropy, Ghoul-rot, and Vampirism are magical diseases. As are countless curses and geasa which somehow afflict the body, mind, spirit, aura in a magical way.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2023 :  03:43:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Huh. I knew some of the lore in that book was stuff Ed had shared before, here and in other places, but I literally did not realize until putting it all in one spot that the list of diseases, in the book, is almost word-for-word what he shared here.

About a third if not more of "EG presents Elminster's etc" was lore that was first showcased here at Candlekeep.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2023 :  05:30:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

About a third if not more of "EG presents Elminster's etc" was lore that was first showcased here at Candlekeep.

-- George Krashos

I had noticed that. When I got the book and was reading through it the first time, I dug out some of the info that had been shared here, first.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2023 :  14:31:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I note that Ed did not mention any venereal diseases...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000