Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D cartoon IDW comic say show set in FR all along
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2023 :  07:54:43  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next we're going to hear all about how Greyhawk was Faerun all along.
Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2023 :  10:22:44  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Next we're going to hear all about how Greyhawk was Faerun all along.

You didn't know? https://web.archive.org/web/19970424044506/http://tsrinc.com/info/tabloid.html
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2023 :  13:16:51  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redking

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So yeah, this is a huge retcon, and it's another sign that the current "design" team just doesn't care about continuity and thinks the Realms is a salad bar they can pick and choose from and ignore anything they don't like.

I am sick of hearing about how the current design team "loves the Forgotten Realms setting" as the excuse for every loathsome thing that they do to the setting. They may love the setting, but they don't respect it.

The Realm is great but it's a different setting that is worth exploring separately.

Finally watched the cartoon, dispite the name the realm, its not the Forgotten Realms so its left unexplained how they got FR,especially since only Presto was left in the Realm at the end.
I never saw the cartoons as a kid and then watched the entire series again last year. Retcons aside, "the Realm" is not Toril. It could be a demiplane as you say. It could even be another world on the prime material plane.

Edited by - Gyor on 25 Aug 2023 23:53:35
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2023 :  14:54:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw those D&D kids running around a gaming arena/gauntlet in Neverwinter once ...

I suppose if the movie is canon set in the Realms, then the characters in the movie are canon set in the Realms.

I suppose the people I saw on screen might just be some randoms who happened to share physical appearances and costumes. Though the resemblance is strikingly and uncanny so I think they must be the cartoon characters.

I admit the short barbarian seemed older and tougher than I expected. Isn't he a 10-year-old kid in the cartoon?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2023 :  16:05:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I saw those D&D kids running around a gaming arena/gauntlet in Neverwinter once ...

I suppose if the movie is canon set in the Realms, then the characters in the movie are canon set in the Realms.

I suppose the people I saw on screen might just be some randoms who happened to share physical appearances and costumes. Though the resemblance is strikingly and uncanny so I think they must be the cartoon characters.

I admit the short barbarian seemed older and tougher than I expected. Isn't he a 10-year-old kid in the cartoon?

The movie credits list the kids by name, and it's the same names as the kids from the cartoon.

It could be a coincidence that they more or less look the same, have the same names, and wear the same clothes... But I for one won't put money on that possibility.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2023 :  20:16:26  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The comic run has been over for some time now, yet none of the questions brought up here were ever answered. I guess it's just a given now that the kids were in the Realms the entire time, but even the timeframe is not clear nor is any attempt made in the comic to connect with the cameos in the movie.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2023 :  23:22:54  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Long story short: The Realm is not The Forgotten Realms. My stance is to use the Nick Fury quote from the Avengers movie about councils making decisions.

Edited by - Delnyn on 08 Aug 2023 23:28:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2023 :  01:27:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My headcanon is that they made it home, decided to go back to the Realm, and then later moved from the Realm to the Realms.

I say they made it home because there was an episode with a girl who dreamed of the future, and she dreamed of seeing Bobby at her school where he returned the necklace she'd given him. In my opinion, this makes it clear they returned home and back to their previous lives.

But the (horrible!) Grand Tour comic puts them in Shadowdale, and they're referenced in one or more of the Baldur's Gate games, and there's also the movie cameo... So either they left Earth and went to Toril, or they went back to the Realm and then took one of the gates there to Toril. I lean towards the latter since there seemed to be some long-lasting connection between the Realm and that theme park, and we know that both the Realm and the Realms have a lot of gates to other places.

As for why they would return to the Realm in the first place... This is all pure homebrew, not supported by anything at all:

I figure both Presto and Eric had some home situation they weren't happy with and wanted to get away from (because of their personalities). Everyone else had at the least normal home lives... But then there was an accident, and Bobby and Shiela lost their parents, and both of them suffered permanent injuries as well -- like a lost limb or paralysis. One of the other kids said something about wishing they were still in the Realm where healing magic was available, and the idea took hold. Bobby and Shiela no longer had anything tying them to Earth, and Presto and Eric were more than willing to bail, so Diana and Hank agreed, as well, and they all went back to the theme park and then to the Realm. Maybe there was some caveat about healing or their voluntary return meaning they couldn't leave, or maybe they just collectively preferred the Realm, but the end result was that they stayed there.

Again, pure homebrew, not supported by anything. It was just me trying to make everything make sense.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Aug 2023 01:29:01
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2023 :  02:44:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

My stance is to use the Nick Fury quote from the Avengers movie about councils making decisions.

Funny that there's an exactly opposite stance using a Mace Windu quote from the Star Wars movie about councils making decisions.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 09 Aug 2023 02:45:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2023 :  05:40:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

My stance is to use the Nick Fury quote from the Avengers movie about councils making decisions.

Funny that there's an exactly opposite stance using a Mace Windu quote from the Star Wars movie about councils making decisions.

I have a custom Lego Minifigure I made by putting the head of Nick Fury on the body of Mace Windu.

I call him Darth Fury.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2023 :  20:08:58  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My headcanon is that they made it home, decided to go back to the Realm, and then later moved from the Realm to the Realms.

I say they made it home because there was an episode with a girl who dreamed of the future, and she dreamed of seeing Bobby at her school where he returned the necklace she'd given him. In my opinion, this makes it clear they returned home and back to their previous lives.

But the (horrible!) Grand Tour comic puts them in Shadowdale, and they're referenced in one or more of the Baldur's Gate games, and there's also the movie cameo... So either they left Earth and went to Toril, or they went back to the Realm and then took one of the gates there to Toril. I lean towards the latter since there seemed to be some long-lasting connection between the Realm and that theme park, and we know that both the Realm and the Realms have a lot of gates to other places.

As for why they would return to the Realm in the first place... This is all pure homebrew, not supported by anything at all:

I figure both Presto and Eric had some home situation they weren't happy with and wanted to get away from (because of their personalities). Everyone else had at the least normal home lives... But then there was an accident, and Bobby and Shiela lost their parents, and both of them suffered permanent injuries as well -- like a lost limb or paralysis. One of the other kids said something about wishing they were still in the Realm where healing magic was available, and the idea took hold. Bobby and Shiela no longer had anything tying them to Earth, and Presto and Eric were more than willing to bail, so Diana and Hank agreed, as well, and they all went back to the theme park and then to the Realm. Maybe there was some caveat about healing or their voluntary return meaning they couldn't leave, or maybe they just collectively preferred the Realm, but the end result was that they stayed there.

Again, pure homebrew, not supported by anything. It was just me trying to make everything make sense.

Here’s an addition with slight alterations. Presto remained in the Realm after with the redeemed Venger when all the kids went home in Requiem.

Perhaps Presto, slightly older and having been mentored by Venger, found his way to Toril through a portal.

Here he tried to apprentice to Elminster like mentioned in that awful book, but then when setting out on his own he came across a threat he couldn’t overcome in his own, thus using his magic to contact his old buddies back on Earth using Els contacts. Voila

It seems they also got their weapons back which perhaps Venger helped with.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2023 :  01:11:37  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So we have an appearance in the 1300s with Elminster in the Grand Tour comic, and then suddenly the kids are still alive in 1490s Faerun for the movie. All alive too, despite a very deadly Spellplague in between that should've turned Presto at least into a goner.

I'm guessing they got home and were on Earth at least during the Spellplague. How or why they came back in time for the movie is still unclear.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2023 :  02:16:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Master Katarn

So we have an appearance in the 1300s with Elminster in the Grand Tour comic, and then suddenly the kids are still alive in 1490s Faerun for the movie. All alive too, despite a very deadly Spellplague in between that should've turned Presto at least into a goner.

I'm guessing they got home and were on Earth at least during the Spellplague. How or why they came back in time for the movie is still unclear.

It's possible that they were in the Realms for over a century, and like many others, found some convenient "keep them in play" McGuffin that brought them back after the Spellplague.

But I think it's all a moot point. The comic retcons the cartoon and prior appearances by them in the Realms, and thanks to WotC's stance on canon, the comic, the movie, and the current published Realms are all different canons -- so they're not even going to think about explaining anything.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2023 :  23:55:20  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone actually read these new comics!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2023 :  04:40:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Did anyone actually read these new comics!

I read the first one. It was not enough to motivate me to get the rest.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000