Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ed has launched a Patreon and a Discord server!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  19:57:18  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
https://www.patreon.com/EdGreenwood/posts

quote:
Show your support as I continue my adventure to tell the best stories possible by writing new material, shooting videos, traveling to events, and more! Get access to all of my exclusive #RealmsLore and access to polls which will help determine what we talk about on my various channels.
The content on these pages is not affiliated with Wizards of the Coast or Hasbro in any way. This is fan content by the biggest and first fan of the Realms, its creator. Much of what you read here is for my personal Forgotten Realms campaign.
Some of these musings on the Realms would be cleaned up and expanded if they were to ever appear in an official publication, but becoming a patron will allow you an inside look into my process. From inspiration, to "writing out loud", to almost finished, the #RealmsLore contained herein is in various stages of development. Some of the less finished ones might make great topics of conversation in the Discord!

Permanent invite link to his Discord server: https://discord.gg/hP3sYh6fPP

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  20:05:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm subscribed. Cant afford the £100+ a month that Ed deserves, but he gets my money and i get his posts and videos.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  20:49:52  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, he has my money for as long as I can afford it or my wife finds out I have another subscription (whichever comes first).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  23:00:43  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is pretty cool. Can't really afford/justify $100 a month, which is where the really cool stuff is....not without some budget cuts. I can probably get by with two meals a day, right? :D
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2023 :  00:19:20  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is good to see. But it does make me wonder if Ed got official word that WotC is basically done with FR. Or maybe he just saw the writing on the wall like so many of us have.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2023 :  04:47:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so the $100 level is MONTHLY? I dunno how Patreon works...

And by the by...having to wait so long to make another post when my time is really fleeting is a reason it is hard for me to do any posting here (not that my posts are monumental or anything...)

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2023 :  05:37:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's different tiers of access/benefits. $100 is the top tier.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2023 :  05:40:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

This is good to see. But it does make me wonder if Ed got official word that WotC is basically done with FR. Or maybe he just saw the writing on the wall like so many of us have.

I don't see any reason to assume either. Patreon lets him get paid for what he's already doing, and he's not limited to chopping up his posts to fit an arbitrarily small size limit on a site that is undergoing some major changes.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2023 :  06:11:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assumed it was two things.

First is the low amounts of return from dmsguild, the second is the impending implosion of twitter (which is Ed's primary means of getting his information out there).

Now Ed has a dedicated platform that makes him regular income.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2023 :  13:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The discord channel supporting the patreon page is also full of positive Realms enthusiasts.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2023 :  15:26:48  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I assumed it was two things.

First is the low amounts of return from dmsguild, the second is the impending implosion of twitter (which is Ed's primary means of getting his information out there).

Now Ed has a dedicated platform that makes him regular income.

The way the organizers of the Patreon and Discord explained it is mostly as you guessed. They shared a screencap of Ed's earnings from the DMGuild and it is truly abysmal compared to how much he sells. A lot of Ed's free time is tied up in his day job, which is totally unrelated to creating Realms lore. The goal is to get Ed enough regular earnings from this so that he can quit his day job and focus entirely on the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Outlaw Pope
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2023 :  20:20:33  Show Profile Send Outlaw Pope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely want to know about the Elder Gods of Calimshan. Baelros and Anachtyr have always been a big curiosity for me.
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  03:20:29  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

I'd guess he did see the writing on the wall. Which is that WotC is by no means done with the Realms, but is done with him.

quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw Pope

I definitely want to know about the Elder Gods of Calimshan. Baelros and Anachtyr have always been a big curiosity for me.

Anachtyr and Bhaelros are on the list, as is one other 'known' name. I don't believe the other six have been mentioned before.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Outlaw Pope
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  13:39:31  Show Profile Send Outlaw Pope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hnnn! Hope I'll get to read eventually. Just saving up some extra dosh to do so.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  14:44:15  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Baelros and Anachtyr are aliases of Talos and Tyr respectively.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  16:30:40  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll definitely subscribe next month. Don't use FR for my game, but new Realmslore by Ed is always welcome, and the man 100% deserves the support.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 11 Feb 2023 16:30:57
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  16:55:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

Baelros and Anachtyr are aliases of Talos and Tyr respectively.

They are now, does not mean it was always so.

Anachtyr was part of a calishite pantheon.

The Tyr of the Faerunian Pantheon might be Anachtyr of old, or he may be the deity that defeated Anachtyr and absorbed him as the Calishite, Illuskan, Tethyrian, and remnants of Jhaamdath and Netherese pantheons all merged together to form the Faerunian Pantheon.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2023 :  17:21:15  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have enough trouble keeping up with the other discord servers I follow lol, but the Patreon is tempting, (though I can't afford top tier).

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2023 :  19:03:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I have enough trouble keeping up with the other discord servers I follow lol, but the Patreon is tempting, (though I can't afford top tier).

Most of the Discord servers I'm on, I don't pay any attention to... With Ed's new one, I now have one that I'll look at daily. I've already gotten answers to a couple of questions there.

Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2023 :  13:02:14  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Most of the Discord servers I'm on, I don't pay any attention to... With Ed's new one, I now have one that I'll look at daily. I've already gotten answers to a couple of questions there.

And there has been some great lore drops there as well on all manner of topics, not the least of which was Ed revealing Harkaum, a world where Larloch has dominated its local liches and seemingly pressed the human population into his service.

The discord is a fun place.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000