Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Speaking of the 80s D&D Cartoon...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2022 :  03:46:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is Dragons of Stormwreck Isle Based on the 80s D&D Cartoon?

If this is true, me getting the product is a definite thing!

Also... I'm hoping they bring back the DVDs. I had them, but now I'll be dipped if I can find them. I'd love to replace them with a new set, or maybe upgrade them to Blu-Ray.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2022 :  05:24:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But then the internet would have to invent a new word. The animated-cute-talking-unicorn equivalent of "brony"/"bronies".

So count me out unless they chop the unicorn. Or maybe make the DM more Yoda. Or add a few more heads onto Tiamat.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2022 :  02:13:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stumbled across the clean artwork for the cover.

The acrobatic young lady isn't wearing the fur bikini of the cartoon, but this otherwise looks a lot like Hank and Diana -- especially that bow.

Go to Top of Page

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2022 :  16:28:21  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind a treatment of the D&D cartoon setting. It seems like a rather terrible place, a points of light setting.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2022 :  22:18:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt they'll do a full-on setting of it; I expect we'll get the kids, now as young adults, in an adventure (which would violate the cartoon's canon*), with fuller write-ups than what we saw in 3E.

(*not that canon is a concern for WotC)

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2022 :  21:11:03  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely two of the kids.

Which "canon", the unproduced final script? Or BG2 rumors that Tiamat ate them?

Either way I think its open ended what happened to them. If anything BG2 appearance technically places them in the Forgotten Realms.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2022 :  23:27:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Definitely two of the kids.

Which "canon", the unproduced final script? Or BG2 rumors that Tiamat ate them?

Either way I think its open ended what happened to them. If anything BG2 appearance technically places them in the Forgotten Realms.

There was an episode where they encountered another kid from Earth. She was a girl, about Bobby's age, and she could see the future in her dreams -- which would come true.

The kids managed to get her back to Earth, but couldn't go there themselves for some reason. She had grown close to Bobby, and as she was going into the portal, she tossed him her necklace.

Later, upset about being separated from her, Bobby is about to chuck the necklace. The Dungeon Master shows up, and shares with Bobby the dream the girl had the night before going home. In the dream, she's walking through her school, minding her own business, when a familiar voice says "Hey, didja lose something?" She looks up and Bobby is standing there holding her necklace, and wearing normal clothing.

So, if her dreams always came true and she dreamed about Bobby being back on Earth, then it establishes that the kids would make it back while still roughly the same age.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Apr 2022 23:28:28
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2022 :  23:39:23  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sadistic of Dungeon Master to introduce newly arrived teenagers to a hostile encounter with Tiamat.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2022 :  01:57:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Pretty sadistic of Dungeon Master to introduce newly arrived teenagers to a hostile encounter with Tiamat.

I think it was more like it was with Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Luke Skywalker: someone needed to face Vader, and Luke was the only one handy.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2022 :  18:33:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
I think it was more like it was with Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Luke Skywalker: someone needed to face Vader, and Luke was the only one handy.

The Dungeon Master did equip his inexperienced PCs with overkill magic items they never earned. A very high-magic, Monty Hall campaign.

He also displayed a lot of poorly-disguised favouritism towards certain members of his group. Along with a little fudging of rules and dice rolls. His faves would simply never lose and never fail.

And he played his aggressive, fast, 5-headed "genius" monster like it was a half-scared clumsy mentally-incompetent animal.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 30 Apr 2022 18:33:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2022 :  18:55:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

And he played his aggressive, fast, 5-headed "genius" monster like it was a half-scared clumsy mentally-incompetent animal.

That's pretty common, among Dungeon Masters.

I recall one person going on and on about how his 10th-level paladin could solo a full-grown dragon, and the dude got the most bewildered expression on his face when I responded with "not if I was running the dragon."

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2022 :  16:01:03  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I recall one person going on and on about how his 10th-level paladin could solo a full-grown dragon, and the dude got the most bewildered expression on his face when I responded with "not if I was running the dragon."

I'm intrigued as to what this player said, in an amused way. Was this a 1st edition dragon with "small" Hit Dice and the DM rolled a low d% on the sleeping chance? Also sounds likely the DM acted as described by Ayrik.

Back to the cartoon. I always wondered why Optimus Prime Venger did not simply telekinese the six weapons from the kids.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2022 :  16:37:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm intrigued as to what this player said, in an amused way. Was this a 1st edition dragon with "small" Hit Dice and the DM rolled a low d% on the sleeping chance? Also sounds likely the DM acted as described by Ayrik.

I don't recall the details, but it was 1st Edition. And I recall the guy telling me about a house rule they had where magic missiles could be cast but not actually used until later, so a spellcaster could have dozens of castings of the spell ready to go off at once, when he unleased the entire "missile rack" in one round, killing even powerful monsters in a single attack.

There's a reason I didn't take this dude up on his offer to join his gaming group.

quote:

Back to the cartoon. I always wondered why Optimus Prime Venger did not simply telekinese the six weapons from the kids.

He could have also hired some thieves to steal them, or taken hostages and demanded the weapons in exchange, employed an assassin to poison the kids... The list goes on. But none of that happened because it was a kid's show in an era where TSR rules were explicit that in fiction, the bad guy couldn't win, even temporarily.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 May 2022 16:41:20
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2022 :  20:29:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1E already had the common/implied/understood rule that there was no upper limit to how many magic missile projectiles you get per casting. Characters with insanely-high experience levels could get insanely-high missile barrages from each casting. No need to modify the rules. And nobody sensible would do so anyways once they realized their own characters could be hit by such barrages.

And 1E also had a 1st-level spell called shield which is utterly impervious to such missiles. I know this is an exotic piece of trivia that most 1E powergamers found entirely disinteresting, if they were aware of it at all.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2022 :  20:58:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

1E already had the common/implied/understood rule that there was no upper limit to how many magic missile projectiles you get per casting. Characters with insanely-high experience levels could get insanely-high missile barrages from each casting. No need to modify the rules. And nobody sensible would do so anyways once they realized their own characters could be hit by such barrages.

That can be scary, but even with a high-level wizard, it's still 20d4s.

But in this case, it was house-ruled that the spells could be left hanging, so instead of potentially 20d4s, it could be like 100d4s, if not more. That'll scare a lot of stuff, especially if you add in the sadly-common thing in these cases of "despite it's genius-level intellect, the monster doesn't do anything intelligent to defend itself."

quote:

And 1E also had a 1st-level spell called shield which is utterly impervious to such missiles. I know this is an exotic piece of trivia that most 1E powergamers found entirely disinteresting, if they were aware of it at all.

Hmmm, wonder why they didn't care for that one?

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2022 :  21:18:10  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, so how does a 1st ed paladin cast magic user spells such as magic missile?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2022 :  22:24:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm, so how does a 1st ed paladin cast magic user spells such as magic missile?

Clearly dual classed

I suspect same player talking about different PCs as more likely better answer.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 22 May 2022 22:26:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000