Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bahamut's wyrm companions - FR wiki
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2023 :  22:46:42  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was looking for a reference to one of the wiki's administrators.

I've noticed in Bahamut's entry, where it mentions that Bahamut is followed by seven canaries, that this info would be found in 2e Draconomicon and in later sources. I don't know much of the later sources, but Draconomicon only mentions he is followed by polymorphed dragons, not mentioning its forms.

The reference on canaries first appears in the 1e Monster Manual, which is not referenced. And I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the dragons could appear as seven hounds. I am not sure about that, though.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2023 :  10:34:04  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi.

The other cited source is the 5e Monster Manual, which equates the canaries with the polymorphed gold dragons.

By the way, if you have queries about articles on the Forgotten Realms Wiki, you can always drop us a message on their Talk pages, available from the drop-down menu next to the Edit button. We're much more likely to notice and be able to help there, rather than here.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2023 :  13:57:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 1E monster manual says these gold dragons can polymorph into any human or animal form.

The old (or sometimes young) human accompanied by canaries is just described as a "common" manifestation.

I suppose it might just as easily be a wizened monk surrounded by dragonflies, a barbarian warrior accompanied by ravens or wolves, an elven mage with his entourage of fairies.

It's described more as a disguise than an avatar. So I imagine Bahamut (et al) would take forms which are typical within whatever culture or region he's visiting.

He is the dragon archetype - something like a god - so I doubt he'd appear in random places to random people without a purpose.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2023 :  14:39:23  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note to all packs of ogres and trolls: If you see an unassuming humanoid accompanied by seven harmless-looking animals, do not harass said humanoid or any of the animals.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2023 :  15:11:01  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Note to all packs of ogres and trolls: If you see an unassuming humanoid accompanied by seven harmless-looking animals, do not harass said humanoid or any of the animals.

Actually, I'm thinking if in rural Damara this is actually part of the folk lore, like farmers or merchants willingly going alone with seven pack animals to invoke the protection of Bahamut and bandits and monsters avoiding them due to anecdotal evidence of their fellows being reduced to bits by Bahamut and its entourage.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2023 :  15:20:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Actually, I'm thinking if in rural Damara this is actually part of the folk lore, like farmers or merchants willingly going alone with seven pack animals to invoke the protection of Bahamut and bandits and monsters avoiding them due to anecdotal evidence of their fellows being reduced to bits by Bahamut and its entourage.

This is a wonderful bit of improv lore.

The only problem I see with it is the assumption that marauding monsters are able to count to seven.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2023 :  16:12:25  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:

This is a wonderful bit of improv lore.

The only problem I see with it is the assumption that marauding monsters are able to count to seven.

Eh, my Damara lore is not up to snuff so I was thinking more about bandits, goblinoids, ogres and assorted monstrous humanoids (be them from pre-existing tribes or scattered remnants of the Witch King armies or whatever).
Same might be happening in rural Unther and surrounding regions (where the protection would be from Marduk) and wherever else in the Realms we got an established Bahamutan(?) presence.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2023 :  00:46:21  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4e Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons gives you the names and a few characteristics of the current seven dragons. It also mentions that some Bahamut's worshipers do carry with them seven small animals during their pilgrimages.

And yes, there is a source from older editions that mentions Bahamut and the gold dragons have many disguises. The old man with the canaries is just the most known of them.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000