Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Which Dale in the Dalelands is the your favorite?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RandoTheCat
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2022 :  12:27:43  Show Profile Send RandoTheCat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Originally I was going to do a poll about which nation in Faerun is your favorite, but there are a LOT of nations.
So I'll now do which Dale in the Dalelands is your favorite! Sadly I won't be including Dales that got removed from the Dalelands (Moondale, Sessrendale, Tarkhaldale, and Teshendale).

Mod edit: Fixed a misspelling in the Subject.

Choices:

Archendale
Tassledale
Daggerdale
Featherdale
Battledale
Harrowdale
Mistledale
Shadowdale
High Dale
Scardale
Deepingdale

(Anonymous Vote)

- Rando

Edited by - RandoTheCat on 16 Nov 2022 21:17:49

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36789 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2022 :  13:58:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Mistledale and Deepingdale, myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

RandoTheCat
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2022 :  14:06:27  Show Profile Send RandoTheCat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My top 3 would have to be Featherdale, Harrowdale, and Mistledale.

- Rando
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
238 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2022 :  17:25:37  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quite like fond of all the Dales, though my favourites would be Archendale and Deepingdale. Archendale I feel is punching way above it's weight, being a quite organized and militaristic state compared to the rest of the Dales and managing to hold back the invasive influence of Sembia nearly all by itself. Deepingdale is interesting in being one of the last major sanctuaries of Elvish culture left in Cormanthor, that is until the reclamation of Myth Drannor in the 1370s.

Edited by - deserk on 05 Nov 2022 17:26:18
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2022 :  20:21:06  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skipping Daggerdale and Deepingdale as well??
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2022 :  20:58:34  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daggerdale wasn't an option, so I chose Scardale.

I like Daggerdale because of its location to lots of adventure locations:

Desert, Check
Forest, Check
Mountains, Check
etc.

It is also a great place to fight the Zhents, explore ruins, and maybe later found your own holdings.

Of the available options, I chose Scardale because it is a favorite of mine from playing an old character of mine. Grayson Haeldreth, former War Wizard of Cormyr (2e era). Hauling around his bow and blade, Grayson had many adventures in Scardale:

Fighting Pirates, exploring the elven woods, fending off Zhents and so much more. The port city was a nice add as well; something other dales don't really get much thought on. Lots of cutthroat intrigue and so on.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2022 :  21:00:54  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Desert, Check
Forest, Check
Mountains, Check
etc.

It is also a great place to fight the Zhents, explore ruins, and maybe later found your own holdings.

Of the available options, I chose Scardale because it is a favorite of mine from playing an old character of mine. Grayson Haeldreth, former War Wizard of Cormyr (2e era). Hauling around his bow and blade, Grayson had many adventures in Scardale:

Fighting Pirates, exploring the elven woods, fending off Zhents and so much more. The port city was a nice add as well; something other dales don't really get much thought on. Lots of cutthroat intrigue and so on.

Don't forget, Daggerdale also has a couple notable ruins (old castles), gemstone mines beneath the hills, and known passages connecting to the Underdark. Check Check Check :P
Go to Top of Page

RandoTheCat
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2022 :  02:12:29  Show Profile Send RandoTheCat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine would be Featherdale, mostly because of the old Volo's guidebooks. I'd like to imagine Feather Falls being like the waterfalls I've seen before where I live.
I also enjoy the description of Blackfeather bridge in the book, and I am excited to see how much of a larger town it comes to be due to trade.
Also, chill farmers, what's not to love?

- Rando
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1308 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2022 :  04:14:06  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might be the only advocate for The High Dale .

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1279 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  23:21:35  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mistledale. I just am a sucker for Ashabenford and it seems like the best dale to live in.
I mean...Shadowdale is the obvious choice too.
Go to Top of Page

RandoTheCat
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  23:44:59  Show Profile Send RandoTheCat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mistledale is great! They survive the brunt of attacks from incoming armies, they defeated Lashan (With some help), and all of it is very peaceful, as long as you don't go into the beast country west of Peldan's Helm. All of the stores and inns in Ashabenford are great too! Especially with the popular brewery there, the dale is bound to always get trade.

- Rando
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2022 :  08:35:58  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Mistledale. I just am a sucker for Ashabenford and it seems like the best dale to live in.
I mean...Shadowdale is the obvious choice too.

I'd say Shadowdale is the least appealing. Its residents are constantly getting killed despite being protected by archmages and the knights. Add to this it is pretty much the battle ground every time someone wants a war. Not a good place to settle down.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2022 :  19:32:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Desert, Check
Forest, Check
Mountains, Check
etc.

Don't forget, Daggerdale also has a couple notable ruins (old castles), gemstone mines beneath the hills, and known passages connecting to the Underdark. Check Check Check :P

Well, either the options were changed or Daggerdale was missed by me in the first run on voting?

Anyway, Daggerdale has always been my favorite Dale for adventuring.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

RandoTheCat
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2022 :  20:43:29  Show Profile Send RandoTheCat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always think that an idealistic backwater place that suddenly gets put in the spotlit isn't that idealistic anymore. Afterall, you aren't in Shadowdale, you are pretty much in Elmister and every other famous person that lives there's Dale

- Rando
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2022 :  15:18:32  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daggerdale - Mistledale - Archendale

Daggerdale has a bit of everything
Mistledale mainly because I've campaigned there and really liked the area
Archendale for the fact that it really isn't a 'dale' anymore, it's more akin to Sembia these days and that makes it interesting

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Kelcimer
Learned Scribe

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2022 :  06:33:32  Show Profile Send Kelcimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Battledale. My third campaign started and finished there. The start was the players being hold hunters and that was terrific. I wanted to have a couple small adventures before they got the hook for the big continent spanning adventure. If I had to do it again, I would have not gone that route, because my favorite parts pf the campaign were whenever they got back to Battledale (which they did a few times during the campaign). At the time I thought it would be a way to interact with various far flung parts of Faerun as a precursor to future visits, but as it turned out, I never found a reason to go back to most of those places.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11800 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2022 :  15:05:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tarkhaldale

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1308 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2022 :  16:44:34  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Earnhardt.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36789 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2022 :  18:56:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Earnhardt.

If we had a facepalm emoji, I'd be using that, now.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2022 :  22:50:53  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scardale, while kicking the snot out of some guy named Lashan, is my first FR Adventure ever so yeahhh...that was an easy one.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

MrMcQ
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2022 :  10:29:32  Show Profile Send MrMcQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For adventure Daggerdale, but I'd retire in Deepingdale
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2023 :  21:28:01  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Scardale, while kicking the snot out of some guy named Lashan, is my first FR Adventure ever so yeahhh...that was an easy one.

Lashan was reborn as a nycaloth, so he now is a better challenge.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2023 :  22:48:46  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Sleyvas, Tarkhaldale.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2023 :  08:26:36  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowdale.
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2023 :  15:20:51  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to go with Mistledale, primarily because I used it in an adventure I put up on the DMs Guild. It was a good location that had all of the sites I needed to convert the adventure from a personal campaign setting I wrote.

Edited by - DoveArrow on 11 Aug 2023 16:59:10
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6661 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2023 :  03:41:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragondale.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36789 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2023 :  05:32:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Dragondale.

-- George Krashos

You really like teasing us with bits like this, don't you?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6661 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2023 :  14:02:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Dragondale.

-- George Krashos

You really like teasing us with bits like this, don't you?

Yeah, I kind of do.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000