Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dungeons & Dragons movie in the Forgotten Realms!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2023 :  17:52:16  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough, Mordenkainen's spells are certainly in the Realms. I just thought why make up a Mordenkainen spell reference when you could easily insert Halaster or the Simbul or Larloch or some Realms wizard to give a nod to the fans of the setting.
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2023 :  18:14:08  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Fair enough, Mordenkainen's spells are certainly in the Realms. I just thought why make up a Mordenkainen spell reference when you could easily insert Halaster or the Simbul or Larloch or some Realms wizard to give a nod to the fans of the setting.

Mordenkainen was Gary Gygax's player character and the reference was likely a nod to him as the creator of D&D. Elminster similarly was the shoutout to Greenwood. If you replaced the Mordenkainen reference, the film loses out on the Gygax homage.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2023 :  18:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take the view that I want my Dungeons and Dragons movies to aim for, "a bunch of friends around the table having fun while being utterly ridiculous." Basically, Critical Role and The Legend of Vox Machina over trying to be the Lord of the Rings. I'm not even putting down Forgotten Realms as a medium here because my favorite Forgotten Realms books are the Jeff Grubb Azure Bonds and Forgotten Realms comics works. The stuff that isn't afraid to be unabashedly silly like Dragonbait the Paladin or the fact they have a dwarven female golem (well before Dragon Age).

There's a lot of people who want a deeply powerful and serious D&D movie experience, though.

And this is my movie, not their's, for better and worse.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2023 :  19:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I take the view that I want my Dungeons and Dragons movies to aim for, "a bunch of friends around the table having fun while being utterly ridiculous." Basically, Critical Role and The Legend of Vox Machina over trying to be the Lord of the Rings. I'm not even putting down Forgotten Realms as a medium here because my favorite Forgotten Realms books are the Jeff Grubb Azure Bonds and Forgotten Realms comics works. The stuff that isn't afraid to be unabashedly silly like Dragonbait the Paladin or the fact they have a dwarven female golem (well before Dragon Age).

There's a lot of people who want a deeply powerful and serious D&D movie experience, though.

Keep in mind that a good portion of D&D fandom comes from the PC games like Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and Neverwinter Nights, all of which have a mostly serious tone. There actually wasn't that much comical about the movie itself in my opinion.
(spoiler)

Even Forge got serious with that knife, in a villainous way, when it came down to it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2023 :  20:35:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Harpers, the Lords' Alliance, the Emerald Enclave, Thayans, axebeaks, multiple references to Uthgardt tribes, Dolblunde, Neverwinter, Lord Dagult Neverember, other references to established Realms places and canonical NPCs, even a couple shots of the Tears of Selūne -- all that isn't enough of a nod to fans of the setting?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2023 :  20:37:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Master Katarn

I saw it at an Amazon Prime subscriber exclusive preview on March 19 in America. I saw there was also another advance screening circa March 26, at least in America (don't know the details as I already saw the movie on March 19).

In America at least, this movie is basically shown early to people if they really really want to see it (i.e. subscribe to Amazon Prime just to get the early screening). Certainly they're not shy about showing this movie and letting spoilers leak unlike say, the sheer amount of secrecy around the upcoming Mario movie.

The Sunday early showing didn't have any requirements that I'm aware of, and nor does the one tomorrow night.

I'm going to the one tomorrow just for the swag.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2023 :  21:13:48  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Like I said, I'd kill for an Azure Bonds adaption.

And Wooly I'd like more Realms drops, specifically characters not just factions. That's my preference with going with a Realms wizard instead of a Greyhawk wizard in a movie set in the Realms. But again, it's a D&D movie more than a Realms movie. And we did get Szass and Elminster (and Neverember or whatever the 5e Lord of Neverwinter is called)
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2023 :  21:37:13  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Master Katarn

I saw it at an Amazon Prime subscriber exclusive preview on March 19 in America. I saw there was also another advance screening circa March 26, at least in America (don't know the details as I already saw the movie on March 19).

In America at least, this movie is basically shown early to people if they really really want to see it (i.e. subscribe to Amazon Prime just to get the early screening). Certainly they're not shy about showing this movie and letting spoilers leak unlike say, the sheer amount of secrecy around the upcoming Mario movie.

The Sunday early showing didn't have any requirements that I'm aware of, and nor does the one tomorrow night.

I'm going to the one tomorrow just for the swag.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that all of the advance screenings were tied to Amazon, just that the one I chose was. Basically, if you want to see it early, chances are you have a shot.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  03:04:34  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I compiled a potted list of the 'Easter eggs' (not my term), including every bit of Realmslore I could find, roughly in order of Easter-egginess and prominence to obscurity and keeping it spoiler-free.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Forum:Honor_Among_Thieves_-_Easter_Egg_Hunt

Some are obvious and expected, while others are surprisingly obscure to a modern D&D, and the last is some shockingly deep old Realmslore that inspires the whole villain's scheme. Even the unexplained parts are the kinds of hinted-at things we could wonder at and fill in, like any holes in the lore.

Of course, a few may be coincidental and much of the rest is likely because the Forgotten Realms Wiki itself was used as a resource, for good and ill (they were not all the most well-developed topics beforehand).

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  14:18:46  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

quote:
Originally posted by Werthead
Using the MCU as a model, I can see Hasbro/WotC/eOne/Paramount starting off with the obvious, default D&D kind of thing with Forgotten Realms to start with, and possibly Dragonlance (as the archetypal, well-known D&D epic narrative). Then they can gradually bring in more off-the-wall elements later on once the main franchise is established. Spelljammer could be the D&DCU's equivalent of Guardians of the Galaxy, Planescape could be the equivalent of Multiverse of Madness (as far visually mind-bending things go) etc.

eOne have 3 D&D TV shows in development right now. Two are almost (but not quite) certainly going to be set in the Realms, one is likely to be set in Dragonlance, considering it's creator, Joe Manganiello, is a Dragonlance superfan.

I hope, if they do Dragonlance, they resist the urge to drop in some of the Heroes of the Lance. Sure, the setting basically has one story and that one story revolves around those characters, but it gets tiresome to keep going back to the same well over and over again. This would be a great opportunity to branch out and do something new.

That said, I doubt anyone is willing to take that chance, instead of going with something proven.

They confirmed today that it's going to be an adaptation of the Dragonlance novels

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  18:41:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

They confirmed today that it's going to be an adaptation of the Dragonlance novels

Wait -- one of the shows is going to be based on the Dragonlance novels? Didn't they already try to do a Dragonlance movie that stunk on ice?

Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  21:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that has been formally confirmed. Joe Manganiello has just been talking up the possibility again, as he has for years.

Also, one poor prior Dragonlance movie - especially a low-budget animation thing they cranked out sixteen years ago - is not going to impact on them making a proper live-action adaptation in the future. For better or worse, the OG Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy is the one D&D story that's actually had real staying power, so I think they'll take another shot at "doing it right," unlike last time.

Edited by - Werthead on 29 Mar 2023 22:02:31
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  02:10:18  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still hold out hope that WOTC one day wakes up and decides to "do their own thing" and create a main setting for D&D more agreeable to contemporary sensibilities/trends; I still hold out hope that they'll release The Forgotten Realms from its bondage and stop trying to kludge the setting to whatever marketing/PR need of the moment is most pressing (less charitably: profitable). Still, as long as those teats can be squeezed, I'll expect them to continue milking. Now, if I had the budget and the backing of massive creative talent, I'd adapt The Avatar Trilogy or the original Drizzt Do'urden trilogy (yeah, yeah...some of you dislike the guy, but his tales would make for a great spectacle) for the silver screen.

quote:

Maybe it's just me, but I judge movies the same way I judge books: I judge them for what they are, not what I want them to be and certainly not for what they never claimed to be.

Nearly six years ago, I arrived at roughly the same conclusion; if I hear the words "live-action adaptation" concerning an IP that at any point held my interest, I don't bother with any follow-up research and I hope that any marketing dies down upon release. As I said, I'm just bummed that this attempt will clog up search engines when looking up "Dungeons & Dragons" . Well, there's also the fact that this - like Critical Role and entertainment of a similar pulse - will influence people to pursue a zanier model of D&D, but they're mostly 5e fans.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  14:07:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think that has been formally confirmed. Joe Manganiello has just been talking up the possibility again, as he has for years.

Also, one poor prior Dragonlance movie - especially a low-budget animation thing they cranked out sixteen years ago - is not going to impact on them making a proper live-action adaptation in the future. For better or worse, the OG Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy is the one D&D story that's actually had real staying power, so I think they'll take another shot at "doing it right," unlike last time.

While I'm not a huge dragonlance fan, I did enjoy this series long ago and think it would be a good path for them to go. The big thing I see though is that it probably won't have synergy with younger audiences. Those of us in our 40's to 60's were heavily impacted by dragonlance, but I bet very few teens to 30 year olds know much about it, beyond what was recently released in a 5e book. I may be wrong though, and maybe they picked up the books used, etc.... but I think used book stores have mostly died and people get used books from amazon, etc... so browsing is "different".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  16:17:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I guess... It just seemed hollow to me. Sure there were Harpers, and there was a quick flashback with them fighting evil and a beggar tripping someone getting away with a lute. But where is the secret network spying on everyone and everything? Wink to the guy behind the bar, flash a badge, get led through a few back doors into another adjacent building where you sit by a window and watch those chasing after you run by none the wiser. And the Red Wizards had the right garb sure, but are they really attacked on sight? Maybe I'm mistaken but most Thayans that people run into are merchants. Sure if the Red Wizard appears as a rotting corpse yeah kill on sight makes sense. I just feel there was lost nuance that could have been used as plot points.

Isn't the Thayan merchant thing only a 3rd Edition one? I mean, the Thayans got turned into a necrocracy so all of their good will is gone.

Which makes sense because magical merchants is the Zhents thing.

Started in 3rd edition. Continued onward. In 1e/2e there was actual something in dreams of red wizards that they specifically did not sell magic (though that could be interpreted as "powerful magic"... and scrolls/potions/minor magics wouldn't apply). If this is in the 5e era, then there were still red wizard enclaves up until the 1470's/1480's and they were still providing their money to the OUTCAST ZULKIRS as they were still supplying the zulkir of transmutation. That being said, we don't know what percentage were allied to the outcast zulkirs and how many were loyal to Tam's regime.

Although its DM's Guild content, someone made the Thay Land of the Red Wizards product and got Ed's seal of approval. In it, Tam has revived Samas Kul as the Zulkir of Transmutation in undead form, and he serves Tam's will. I presume that many of the enclaves have gotten folded into Thay again in the past ten or so years. I actually find this personally fun, because my ideas with the United Tharchs of Toril are that the thayans that went to Abeir from various enclaves created during the years leading into the rebellion kind of "glorified" the "wisdom" of Samas Kul in expanding outside of Thay, etc... so having them "come back to Toril" and find that Samas Kul has become enslaved by Tam would be "somewhat" like someone in modern America finding out that George Washington is still around and being kept as a vampire ruling over a portion of England. In this same idea, some of the outlying enclaves that never went to Abeir might just see this returning from abeir faction of red wizards (most of whom no longer give a single damn about Thay) and may decide to ally themselves to this wide flung collective of red wizards and establish new "tharchs". I particularly like the idea of the enclaves around the dales and the moonsea establishing a small tharch that works collectively in that region.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 30 Mar 2023 16:40:16
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  16:30:40  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing about an adaptation is that it would bring in NEW audiences.

Same with the Game of Thrones TV show.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  17:22:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Same with the Game of Thrones TV show.

Good point, as I had never read song of ice and fire until season one of GOT. Plus, it might be interesting to see some other folks take a look at dragonlance with an eye towards "what else was going on during the war while the heroes of the lance were doing things". I know that Weiss and Hickman also filled in some of the story with the novels like 10 or 15 years ago (was it 20?), and I've yet to read the new book, but maybe it opens something up. If they started focusing on some of the other activities, they could really make that storyline spread across a lot of seasons.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  20:18:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

While I'm not a huge dragonlance fan, I did enjoy this series long ago and think it would be a good path for them to go. The big thing I see though is that it probably won't have synergy with younger audiences. Those of us in our 40's to 60's were heavily impacted by dragonlance, but I bet very few teens to 30 year olds know much about it, beyond what was recently released in a 5e book. I may be wrong though, and maybe they picked up the books used, etc.... but I think used book stores have mostly died and people get used books from amazon, etc... so browsing is "different".

The original story is a very strong one... But as much as I like Weis & Hickman, the Chronicles & Legends remain the best, by far, and the rest is... okay.

The issue with Dragonlance is that the setting was built around one story, and efforts to get away from that story just haven't worked.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  00:35:45  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If their expectations colored by the adaptation do not align with the source material itself...

quote:

The issue with Dragonlance is that the setting was built around one story, and efforts to get away from that story just haven't worked.

Middle-Earth shares a similar "flaw" (opinions differ as to whether this is indeed a flaw), though in a different context; despite the T man's exhaustive world-building, everything is inevitably centered around Bilbo's escapades and the Fellowship's journey (be it as a collective or individually). The Silly-Marillion reads more like an account of past events as opposed to an actual ongoing adventure which immerses the reader in the moment. I could be off the mark on this one - maybe there are awesome tales generated by the tabletop gaming side of Middle-Earth - but it appears as though an inordinate amount of time is spent discussing the minutiae of main stories than branching out into other regions...other cultures (hello, Haradrim)

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  04:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, Rings of Power was so ridiculously successful it has dwarfed all previous Amazon creations combined.

Even if it's artistically naff.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  05:39:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:

If their expectations colored by the adaptation do not align with the source material itself...

Ummm... How is a new audience going to have expectations based on the source material?

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  06:16:03  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:

Ummm... How is a new audience going to have expectations based on the source material?

My comment was made with the assumption that they - this hypothetical audience - would eventually move onto the source material (i.e., they'd watch the D&D flick before becoming familiarized with actual D&D and/or delving into The Realms proper); first comes expectations based on a Marvel-esque D&D jaunt with FR references and then comes the source material.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  10:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To be fair, that's a thing with all adapted properties. It also generates discussion more often than not. No such thing as bad publicity to say, "The books are SO MUCH BETTER/So much Worse."

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  14:58:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't understand why this movie is said to have a Marvel-esque tone. To my understanding (I don't really watch Marvel/superhero stuff), that tone refers to a bunch of super people joining forces to save the world, while taking the whole matter quite light-heartedly. But this movie doesn't have any world-threatening stuff, and mostly involves one dude trying to get back at an usurper who wants to imprison and execute him. It does have plenty of light-heartedness, and the urgency isn't well conveyed, yes, but that's it.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 31 Mar 2023 14:59:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  15:20:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To those that haven't seen the movie yet, I'll note that there is a minor mid-credits scene, but nothing post-credits.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  15:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't understand why this movie is said to have a Marvel-esque tone. To my understanding (I don't really watch Marvel/superhero stuff), that tone refers to a bunch of super people joining forces to save the world, while taking the whole matter quite light-heartedly. But this movie doesn't have any world-threatening stuff, and mostly involves one dude trying to get back at an usurper who wants to imprison and execute him. It does have plenty of light-heartedness, and the urgency isn't well conveyed, yes, but that's it.

Yes, it has the world-threatening stuff in a Wizard of Thay plot to wipe out Neverwinter.

And he's not interested in the usurper save for the fact they are raising his daughter.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2023 :  23:09:05  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah the way this plot was foiled re Neverwinter was really weak. I still really liked the film, but they should have come up with a better way to end the Neverwinter threat. Once more have seen it I'll go into detail about it, not to spoil!
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2023 :  00:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah the way this plot was foiled re Neverwinter was really weak. I still really liked the film, but they should have come up with a better way to end the Neverwinter threat. Once more have seen it I'll go into detail about it, not to spoil!

Honestly, I didn't think they needed the Neverwinter threat at all.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2023 :  01:55:20  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Dusts off robes.)
quote:
Harpers, the Lords' Alliance, the Emerald Enclave, Thayans, axebeaks, multiple references to Uthgardt tribes, Dolblunde, Neverwinter, Lord Dagult Neverember, other references to established Realms places and canonical NPCs, even a couple shots of the Tears of Selūne -- all that isn't enough of a nod to fans of the setting?

quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

I compiled a potted list of the 'Easter eggs' (not my term), including every bit of Realmslore I could find, roughly in order of Easter-egginess and prominence to obscurity and keeping it spoiler-free.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Forum:Honor_Among_Thieves_-_Easter_Egg_Hunt

Some are obvious and expected, while others are surprisingly obscure to a modern D&D, and the last is some shockingly deep old Realmslore that inspires the whole villain's scheme. Even the unexplained parts are the kinds of hinted-at things we could wonder at and fill in, like any holes in the lore.

Of course, a few may be coincidental and much of the rest is likely because the Forgotten Realms Wiki itself was used as a resource, for good and ill (they were not all the most well-developed topics beforehand).

Just got back from a discount matinee showing. I can confirm that there is a lot of both overt and subtle references, not just in dialogue but in setting and background materials.

Overall the movie feels like someone's campaign brought to life, from an opening involving backstory exposition to numerous points where the party's plans are foiled and have to improvise to events that are clearly natural 1's and natural 20's in action, to appropriate in-world consternation and surprise. It definitely feels more like a passion project than a cash-in farmed out for a license.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2023 :  02:13:18  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

To be fair, that's a thing with all adapted properties. It also generates discussion more often than not. No such thing as bad publicity to say, "The books are SO MUCH BETTER/So much Worse."

A clarification was posted below that aforementioned comment...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000