Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Horusret I & Horustep I
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kilamandaros
Acolyte

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2022 :  10:20:33  Show Profile Send Kilamandaros a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello sages, hopefully you can help me - looking at the royal line of Mulhorand, thanks to Ed's twitter post (with George's input) from 2020 we have a pretty comprehensive picture of the royal line of Mulhorand with the dates and fate of each pharaoh. The one gap I can see is what ended the reign of Horusret I? We know he ruled from -1045 to -926 DR before being replaced by Ramenhorus I, but not the reason for the end of his reign.

As we know it wouldn't be old age, so his reign must have come to an end somehow.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: the same is true for Horustep I, any information on these 2 greatly appreciated!

"It is you, after all, which has brought us to the dream. Nothing is real. Yet."

Edited by - Kilamandaros on 26 Jun 2022 10:23:46

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2022 :  01:38:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Horusret I was slain by Setkhamun, incarnation of Set, in -926 DR.

Horustep I died as a consequence of a magical backlash during Karsus' Folly in -339 DR.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kilamandaros
Acolyte

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2022 :  09:53:39  Show Profile Send Kilamandaros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great thanks George, that's super helpful!

One more if you don't mind: I notice that of the entire royal succession, only once did Horus-Re 'switch' to the next heir in line before the death of his current incarnation; that being Akonhorus I who reigned until 955DR but didn't die until 976DR during the Rising of the Orcgates.

What would have caused the essence of Horus-Re to move to Ramenhorus III? As we know old age wouldn't be a factor, so presumably there must have been some event that caused Horus-Re to move to his heir ahead of time? As Akonhorus I was known as 'the Valiant' then doesn't seem like there would be any malicious reason...

"It is you, after all, which has brought us to the dream. Nothing is real. Yet."
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2022 :  10:14:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think i can answer that one.

Slight snafu on the dates it would appear.

The Orcgates Affair was in 955 DR so Akonhorus I would have been slain in 955 DR not in 976 DR (which incidentally is when Mulhorand invades Thay and its forces are defeated at the River Thazarim.

I suspect George originally intended for Akonhorus I to die in 976 DR but changed his mind later, perhaps after noting the Mulhorandi army was mostly Chessentan mercenaries and may not have been led by the pharaoh himself.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Kilamandaros
Acolyte

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2022 :  10:18:43  Show Profile Send Kilamandaros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, that makes sense, thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2022 :  10:22:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an aside, i'm wondering if the 976 DR Mulhorandi invasion of Thay was not instigated by a tipoff from the Covenant about who originally caused the Rising of the Orcgates.

The Covenant discovers the Red Wizards are responsible in 976 DR, they battle the Red Wizards from that date onwards. In the same year Mulhorand sends a huge invasion but it fails, could it be the invasion was very hastily mustered and poorly planned, and using mostly mercenaries, just to get a petty revenge on the Red Wizards and show them that such acts will not go unpunished?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2022 :  06:26:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As usual, Gary is correct - the correct date is 955 DR which tallies with the Rising of the Orcgates.

As for who tipped off the God Kings about Thay's machinations, one Jholnareer may have just been receiving some magical tutelage from one Presper in 955 DR and may have lsent a message south to Skuld when he came back to Milvarn in 968 DR. Maybe.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 28 Jun 2022 06:28:43
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2022 :  06:28:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As usual, Gary is correct - the correct date is 955 DR which tallies with the Rising of the Orcgates.

As for who tipped off the God Kings about Thay's machinations, one Jholnareer may have just been receiving some magical tutelage from one Presper in 955 DR and may have let his dad know. Who may have sent a message south to Skuld. Maybe.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2022 :  12:38:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, new mulhorand lore. I like that one, its going in my archive

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2022 :  21:57:20  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

As for who tipped off the God Kings about Thay's machinations, one Jholnareer may have just been receiving some magical tutelage from one Presper in 955 DR and may have let his dad know. Who may have sent a message south to Skuld. Maybe.

-- George Krashos

If not Presper, then Agannazar, Grimwald and Illykur are the next suspects.

Edited by - Delnyn on 28 Jun 2022 22:00:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000