Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Spoken Non-Common Languages
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zyzzyva
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2023 :  03:28:30  Show Profile Send zyzzyva a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Am realizing as of this session the campaign I'm currently running (essentially a proxy war of the Blood War) is going to have quite a few non-native speakers talking in Abyssal and Infernal.

Based on that, I was wondering what information there is / what folks' headcanons are for the general phonetic characteristics of various non-Common languages.

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2023 :  00:02:10  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I did this in my old 2E Dragon article on FR languages (drawing on what lore existed at the time and which was the basis for what came after more or less, albeit cut back a fair bit). If you look at the wiki page, such as this one, https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Jhaamdathan_language, you can find a list of the human language groups. If you go to the respective page for the overarching language groups you will find inspired by/suggestions as to real world accents. The one thing I kinda regret is that people took that to mean that those cultures mirrored our real world cultures, which most often they don't quite (though a few certainly do such as the Northmen, Ffolk, Old Empires, Zakhara, and Kara-Tur to name a few).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000