Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Steve Perrin Dead at 75
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2021 :  08:37:31  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Saw that Steve Perrin died Aug 13th 2021.

Forgotten Realms Works by Steve Perrin

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 14 Aug 2021 09:47:22

nblanton
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2021 :  20:42:26  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sucks to hear. Oddly, just got my physical copy of Lords of Darkness yesterday. It was one of the few things I never had the original.

It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, if it goes against the obvious intent of the game.

Afterword, DMG pg 230.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2021 :  21:45:45  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A great man. Thank you for all of your contributions to the lore down the years.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2021 :  22:03:49  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tragic news - with Steve Perrin being a major creator and contributor, being also the one of co-creators of Runequest, Strombringer, and Call of Cthulhu among things.

Rest in peace Steve, in the Halls of Glory of RPG legends.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11800 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2021 :  22:21:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, he was the original author of Dreams of the Red Wizards. Seems I owe him a lot of respect (granted it was an early work that was improved upon later, but a lot of times its that foundation that helps).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2021 :  02:12:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just one single page of Realmslore has consumed me for decades (FR6 Dreams of Red Wizards, p.6). Vale Steve Perrin.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2021 :  22:16:08  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From those who knew him, Steve Perrin sounds like a wonderful person and game designer. My feed is filled with tributes to him from those who knew him.

In addition to products like FR6 - Dream of Red Wizards, Steve Perrin authored N5 - Under Illefarn, in my opinion one of the foundational 1e products of the Forgotten Realms.

I based Under Illefarn Anew, a free campaign I wrote for 3.5e, on his seminal work:

http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/UnderIllefarnAnew.pdf

From reading his FB page, it looks like his family has already been in need of significant financial support and this is sure to make things worse.

In the spirit of caring for the Forgotten Realms community, I post this link:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/care-for-the-phoenix?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp%20share-sheet&fbclid=IwAR0pShPNXAr769ddQ1IW4jMrJ63AWf0_UKIFZ8pE-Jf7ZO4rVDXL1ACDdME

In the past folks have asked me if there was some way to pay for Under Illefarn Anew. As I do not own the Forgotten Realms, the answer is no. However, if you feel so inclined, a donation to support Steve Perrin's family in their time of need seems like a fitting way to pay him back for his efforts.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 15 Aug 2021 22:27:35
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2021 :  23:07:26  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The North Box Set and Dreams of the Red Wizards are probably 2 of my most used realms resources. I just recently got my hands on a physical copy of Lords of Darkness too.

Rest in Peace Mr. Perrin.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2021 :  23:17:44  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric the Go Fund me page might not be viable as owner of it has died. They might still collect money, however the estate might not get access to collect donated funds. I do not know how the whole system works, just that finances tend to get locked up.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000