Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Nether Scrolls - Where is the Magic From
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2021 :  16:45:11  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
When the Ba'etith created the Nether Scrolls, where and whom exactly did they gather all the knowledge from? Primitive tribes? Ok, but did they have magic that powerful? Is there hishna and pluma magic in there?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2021 :  18:10:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question, because honestly, I picture that the humans who took up the worship of the Maztican gods were picking up the worship of basically a pantheon that wasn't aimed at humanity. It very well could have been batrachi, sarrukh, aearee, etc... So, though some might say that pluma and hishna are "divine magics"... I would call it no different than Mystra bringing the weave to people.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2021 :  09:46:14  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mean, it depends on if the World Serpent is some esoteric world god, or the coatl god(s), or Io the dragon god of magic, or something else if not specifically attributed to a one World Serpent and whether or not their literal skin was involved.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6361 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2021 :  10:58:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is the potential for plumage and hishna magic to be present on the nether scrolls.

So the scrolls were created by the sarrukh and added to by the batrachi and aearee from -35000 dr onwards. Originally all continents of toril were joined together, including maztica.

Then the elves cast the sundering and it alters the timeline backwards and forwards, but that doesnt mean it affected everything. Yes the continents moved away and everyone on them also moved but the nether scrolls was an artefact of incredible power so the magical theory already present in the nether scrolls from this time was already present and maybe the magic of the sundering was not strong enough to undo it.

Just a though, somewhat backed up by the couatl calling to the thingulf from across the seas because originally the thingulf were joined to chult before the sundering.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  00:06:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Never liked that the Nether Scrolls were given an origin for this exact reason.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

oden131
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2021 :  19:28:22  Show Profile Send oden131 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
interesting since we now know at the end of rime if the obelisk is used when the pc's reappear a couatl is released

no one expects the spanish inquisition
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2021 :  18:42:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oden131

interesting since we now know at the end of rime if the obelisk is used when the pc's reappear a couatl is released

Ubtao/Qotal ?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2021 :  19:12:22  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

When the Ba'etith created the Nether Scrolls, where and whom exactly did they gather all the knowledge from? Primitive tribes? Ok, but did they have magic that powerful? Is there hishna and pluma magic in there?

Those scrolls
- contain different information for different readers and even on re-reading;
- provide insights on High Magic, among the other things, despite being made before users thereof migrated to Realmspace.
Thus my theory is: the scrolls explore/interpret the Weave as it currently is. Using per-scroll presets and the reader's mind to ensure the information is focused on specific and mostly-accessible topics and presented in a form the reader understands.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2021 :  20:42:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Those scrolls
- contain different information for different readers and even on re-reading;
- provide insights on High Magic, among the other things, despite being made before users thereof migrated to Realmspace.
Thus my theory is: the scrolls explore/interpret the Weave as it currently is. Using per-scroll presets and the reader's mind to ensure the information is focused on specific and mostly-accessible topics and presented in a form the reader understands.

My theory was that the Nether Scrolls adapt to the reader and the magic that is most "natural" to them, also becoming malleable in terms of form/accessibility for that reader. In other words, to me, the Nether Scrolls were only "scrolls" for the Netherese and took a different form for the sarrukh, the batrachi, the aearee, etc. Just a thought.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2021 :  21:16:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This theory doesn't really mesh well with the concept of what the nether scrolls were (i.e. some form of magic record in which different groups recorded types of magic and got together to share their ideas and document them). I only state this because it's almost like we either have the ba'etith roaming the world and documenting the different types of magic OR we have the artifact already having been created and the ba'etith were themselves learning from it. The second option seems viable, its just going against what's been described.

I very much agree on the idea though of the artifacts taking different forms. I'd further state that I bet they're intelligent. I also wouldn't be surprised if they aren't linked directly to the goddess of magic in an odd way.... you know like they themselves are an avatar form (or a portion of an avatar form that only appears if you get all the components gathered).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2021 :  16:41:22  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

My theory was that the Nether Scrolls adapt to the reader and the magic that is most "natural" to them, also becoming malleable in terms of form/accessibility for that reader. In other words, to me, the Nether Scrolls were only "scrolls" for the Netherese and took a different form for the sarrukh, the batrachi, the aearee, etc. Just a thought.

Why not, it's clearly more than just written text, and adapts to the reader.
Since "written text" happens to be a very common interface, it may be that only minor variations were possible, or that only minor variations were necessary.

The Elves had to transform the scrolls to get their fancy tree, however. Which suggests scrolls couldn't go this far on their own, but allow an advanced user to reconfigure.
Then again, if you listen to the elves, they had to create Sun and Moon, so there's also that.
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

This theory doesn't really mesh well with the concept of what the nether scrolls were (i.e. some form of magic record in which different groups recorded types of magic and got together to share their ideas and document them).

This doesn't contradict or support neither "translation" version (they are really huge tomes, just cherry pick and adapt some content) nor "full procedural generation" version (the content is explored/generated with rather specific filters).
quote:
I only state this because it's almost like we either have the ba'etith roaming the world and documenting the different types of magic OR we have the artifact already having been created and the ba'etith were themselves learning from it. The second option seems viable, its just going against what's been described.

Creation of such a thing presumably would involve gathering enormous amount of lore either way. From different traditions if only to be sure it works correctly.
And even if a static collection, it would be useful as a way of sharing within their circle (that being a lot of knowledge, and they not being a hive mind).
So, most likely "yes" to both. And this neither supports nor contradicts any interpretation, again.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 20 Feb 2021 16:51:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000