Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Temples of Loviatar: any example/source?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2022 :  14:43:05  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fellow scribes,

my players finally made it to Dambrath.

I'd like for them to face a Crinti cell, placed in a fallen city (Cathyr? Maarlith perhaps?)
I rummaged through a lot of old lore and books, without finding any official lore about Loviatar's temples (I hoped for a generic map...)

In Shining South (3e), even if Crinti's main faith is Loviatar, yet the only interesting thing about a temple in Dambrath is about Lolth. Go figure.

I also tried on Adventure Lookup, hoping to find an old module on her faith.
Zero. Niet. Nada.

Is the Maiden of Pain so under-utilized?

Thank you for your help.

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2022 :  15:01:18  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portuguese D. Ace

Fellow scribes,

my players finally made it to Dambrath.

I'd like for them to face a Crinti cell, placed in a fallen city (Cathyr? Maarlith perhaps?)
I rummaged through a lot of old lore and books, without finding any official lore about Loviatar's temples (I hoped for a generic map...)

In Shining South (3e), even if Crinti's main faith is Loviatar, yet the only interesting thing about a temple in Dambrath is about Lolth. Go figure.

I also tried on Adventure Lookup, hoping to find an old module on her faith.
Zero. Niet. Nada.

Is the Maiden of Pain so under-utilized?

Thank you for your help.

She's always been great for referencing and hinting at the evils of her worship. That said, we'd never detailed much about her ecclesiastical practices, temple layouts & equipment, etc. for a simple reason TSR's code of ethics wouldn't allow for any writing about torture beyond vague hints, let alone anything spicier.

Thus, I suspect the place with the most info on Loviatar's worship & such would be FAITHS & AVATARS and PRAYERS FROM THE FAITHFUL.

If there's more lore to be found on her worship, I suspect Eric Boyd will be chiming in with corrections to my musings herein.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 18 Feb 2022 15:01:44
Go to Top of Page

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2022 :  15:09:45  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

She's always been great for referencing and hinting at the evils of her worship. That said, we'd never detailed much about her ecclesiastical practices, temple layouts & equipment, etc. for a simple reason TSR's code of ethics wouldn't allow for any writing about torture beyond vague hints, let alone anything spicier.

Thus, I suspect the place with the most info on Loviatar's worship & such would be FAITHS & AVATARS and PRAYERS FROM THE FAITHFUL.

If there's more lore to be found on her worship, I suspect Eric Boyd will be chiming in with corrections to my musings herein.

Steven

Thank you for your help Steven, it's spot on. I already perused Faiths & Avatars and, indeed, the most useful informations were there (I laughed out loud reading that High level priestess carry some Iron Bands of Bilarro).
Unluckily there's nothing much about temples and such.
Prayers from the Faithul is a fantastic advice, I totally forgot to check it.
Thank you.

TSR's Code of Ethics as a lack of info is super interesting tidbit, but thinking that Loviatar's faithfuls "treatments" are not ok, but Lolth's shenanigans are... to me, it's funny to say the least!

Thanks again!

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====

Edited by - Portuguese D. Ace on 18 Feb 2022 15:10:46
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2022 :  18:03:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a map of a Temple of Loviatar and some priestess you can speak with in the Adventure League Core: 1-1 adventure A Scream in the Night regarding Melvaunt.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2022 :  18:28:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure what version of game you're playing, but in 3.5 there's a maiden of pain prestige class in Player's Guide to Faerun. In indicates that they're addicted to the drug known as agony and they can deliver touch attacks via a whip, they get a pain touch special ability, and they get some improved abilities with the whip (improved trip and improved disarm) along with advancing spellcasting.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2022 :  22:27:31  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you would like a floorplan for something that would be similar to a Lovitar temple, there is a map included in the Web Article Monks of the Long Death. You can get a link to that at https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Rand%27s_Travelogue#:~:text=List%20of%20articles%20%20%20%20Title%20,%20Silver%20Marches%20%2017%20more%20rows%20

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2022 :  01:42:51  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dungeon #90 has an underground Temple of Loviatar.

There was also some slight detailing of a temple to Loviatar in the Maiden of Pain novel -- part of "The Priests" series.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1308 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2022 :  06:54:45  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pick a bordello: any bordello.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2022 :  08:06:15  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This depends on how many worshipers, how dedicated they are and exactly what this particular sect does. In case of Loviatar even more than usually.
Obviously, the temple will be set up in very different ways depending on their status (which covers the entire range from "state religion" to "tolerated, unwilling to rock the boat" to "persecuted, secret") and whether their worship is focused on dark dank torture dungeons or casual bondage/whip parties keeping the aristocracy from being bored, etc. "For the glory!", etc.
Also, was it built for this role, or is it just a small mansion where common sleepy greengrocers used to dwell, but now the priestesses own it, and they somewhat redecorated the place?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Scars Unseen
Acolyte

Japan
16 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2022 :  11:39:09  Show Profile Send Scars Unseen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first thought is that a temple to Loviatar would resemble the Conviction arc of the manga Berserk. At least in any region where her practitioners were able to worship freely.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000