Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Name of the years
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

141 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2022 :  10:57:44  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am currently reading The Wyvern's Spur. The FR lore is as well integrated as in Azure Bonds, which makes me think that if I identify a mistake, either I am wrong, or it is a later retcon.

The book is set in the Year of Shadows; it is the year mentioned in Giogi's journal, every event mentioned in the book is consistent with the year being 1358 DR, and the book was published shortly after the Avatars trilogy. So the dating is quite clear. Yet Olive finds a letter dated from 1306, Year of the Temples, which she claims is precisely 27 years earlier. The Roll of the Year gives 1306 DR = Year of Thunder, there is no year of the Temples, and the difference in dates seems to only be explainable by Olive using a different calendar (when speaking with a Cormite). I could understand it if the name of the year 1306 hadn't been decided yet, and The Finder's Spur had been ignored when completing the Roll of the Years, but I can't explain the discrepancy in the numbers.

It's not the first time I see an inconsistency between the Roll of the Years and dates in the novels, but I find that one weird, because of the circumstances (two people in Cormyr using years to date relatively recent events, rather than quotes from books or sages referring to distant times and places). What is the explanation for such chronology issues?

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2022 :  13:34:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The answer to your question is that Olive is talking in CR (Cormyr Reckoning), not DR (Dalereckoning). To do a conversion you do CR +25 = DR. And if you add 1306 + 25 +27, you get 1358 DR which is the year the novel is set in.

Also, there are a number of apocryphal years - thanks for finding another one for my list! To explain away these errors, Ed Greenwood has long maintained that some areas (Cormyr being one of them) use "regional" year names from time to time to highlight events specific to that time. So, seemingly something occurred regarding the faiths of Faerûn in Cormyr in 1331 DR (1306 CR + 25). Given Azoun IV lost his sister Sulesta to an accident that year, perhaps the grieving mother Tanalusta Truesilver did the rounds of the temples/shrines of Cormyr praying for the soul of her daughter and her afterlife.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 03 May 2022 13:22:40
Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

141 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2022 :  14:12:06  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it could be a different calendar, and I still didn't think to check what was used in Cormyr! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2022 :  16:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The answer to your question is that Olive is talking in CR (Cormyr Reckoning), not DR (Dalereckoning). To do a conversion you do CR +25 = DR. And if you add 1306 + 25 +27, you get 1358 DR which is the year the novel is set in.

Also, there are a number of apocryphal years - thanks for finding another one for my list! To explain away these errors, Ed Greenwood has long maintained that some areas (Cormyr being one of them) use "regional" year names from time to time to highlight events specific to that time. So, seemingly something occurred regarding the faiths of Faerûn in Cormyr in 1331 DR (1306 CR + 25). Given Azoun IV lost his sister Sulesta to an accident that year, perhaps the grieving mother Tanalusta Truesilver did the rounds of the temples/shrines of Cormyr praying for the soul of her daughter and her afterlife.

-- George Krashos

Here's George showing off that talented ledgermain he's so gifted in performing…and in helping patch over and hide the seams and grafts that are necessary in group-crafted worldbuilding.

Steven
who's responsible for many a year name slip-up himself, which is why George has gotten so good with the "That's not a bug—it's a feature!" response first used by me and Eric Boyd in days of yore…

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2022 :  16:42:40  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Here's George showing off that talented ledgermain he's so gifted in performing…and in helping patch over and hide the seams and grafts that are necessary in group-crafted worldbuilding.

Steven
who's responsible for many a year name slip-up himself, which is why George has gotten so good with the "That's not a bug—it's a feature!" response first used by me and Eric Boyd in days of yore…

LOL, someone is showing their software development defense...

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2022 :  18:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really do prefer when errors are used as opportunities to expand the mythos. Kudos.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000