Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The ending of the Shandril Saga *SPOILERS*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2022 :  23:56:08  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey,

This is probably an old-old question and may have no answer but did Ed ever say why he chose to end the Spellfire books the way he did? I seem to recall finally reading the third and final volume before being genuinely surprised at the tonal shift.

I mean OOMPH.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2022 :  08:21:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The original plan was for a 4 book series with the 3rd book to have Shandril safely arrive in Silverymoon and the 4th book deal with what happened to her there.

Then Ed was told that he was only going to get one more book to tell her story and that she needed to die (3E was coming and spellfire wasn't something they wanted to deal with straight away). When he questioned this he was told that he could write it or they would get someone else to. He wrote it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2022 :  13:55:46  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn, that's disappointing.

I was hoping that Wizards of the Coast was friendlier to Ed in terms of artistic control given 3rd Edition had seemed like it allowed more of "his" Realms and a re-release of the Saga in their larger form. It seems like they were even worse in some ways than TSR.

Thank you for sharing that.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 11 Mar 2022 14:07:34
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2022 :  15:06:11  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I was hoping that Wizards of the Coast was friendlier to Ed in terms of artistic control given 3rd Edition had seemed like it allowed more of "his" Realms and a re-release of the Saga in their larger form. It seems like they were even worse in some ways than TSR.

-I have no clue about that particular relationship, and no insight into this in general, but as an outsider looking in, a consumer, the 3e era books definitely seemed like authors had more creative control and/or fewer WotC-imposed restrictions. Not that 2e era books were corny or cartoonish, but 3e era books definitely felt more serious with fewer things no-nos.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 12 Mar 2022 15:06:46
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2022 :  15:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mostly, I know from second hand and the Foreword to the re-release that Ed Greenwood's original vision for the Shandril Saga was badly beaten up by TSR.

* Having to cut huge sections of the novel out, like a third.

* Toning down how menacing and awful the Zhents were.

* His continued battle with censorship.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2022 :  17:43:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

-I have no clue about that particular relationship, and no insight into this in general, but as an outsider looking in, a consumer, the 3e era books definitely seemed like authors had more creative control and/or fewer WotC-imposed restrictions. Not that 2e era books were corny or cartoonish, but 3e era books definitely felt more serious with fewer things no-nos.

A lot of the 2E stuff was written under TSR's ridiculous Code of Ethics. With the Satanic Panic of the 80's and a lot of other negative PR directed at D&D, TSR was overly sensitive to anything that could feed into that. So a lot of stuff was sanitized and Disneyfied, and directives such as "evil can't win, even temporarily" got in the way of proper story-telling. I've read, even, that the 2E renaming of devils to baatezu and demons to tanar'ri was a part of this.

(I personally liked that renaming; among other things, I think it makes them sound more exotic, and it made it easier to keep them straight in my head.)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000