Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 3rd-Party Realms Setting/Sourcebooks for 5e
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zyzzyva
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2023 :  04:42:30  Show Profile Send zyzzyva a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all, I'm in the process of poking around the independently published Realms campaign setting/sourcebooks for 5e, and am curious if anyone had any recommended sourcebooks that they really enjoyed.

I've really enjoyed Ed's various publications, as well as the Amarune's Almanac series, and Joe Raso's settings in the Unapproachable East.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2023 :  03:08:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a dedicated DMs Guild page here, which should show you what's available.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2023 :  06:16:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the Rasheman and Border Kingdoms sourcebooks and both are pretty great. The BK one is mostly all Lore and info for those lands that expand on the old 3.5 Web-articles. There's some mechanical elements but you really could use that sourcebook with any edition of the game.

The Rasheman book is way more Crunchy in terms of mechanics and player options, but paints a great picture of how a campaign would work there and enmeshing the options with your character. I highly recommend both supplements to expand your Forgotten Realms 5e library.

EDIT: Just realized that I also own Forgotten Characters of the Realms produced by Thomas M. Costa and I just purchased the digital copy of Faiths of the Forgotten Realms on the DM's GUild by Dragon Rock Games/Pyromaniac Press. Both supplements greatly increase Player's Options for classes, archtypes, spells, and feats. I found the lore and divine information in the Faiths of FR pretty well done, though I would've gone with two different names (Red Knight paladin order in the book is Oath of the Red Fellowship and I would've gone Oath of the Red Falcon and for Mystra, it's Oath of the Weave Guardians and I would've gone Mystic Fire Knight myself).

Costa's book has lots of cool races, feats, Spellfire options, additional spells, divine domains, and monsters. A great supplement for just about any Realms-specific campaign you want to run.

The first book is ALL about divine options: domains, paladin orders and oaths, spells, magic items, and even divine artifacts. In fact, my current Paladin of Torm (12th level) was originally an Oath of Vengeance but the new one: Oath of the Golden Lions fits the theme and concept much better that I changed it. Definitely worth a look.

Edited by - Diffan on 13 Jun 2023 16:36:50
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2023 :  05:08:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tom Costa is a great writer and his crunch understanding is second to none.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2023 :  22:19:10  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you gents.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2023 :  16:53:41  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Thank you gents.

No problem. I was particularly a fan of star elves, the Shadow Walker path for Rogues, and usages for your Strength score.

That supplement and Robert Schwalb's Warlord book certainly helped ease some of the movement towards playing 5e more over 4e.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2023 :  19:14:24  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the feedback Diffan. :-) Thank you again!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000